starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risking Biceps Tear in DL?

Default Risking Biceps Tear in DL?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    315x5 - YouTube

Am I risking a biceps tear in my supine hand during these DL's? Do I just need to cue "straight elbows" or is it something else with my setup?

P.S. My current goal is to beat a.z.b on most red/most horrific/most veiny/most disgusting Valsalva faces. How am I doing?

I don't really know, but I'd guess you're at a higher risk than if you kept your arms properly straight. I don't have hard data on the frequency or risk of these tears, but anecdotally, it's pretty low and usually occurs at much heavier weights than this. However, most good pullers who get strong enough to do that much weight learn early on not to pull with bent arms. So there's that.

I would guess (though it's only a guess) that if you couldn't straighten your elbows and had a more acute carrying angle, that your risk would be lower because your body is more adapted to that position, but that really would just be a guess. However, it appears as if you do get your arm straight at some point in the set-up, but then bend it again. You shouldn't do that. Whether the risk is high or low, I'm pretty sure it's higher than it would be with your arms straight, and with such an easy thing to fix, there's no reason not to.

Also, sorry bro - Austin has still got you beat by a good margin on the deadlift face.

I think I've just watched one too many YouTube biceps tears videos (and yes they're pulling way more weight). I usually cue straight elbows in the beginning but then once the pull starts other things enter the mind (e.g. "Omfg this is heavy"). I'll work on focusing on the cue longer and see if that works.

(Also, I missed that I'm dropping my hips too right before I pull :/)

P.S. Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, shoot for the starts right? Austin might actually be coaching me soon, so maybe he'll fill me in on the secret, but I doubt it.

It can also happen with perfectly straight arms. Using steroids increases this chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    I think I've just watched one too many YouTube biceps tears videos (and yes they're pulling way more weight). I usually cue straight elbows in the beginning but then once the pull starts other things enter the mind (e.g. "Omfg this is heavy"). I'll work on focusing on the cue longer and see if that works.

(Also, I missed that I'm dropping my hips too right before I pull :/)

P.S. Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, shoot for the starts right? Austin might actually be coaching me soon, so maybe he'll fill me in on the secret, but I doubt it.
    If the same cue repeated over and over doesn't work for you, use another. Also, who is in charge of your body? You. Bending the elbows in the DL is not normal beyond a very short introductory period, and even then only for a small % of people. You tell your body what to do, it doesn't just move into all sorts of impossible to control patterns willy nilly. Obviously heavy loads and complicated movements make this more difficult, but almost no one who has been instructed properly bends their arms while pulling beyond a few sessions because not bending your arms while pulling is way easier, for example, than not letting the knees slide during squat or not letting the knees go soft during Press 2.0. You're in charge of your arms, you tell them to stay straight, they will. This is a pretty easy part of the movement to do right.

But if that's not enough, try: Pose your triceps while pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    It can also happen with perfectly straight arms.
    What about "I'd guess you're at a higher risk than if you kept your arms straight" didn't convey this point? Oh right, nothing.

Sure, I just wanted to check to see if there were any relatively common anthropometric reasons to not expect fully locked elbows. But I'm glad to know that I just don't know how to work my arms. I feel a lot better now.

Thanks Wolf.

Pats on the back and participation trophies cost extra. The free advice comes undiluted. It's obvious from this very video that you can straighten your arms, and it's also unusual for someone to have trouble with this beyond very early sessions. I can't change those facts. But you can straighten your arms if you want. Alas, you are not a special snowflake.

Alas, I can't tell if my dry sense of humor was detected or not. But thanks again for the help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Alas, I can't tell if my dry sense of humor was detected or not. But thanks again for the help.
    It wasn't. Oh whale.

But hey, look at this! You actually can, in fact, control your own arms and keep them straight with no bend at your elbow. Keep it up, and you'll be just fahne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast