starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check requested for arcing bar path

Default Form check requested for arcing bar path

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

Can you explain what I am doing that is creating a bar path that arcs? I keep the "master cue" in my mind and it FEELS like I'm dropping straight down, but the video shows otherwise. This is set #3, so I'm pretty gassed and it feels really heavy, but in vids #1 and #2 the arc is worse. Those are available upon request as per "one vid per post" sticky rule. Thank you so much for your time!

Are you twisting slightly? Is the bar rolling up on your shoulders at all during these?

Yes for both. Since this post, I think I may have figured out my problem thanks to re-discovering an article written by Bill Hannon SSC regarding thoracic flexion in the squat. I seem to have all the symptoms of a 'soft upper back'. When I try and employ the corrective measures, however, I feel like I'm doing a low bar front squat....in other words, like I'm not leaning forward enough.

Today, my program calls for 3x3 heavy squats. I don't know that you'll see this post before I start, but if so, what would be the most advantageous camera angle for review? The standard 4-5o'clock position; or a direct side or rear view?

The default is a rear oblique from hip height. If we need something else, we can go from there.

Hey Tom,

Given the obstacles, this was the best I could do yesterday with camera position for rear oblique. I don't know how helpful it will be. I didn't notice any twisting, but I wonder if it is present because my left groin muscle kept twinging with every rep out of the hole. By set #3, it was bad enough I quit after two reps...fearing a third would've caused an outright pull.

***STICKY VIOLATION ALERT*** (since I was only doing triples, I included both set #2 and #3....for a total of five reps )

For some reason, I just can't seem to find that sweet spot where everything gels and the weight doesn't feel that heavy. My personal critique is bar not low enough in set #2 and maybe too low in #3. Dunno, very frustrated! (Still, thank you so much for your time!)

No twisting that I could see from here, either. Depth was a little short on most reps and it looks like you are on your toes a bit on on some of your ascents. Take some weight off the bar. I would rather see a set of five for the purposes of coaching. Go deeper. Think heels on the ascent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    No twisting that I could see from here, either. Depth was a little short on most reps and it looks like you are on your toes a bit on on some of your ascents. Take some weight off the bar. I would rather see a set of five for the purposes of coaching. Go deeper. Think heels on the ascent.
    Whatever I was doing wrong was seriously tweaking my right groin, especially in the 3rd set. I had the strength for one more rep, but I felt it would've cost a pulled groin....so, 'no go'. It seems like every time I fix one aspect of my squat, another goes off the rails. I've had enough. To wit, I have signed up for the SS seminar in St Louis this August. If I can't get my squat form dialed in after that....well, the couch and 2hrs of Maury Povich every day are always an option!

As always, a BIG 'thank you' to you and the other coaches for your time and help!

Here is my latest set of 5 at 315#. It was supposed to have been a 3x5 workout, but I only managed to get 5 reps on my first set. The other two sets I couldn't get more than 3 reps.

I think my first two reps were okay....third was fair....fourth and fifth look more like good-mornings than squats. Lost tightness in torso and/or hamstrings? You're comments greatly appreciated, sir!

Reps two and four were your best. Good balance and good depth. You are not doing a good morning on any of these. The fifth would have been decent, too, had you not cut it off early. You still have a tendency to get forward. This was especially apparent on reps one and three. At the end of the day, these are good squats overall. Stay in balance on all your reps and keep the bar over the midfoot and you are golden. Nice work.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Reps two and four were your best. Good balance and good depth. You are not doing a good morning on any of these. The fifth would have been decent, too, had you not cut it off early. You still have a tendency to get forward. This was especially apparent on reps one and three. At the end of the day, these are good squats overall. Stay in balance on all your reps and keep the bar over the midfoot and you are golden. Nice work.
    Thanks, Tom! I remembered your your 'heels' command for my ascent on reps #2-5, but the weight felt REALLY heavy this week and my concentration just broke down. On the bright side, no groin tweakage....so that's a win in my book. I'll work on NOT getting forward by keeping the master cue burned into my brain. I keep thinking 'lean forward' on my way down, but maybe my anthropometry requires a bit less of that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast