starting strength gym

Thread: Very sharp pain during descent on squat

Default Very sharp pain during descent on squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I posted a few questions regarding my form in the strength and conditioning section of the site so if this is redundant or breaks policy my apologies, I'll delete the other posts if necessary and possible.

For some context, I'm 37, 155lbs BW and have taken a few classes on SS program. I've been dealing with some typical form techniques, not enough hip drive and bar bath, etc but was told my form isn't grossly off. Today, I was working out at my gym and on my 2nd set of my 2nd squat I felt a sharp sudden pain in my lower back. Naturally, I stopped and now I'm not feeling a decent amount of stiffness and pain.

It's frustrating to say the least that I'm not making progress and keep hitting these walls (2nd back tweak in only 4 moths).

Any advice on what went wrong or what to do next is greatly appreciated!

I have below a post of my first set, prior to the pain, where I performed a full 5 reps. I have the video for the 2nd set where the pain set in if that's helpful, then I can post that as well.

Thanks!

7/22 squat - 180lbs - YouTube

Probably more helpful to see the set where it actually happened, but from what I can see here:
    1. You let your back round a little at the bottom
    2. Then look up as you ascend and try to lift your chest/do a back extension instead of drive your hips

While it's unusual for these issues to manifest in a tweak with 180 lbs, some people are just unlucky. You need to learn how to keep your back flat/extended and drive with your hips. These things are covered in great detail in the book and many articles and videos on this site. If you've already read and watched those all multiple times and still can't do it, I will try to help further, but sometimes some in person coaching is needed for people who really struggle with those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mvs512 View Post
    For some context, I'm 37, 155lbs BW and have taken a few classes on SS program.
    Were these classes taught by an SSC? Recently?

Naturally, I stopped and now I'm not feeling a decent amount of stiffness and pain.
    You're not feeling a decent amount of stiffness and pain?

Thanks for the feedback, it's helpful. I've been trying to fix the issue looking up and believe it or not, it's gotten much better but not 100%. It's become innate over time and very hard to correct.

Yes, I've recently been to a few classes with a qualified starting strength coach in NY and was informed that I need to keep my knees out and prevent them from rolling in. I was also instructed to drive up with the hips but it's something I'm just not able to execute; I never would have imagined it to be this difficult. I also watched a lot of videos by Mark Rippetoe and have read the book for the chapter that covers the squat. I'm still reading the book through for the deadlift and other movements, although I do have the official SS app which includes highlights from each chapter. That I have read through several times.

There was a typo in the part about the pain...now I'm a full 24hrs in and the pain is excruciating. I can't stand up straight, sit for too long or make any sudden movements. Basically just popping alieve and icing the area. I'll definitely need a PT session for further evaluation.

He's the video from the last set before the pain set in for context.

7/22 squat - 180lbs w sharp pain - YouTube

Thanks again for your feedback.

Mike

There is nothing obviously injurious in your video. In fact, the first squat looked just fine. Back pain and injuries are multi-factorial. At 37, you are overdue for back pain. Sorry. As a human, this is your lot in life, as it is for all of us. The good news is that you are going to heal and feel better. The path forward here has been trod by many, including both Wolf and I. You are going to hurt for a couple of days. Hit the ibuprofen hard (look up a loading dose of ibuprofen) for about four days. After two to four days of taking it easy, you will start to move as much as you can. That may be walking. The path to a stronger, pain-free back will, believe it or not, be through the barbell. Start lifting the empty bar as soon as you can. I say this as someone who has a few herniated discs and has rendered myself almost unable to walk out of the gym while squatting. That happened in 2009, or so. I started squatting a couple of days later with the empty bar. Shit hurt for a while, but it got better. I got significantly stronger over time and my back more or less doesn't bother me these days. Hurting your back is marvelously instructive. You learn better how not to do it again. I have not suffered a serious back injury since that one in 2009 and although many minor tweaks have occurred since, almost nothing cost me significant training time. Take heart. This will get better. You will probably need to get bigger and stronger and it may take a little while. As someone who sought help from multiple doctors and PTs for back pain, I can attest that I am much better at diagnosing and rehabbing my own back than any of them were. You will decide to make yourself better and thus it shall be.