starting strength gym

Thread: Ruptured Eardrum

Default Ruptured Eardrum

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Probably ear infection from swimmers ear exacerbated by valsalva technique.

Anybody ever have this issue? Recommendations? Pretty sure Dr will tell me not to lift for weeks.

It is hard not to do the Valsalva throughout the day. Does it hurt when you do? If not, you may be just fine lifting. Pain will probably be your guide here. We'll ask since I don't have any direct experience with this. I reserve the right to be incorrect about this.

Eustachian tube connects to your airway above the glottis.

I think this means that a valsalva done with your lips open won't pressurize your eardrum.

My physician said once it's ruptured and the fluid is released there's no more pressure and no concern about lifting.

It wasn't lifting that caused it, just made it more uncomfortable prior to rupture.

I appreciate you both taking the time to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I reserve the right to be incorrect about this.
    I like that disclaimer. I'm probably going to start using it for everything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Eustachian tube connects to your airway above the glottis.

I think this means that a valsalva done with your lips open won't pressurize your eardrum.
    If you close off at the epiglottis (thing you cough with), you shouldn't pressurize your middle ear via the Eustachian tubes.

If your epiglottis is open and your soft palate (thing you trigger when blowing out a candle or play a horn) is closed, then you've also closed off access to the Eustachian tubes. This is why you have to pinch your nose in order to pop your ears.

You'd still feel some pressure in the ears even with a closed epiglottis, but I think that's from the general intracranial pressure and shouldn't include an imbalance of pressure across the eardrum. I've had a vessel in my ear do something (pop? swell? I don't know) to cause a brief fluffy loss of hearing during a deadlift. It freaked me out but went away after a day.

I like Tom's pain approach. Titrate. It might even be beneficial to the recovery process???
    Austin's probably got some sick knowledge being a former swimmer and current doctor person.

Further reading (under the Background section):
    The Valsalva & Stroke | Jonathon Sullivan

I am not a doctor, but I do play trumpet (I'm told the money's about the same) and have had my share of stupid ENT stuff (swimmers' ear, infections, even an effusion a couple weeks ago) including a blocked/infected saliva gland where my doctor and dentist argued back and forth about it being mumps or a dental abscess. Idiots. Don't use Q-tips.