starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 215lb: Questioning back angle

Default Squat Form Check - 215lb: Questioning back angle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat 215lb Link

Stats: 181lb, 5' 10", short legs Came down in weight from very gross form, grindy 245lb reps.

I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to get the weight from shifting forwards out of the hole (gets worse as reps progress). The bar path seems vertical on the way down, but seems to loop forwards on the way up. I think I'm setting my knees correctly; they don't seem to move much in the video.

Am I leading too much with the hips? In other words, do I need to open my hip angle sooner rather than my knee angle out of the hole? I know that the master cue of staying on midfoot should solve it eventually, but I can't seem to get myself to do it.

Very much appreciate any help provided.

You train with jwilson don't you? I recognize the sweet Ronny Coleman poster.

Your squats aren't bad, but you are actually lacking hip drive, not suffering from too much of it. Don't let your knees go quite as far forward. Drive your ass up. Otherwise, your squats look decent.

Thanks for the response. Yep, that was his 'gift' to me for setting up a home gym. That, and never ending Ronnie-ism yelling.

After another re-read of the article Squat Mechanics: A Clarification:

...correct back angle... ...holding it as constant as possible... ....Nearly constant: the initiation of the movement out of the bottom with the hips will look like a very small change in back angle as the hips lead out of the hole. This is actually produced with a very slight knee extension... ...If the back angle changes to the extent that the bar drifts forward of the mid-foot balance point, or if too much back angle is lost horizontally, it changes the mechanics of the lift.
    I think I understand now: I initially thought the leading of the hips would cause the bar to go over my toes, but really it's lead with the hips to the extent that the knees back can still compensate to keep the bar over midfoot.

Correct.

These felt much better (and lighter)! I worked on my knees first, that kept the bar over midfoot. I think the bar path looks much better. I definitely still need more hip drive, but I think I've been able to add a bit of it, particularly the 2/3rd reps:

Squat - 215lb: Check #2

I think I'm on the right path. Much thanks Tom!

Pretty good. Make your stance an inch wider. Drop your elbows a bit. You are doing much better with your hips, too. Well done.

Thanks again. Added 15lb over three more squat sessions, feeling like they should - heavy, but not impossible.

I'm curious what you see that calls for the slightly wider stance? I'm weary of widening it from months ago on my LP with a stance that was too wide, which was impinging something in my left hip. Could be that I could widen stance with a bit more knees out to prevent this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by throwinshapes View Post
    I'm curious what you see that calls for the slightly wider stance?
    Judgment call, but it is hard to say for sure from here.

Quote Originally Posted by throwinshapes View Post
    I'm weary of widening it from months ago on my LP with a stance that was too wide, which was impinging something in my left hip. Could be that I could widen stance with a bit more knees out to prevent this.
    If the wider stance was bothering your hip, stay where you are and profit.