starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check Please

Default Squat Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coaches. Thought'd I'd have someone take a look at my squats. I think they've improved but wanted to get some more eyes on them. I know I'm getting forward in the hole, and I'm TUBOWing to help with more consistent knee positioning.

Thanks for the time.

Squat, 345 x 5 x 5 (5) - YouTube

Narrow your stance a bit. When you get to the bottom, don't let go and become more upright. Stay tight and drive right back up. Otherwise, very nice squats.

Great, thanks for the feedback Tom. Are most of these a matter of "just do X"?

Sorry for the quick posting, just thought of one more thing. How can you tell stance width too wide from this angle? Is it just where my feet are, or something about the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by damufunman View Post
    How can you tell stance width too wide from this angle? Is it just where my feet are, or something about the movement?
    I will quote justice Potter Stevens here. "I know it when I see it." Also, the angle at which your legs are pointing away from your body would suggest a wider than normal stance. Given that this is video, I reserve the right to be incorrect about that assessment.

No, you are right, my stance is a bit wider than normal. I have noticed and tried bringing it in a bit, but always seem to creep back out. Thank you for taking a look; it is much appreciated.

Ok, one more here then I'll go away. Brought my stance in yesterday, had a bit more trouble staying tight at the bottom. Is knee position/movement acceptable? I'm thinking can still use some work.

Thanks!

Squat, 350 x 5 x 5(5) - YouTube

Looks like your knees are moving forward and in a bit, although your squats look good overall. Get your knees forward earlier and keep them there. I would need to see an angle more at a 45 to say more about if your knees are out enough.

One last Squat video then I'm done for real this time. My fifth single at 410 from last night. I couldn't quite get a 45 due to the giant rear upright, but here's a behind shot (sorry for the ass-in-face and weird light), I think it shows my sideways knee movement pretty well.
    Squat, 410 x 1 x 5 (5) (back view) - YouTube

Again, thanks for all the help Tom, I hope I can get to a point where I can give back to the forum as you guys do.

starting strength coach development program
    Strong squat. Way to hold together through the middle. The camera is too high for me to comment on depth and your stance could still potentially come in a half inch to an inch. Believe it or not, a wide stance can make it a little harder to keep the knees out. All that is rather nit-picky, however. Good work.