starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: F, 26yo, 5'11", 160 lbs, running SS

I hurt my lower back while attempting to squat 100 lbs for 3x5 a few weeks ago. I deloaded to the empty bar and have been working my way up. I'd like a form check to make sure I'm on the right track this time so I avoid another injury. This is the last set from my last workout.

Squat form check -- 75 lbs for 5

Thanks for your help!

Your squats aren't bad, but you are moving your back around more than I would like to see. You flex slightly on the way down and go into overextension on the way up. I would rather see you get tight and not move your back much at all. At the top of the squat, stand up as normally as possible. Don't try to overextend your back. Take a big breath and lock everything down. Hold the same position with your torso as you lean over. On the ascent, resist the temptation to point your chest at the wall in front of you while you are still leaned over. Hold together and drive your hips up until you stand up normally again at the top. Narrow your stance a little, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean in the video. I'll try your suggestions next workout.