starting strength gym

Thread: Glenoid Labrum Repair

Default Glenoid Labrum Repair

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 4 weeks post op from Labrum Repair on my right shoulder (SLAP 2a + Bankart -> 12'o'clock to 5'o'clock )
    3 anchors have been used. I was a late novice as far as lifting is concerned.
    Now, my surgeon keeps telling me how it'll take 1 year before i can really get back to lifting which seems way too long in my opinion.
    He seems to be taking an over cautious approach IMO.
    I used to overhead press heavy as well as do direct external rotator work for many many months pre-op.

now i remember reading somewhere that Coach Horn has had a labrum repair sometime in the past.
    So i would like to know the physio-theraphy he or anyone else here underwent.
    Also When did you get back to lifting?
    I assume deadlifting can come much earlier than presses, chins etc?
    Anything relevant is appreciated. Thanks

No one here is going to give you direct medical advice, but here's my story:

I had a bigger labrum tear than you do, and had surgery on it last Spring. Required 7 anchors. For the first 5.5 weeks, I did exactly as I was told and did the standard physical therapy for it. I started deadlifting (very light - 115 lbs when my max had been over 600 before - but going up about 20 lbs per session, 3x/week) at 5.5. weeks and starting doing the PVC pipe in the rings protocol detailed on this website a few days later at 6 weeks. Since I had been so diligent with doing my "active-assisted" stretches before that, it was only a matter of a few days or a week till I could get into full ROM overhead to lockout a press. Not on my first rep of the day, but after some warm-up and stretching it out with the ring protocol. At that point, I would warm up with an empty PVC and then add 2.5 per day to the PVC pipe presses in the rings till I got to 15 lbs. After that, I'd do a warm-up set or two with the PVC in the rings and then press the 15 lb training bar from the rack, and again added 2.5-5 lbs per day, usually 5-6 days per week for the first few weeks.

At my 3 month check-up, the surgeon was so shocked and impressed with my recovery that he dismissed me. He said I was as good as he hopes a post-labrum repair patient would be after 6 months, even though it had only been three months, and so he didn't need to see me again unless I was having a specific issue in which case I should call him etc. He didn't ask me how I did it, mind you and would probably have been horrified if I told him.

Once the weight was heavy enough, I trained the press 3 days per week and did really light, higher rep work another 1-3 days per week. I tried to start benching again after 3 months but it was too soon, but at about the 4-4.5 month mark I could start benching again.

4 months after the surgery, I push-pressed 275. 8 months after the surgery I tied my all time press PR at 265. 11 months after the surgery, I hit a new press PR at 290, and a new bench PR at 465. I will probably never get my full pre-injury ROM back, but I can easily lock out in the overhead press position with no warm-up and haven't had any pain or instability issues since.

If you read my training log during this time (injury in November, 2015; surgery in April, 2016), you can get the details, a few of which I might be misremembering.

YMMV
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 07-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    I will probably never get my full pre-injury ROM back, but I can easily lock out in the overhead press position with no warm-up and haven't had any pain or instability issues since. YMMV
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    No one here is going to give you direct medical advice, but here's my story:

I had a bigger labrum tear than you do, and had surgery on it last Spring. Required 7 anchors. For the first 5.5 weeks, I did exactly as I was told and did the standard physical therapy for it. I started deadlifting (very light - 115 lbs when my max had been over 600 before - but going up about 20 lbs per session, 3x/week) at 5.5. weeks and starting doing the PVC pipe in the rings protocol detailed on this website a few days later at 6 weeks. Since I had been so diligent with doing my "active-assisted" stretches before that, it was only a matter of a few days or a week till I could get into full ROM overhead to lockout a press. Not on my first rep of the day, but after some warm-up and stretching it out with the ring protocol. At that point, I would warm up with an empty PVC and then add 2.5 per day to the PVC pipe presses in the rings till I got to 15 lbs. After that, I'd do a warm-up set or two with the PVC in the rings and then press the 15 lb training bar from the rack, and again added 2.5-5 lbs per day, usually 5-6 days per week for the first few weeks.

At my 3 month check-up, the surgeon was so shocked and impressed with my recovery that he dismissed me. He said I was as good as he hopes a post-labrum repair patient would be after 6 months, even though it had only been three months, and so he didn't need to see me again unless I was having a specific issue in which case I should call him etc. He didn't ask me how I did it, mind you and would probably have been horrified if I told him.

Once the weight was heavy enough, I trained the press 3 days per week and did really light, higher rep work another 1-3 days per week. I tried to start benching again after 3 months but it was too soon, but at about the 4-4.5 month mark I could start benching again.

4 months after the surgery, I push-pressed 275. 8 months after the surgery I tied my all time press PR at 265. 11 months after the surgery, I hit a new press PR at 290, and a new bench PR at 465. I will probably never get my full pre-injury ROM back, but I can easily lock out in the overhead press position with no warm-up and haven't had any pain or instability issues since.

If you read my training log during this time (injury in November, 2015; surgery in April, 2016), you can get the details, a few of which I might be misremembering.

YMMV
    Thanks for the well detailed response !
    since you had 7 anchors, i take it yours was a SLAP+Bankart as well, extending to a greater angle.
    In that case, you had any impingement pain/symptoms at the top of the press in the first few weeks?
    Did you do any other theraphy other than the ring protocol ?

My surgeon warns me that the Anchors may come out of the bone @<1 year if the shoulder is taken to its limits...Got any similar warning?
    If i have healed completely and the anchors come out, would it still be a problem?

As of now i've thought of starting Deadlifting very light @8 weeks and see it from there since i wasn't very strong prior to the surgery anyway.

Yes, I had an almost full circumferential labral tear. I definitely recall the top of the press being uncomfortable after the injury, don't recall if I had it on the surgical recovery. I did the standard outpatient physical therapy twice a week starting at 3.5 weeks out to about 8 weeks, then once a week for another few weeks. At was very useful at first to get the manual work and passive ROM stretching before I could do it actively on my own, but once I was at about the 6 week mark and was doing active rehab myself, I probably would have stopped going if it weren't a) located a 3 minute walk from where I live and b) a $6 co-pay per visit.

I did not receive any such concerns about the anchors coming out from my surgeon, nor from Drs. Petrizzo and Alter, SSCs, who I discussed the surgery and rehab with at length. But it's sufficiently beyond my are of expertise that just because that was my experience doesn't mean it's 100% generalizable to every other repair and rehab.