starting strength gym

Thread: Wolf, HAAAALP.

Default Wolf, HAAAALP.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wolf,
    I may have an opportunity to teach a BB-based strength class at a nearby gym. I'm currently just a lowly PT at a commercial gym (and I've had pretty good success implementing some form of SS with Masters clients here) so this is basically a sick opportunity for me, my ultimate goal being the SSC credential.

I'm obviously open to any input from anyone, but I know you have had the experience of implementing SS in a non-SS gym, so I'd like any input you have on preparing myself for such an endeavor.

Thank ya thank ya

Did you watch the podcast I did with Rip about this, last April?

I certainly would encourage the podcast to be viewed. Besides telling crossfit peeps they need to get stronger and how Mr. Wolf does that, the discussion also centers around a Star Wars/Star Trek debate. I give it 4.5 popcorn bags.

Yes. Is any and all advice within that video?

No but it's a good start and would be redundant to type a bunch of stuff that's already been discussed there. I am scheduled to give a short presentation about this at the coaches' conference this year, so keep your eyes out here for that to post sometime after the conference, and that will be a good follow-up.

What kind of gym is this?

Dlk - I was replying to your post and mistakenly hit edit, instead of reply, so ended up mangling it. Sorry about that. But I'm replying to your main points and questions here.

I'm wondering how the strength class will interact with that class
    (note: referring to a cross training class that goes on in the gym)

This is key. You want to be 100% clear and exactly certain of what space and equipment you'll have access to, vs having other people doing random things in your space when you expected to be able to use it for your class. That's one of the most important logistical things to work out.

The other key top tier issues, once equipment quality and equipment/space availability are covered are probably:
    * How will you organize the class - will it be a cycle with set start and end times, or will it be rolling admission and anyone can join for any number of classes and leave anytime?
    * How will you be getting compensated for this? (which will somewhat depend on the answer to the previous Q)
    * Is it open to anyone or only members of the gym (as far as who you can market to?
    * Will the people be dedicated exclusively to strength while you have them, or will they still be doing other stuff? If so, is it totally random and can they do whatever they want, or do you have some measure of control/input here? This will also affect programming, as you obviously can't run a by-the-book/DTFP linear progression with people who are doing your class on Monday and Friday, pilates and 2 hours of cardio Tuesday and Thursday, that Crosstraining class on Weds, and Soulcycle and bootcamp on the weekends. This is not an exaggeration, either, I've had people who wanted to take my cycle but didn't because they couldn't give up their 2-3 classes per day, 6-7 days per week schedule, all of random exercise. Even for just 8 weeks. Some other people did manage to give it up, and all but one loved the cycle in the end. But many wouldn't even try because of their exercise addiction. This is something that individual classes mitigates, but on the other hand, they can only really learn the technique and won't make any serious strength increases (beyond what they can get from technique improvements over the first few weeks) if they do all that other shit.

How did/do you control for diet amongst the people in your classes? Did you manage to concvince them that gaining a few pounds in the 8 week cycle might be necessary for progress?
    Control for? This is not a laboratory experiment. I tell them, almost every class, to eat more and give more specific advice to people who actually show interest in listening. The ones who do so, inevitably do much better and progress linearly for a longer period of time. Less commonly, I need to tell someone to eat less, but it happens. In the same way, if they show interest, I'll give them more specific advice.

Thanks for the lengthy response. I'm meeting with the owner next week, so I'll be considering these points in the meantime.

Lol "control for". Sorry, odd diction on my part. But yea, I was just wondering how you approached the diet aspect with the participants. From you response it looks like it's just a general recommendation to eat more, though I'm sure it's still a case by case basis, since some clients won't need to gain weight. For the stubborn individuals, or perhaps those who just lost a significant amount of weight and consider any form of weight gain evil, how do approach them?

Most people I deal with are too skinny/small and need to gain weight. A much smaller % need to lose weight, and an even smaller % are about right where they are and will positively improve their body fat % by staying right where they are while getting stronger. The approach will differ depending on the population, of course. You can give people proper information but you can't make them believe it or act on it.

So I talked to the guy and what a bunch of bullshittery that was.

First of all, they already have a "strength" "program" and they're just looking for a "coach" to "coach" the class (yes, the repetitive use of scare quotes is intentional). I told him my purpose for being there and my goal to become a SSC. I ran by him the idea of having a strength based cycle that people, whether one on one or group, could take in order to get better at the sort of "Cross Training" "program" that they have going on there, or to just develop strength because, well, strength is useful.

He wasn't buying it at all. He said, firstly, that no old lady is going to be excited about getting her bench press (for example) up. I said, well to the contrary, all of the clients that I've had have been older clients and they seem quite excited to take their squat from less than bodyweight to squatting 70+ pounds for reps, and are equally excited to have 0 mobility or strength in their shoulders to then being able to press a 45 pound bar and more straight up in a perfect line over their head.

He said secondly that people do not come to me (as a personal trainer) for knowledge, but rather encouragement, accountability, etc. He said my personality wasn't "contagious" (I wasn't blooming with vibrancy and color). Well, first of all, I'm sorry but I'm not here to cure your depression, or your lack of self-esteem, at least not in any direct sense. I'm not going to give you a program that will not give you long term results and lie to you everyday saying that it's getting you closer to your goals when it's not, all for the sake of making you feel a little better. Maybe that's a worthwhile pursuit for someone but not me. There are too many people out there who are already self-motivated enough and who want the kind of help that I could offer if only I had the chance, or who are smart enough to know how to use the training program to motivate them.

It was clear that he was in the sells and bullshittery business, not in the making people better business, though he had seemed to have fully deceived himself that he was doing the latter, probably because self-deception in that situation is the only way to survive, mentally, spiritually, morally, and even physically.

Despite the pay bump it would have awarded me, I explained to him that it wouldn't really get me any closer to my goal of being a SSC, and I explained to myself that I just can't seem to bring myself to lie to people and smile everyday at them telling them how well they're doing and to encourage them to keep coming back and working hard towards a goal that is unattainable by the methods we're trying to use to get there. Who knew that would be so hard?

Anyways, the search goes on. I may try a few local high schools, crossfit boxes and maybe this hardcore powerlifting/bodybuilding type gym not too far away.

Thanks for the help Wolf.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, that sucks.