starting strength gym

Thread: Re-setting/re-programming the Deadlift

Default Re-setting/re-programming the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches,

First off: 25 yr old male, 6'1" 205 lbs. Wasn't a true beginner when I started Starting Strength - fucked around with my own PPL "program" for a few years before without really focusing on strength gains but made some anyway - so I only did SS for about 3 months before I started stalling pretty consistently. Maybe could've gotten a little more out of LP, but decided to jump to the Texas Method. I've been running it for almost 3 months now.

My current 5RM's are: 335 S // 225 B // 145 OHP. I don't do power cleans.

I left deadlifts out for a reason. I didn't really do deadlifts hardly at all before I started SS and had a lot of trouble executing the form properly. I took the easy way out and switched to a sumo style, which I could do more comfortably, so I stuck with them. I recently started hitting a wall with my sumo deadlifts (365x3) while my squat was still progressing. I suspected it was because my posterior chain was weak, so I decided I want to switch back to conventional style to train it better than the sumo style.

Trouble is, I'm experiencing the same kinds of form problems that caused me to switch to sumo. Even with weight at or below my squat weight (yes, I'm hitting depth) I'm experiencing a lot of lower and middle back rounding, which I think is largely due to weakness that was masked by the more upright back in the sumo deadlift. In order to strengthen my posterior muscles and get the form down, I think I'm going to have to do a hard reset.

My question is: how can I program more deadlift frequency into the Texas Method without negatively affecting my other lifts, particularly the squat? I want to deadlift more often because 1). I don't think 1x5 once a week is enough for me to get the form down, and 2). I'll essentially be starting over at novice weights, so I should benefit more by treating myself as a novice lifter, right? I'm wondering if I can deadlift maybe twice a week without hurting my squats, or if I'll have to take my medicine and reset my squat a little as well while my deadlift gets back up to speed.

Sorry for the kind of long build up to the actual question, I just thought some background was important to understanding my situation. Thanks in advance for your help.

Without seeing your deadlift, I think a visit to a coach is in order. Where do you live in Ohio?

If you are staring out with light-ish weights, just deadlift on volume and intensity days. You will be fine to start. Probably just work up to a set of five on each day. Once that gets difficult, you can make one of those deadlift days lighter, or move to power cleans. For lighter deadlifts, you could stick to 1x5, or do 2x5, provided the loading is appropriately chosen.

I live in Columbus. I've posted a video of my deadlift below that I've posted previously in the technique section. Let me know if you see anything there. I think I know what I'm doing (or rather not doing) but I'm just having trouble making myself do it. I've re-read the section in Starting Strength on deadlifts and I'm going to keep experimenting with setup cues until one sticks.

Thanks for the advice on deadlifting on VD and ID. That's what I thought I should do, but I wanted reassurance. I'll reset down to 275 or so and work my way back up from there until the weight gets back up to a more suitable level. Then maybe switch to lighter deadlifts, RDL's, or power cleans on VD, like you suggested.

Your third rep was the best from a bar position perspective. You are continually pushing the bar too far forward with your shins. You did not do that on the third rep. Unfortunately, you did not really set your back on the third rep, either. Leave the bar in place over the midfoot. Arch your back. Your hips will be higher than you want. You will be less comfortable than you want.