starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does squat grip strengthen the biceps?

Default Does squat grip strengthen the biceps?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Maybe a stupid question. But it is obvious that since the back is not literally, 90 degrees vertical to the floor, something is resisting its sliding down the back. Is it eccentric tension in the biceps and shoulders?

I ask for peace of mind, and because my biceps have been growing a lot even though the only thing I do where they are operative is rows 1.5 times a week.

I just want to be clear that you are worried that your biceps are getting bigger without you doing directed arm work. Am I correct about this?

Also relevant:

On a more serious note, the work of the arms in the squat is isometric, not eccentric. The biceps get at least a little work in just about all of the Starting Strength lifts. Deadlifts with the hook grip being perhaps the least stressful from the biceps' perspective. Mount Bicepius. Work that peak. Mota' twos, motha' fuckah.

For some peeps, this can cause hypertrophy in the biceps. Others need more chins, curls, commandments to grow, etc...

No, I'm not worried at all lol. It's just stunning to me how they're growing without significant direct work. I just wanted to understand. I've probably gained say close to two inches on my biceps since starting a 5-lift program a month and a half ago.

I also wanted piece of mind, that I will indeed get stronger at keeping the bar in place. I have nightmares of a 405 pound loaded bar sliding down my back.

Most of the weight of the bar is borne by the back. You get better at holding the heavier weights by progressively adding appropriate increments. Glad to hear that your biceps are coming along for the party, too.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 07-25-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Eye k'ant spel

I retain a bit of my blue pill on this. It is just one of those moments where I want to stop talking because of how clear things have become - squatting three times a week, alone, has probably done more for my arms than months of 10 rep bro splits. Of course getting adequate nutrition and calories and actually eating to grow for the first time in my life is a dominant factor as well, but it is just extraordinary nonetheless.

Re that blue pill, my thought process was that of COURSE my biceps won't be getting strong enough to hold four plates in place when I get there, and I was psyching myself out. But its not of major concern for me, since my last PR squat below parallel was 195 for 5.

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    squatting three times a week, alone, has probably done more for my arms than months of 10 rep bro splits. Of course getting adequate nutrition and calories and actually eating to grow for the first time in my life is a dominant factor as well, but it is just extraordinary nonetheless.
    I personally doubt this is the case... Indirect isometric (bad for hypertrophy) bicep work from squatting is somehow > direct full ROM bicep work. I suspect the difference is the latter portion of what I quoted.

When you say that your biceps are getting growing, are you referring to just the biceps or the whole upper arm? If you're referring to the whole upper arm (which I suspect you are), it's growing most likely because your triceps are worked pretty hard in the bench and the press.

starting strength coach development program
    It is all the brootal gridecorez that release the gainz, sis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast