starting strength gym

Thread: Training people with naturally hyper-extended elbows.

Default Training people with naturally hyper-extended elbows.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

My wife has been getting into the gym with me, which is certainly nice. I'm helping her learn basic lifts and show her how to use machines, etc. She isn't on a program yet, (I've suggested, she ignored, don't train your spouse, etc)

Her squat is okay, (she breaks parallel when encouraged, has the basics of bracing, the loads are doing a lot for her upper back), refuses to deadlift (but will pull tires -- doesn't have the upperbody mass to flip yet), and will bench and overhead press.

Now on to the real question... her elbows naturally hyper-extend by ~10-15 degrees. (she did dislocated them a couple of times when she was small... under the age of 5)

- Is the hyper-extended lockout a problem? (I certainly looks like one to me)

- Is there a cue or correction to help with a proper lockout on the overhead press and bench?

- If anybody has this problem can you describe how the range of motion feels? (my wife doesn't have a strong mind-muscle connection at this point and need tactile cues to flex muscle groups)

Thanks

That might be normal position for her. She is unlikely to overextend her elbows in an injurious fashion while pressing or benching. Getting stronger may help to hold the joint together better. In the absence of pain or injury, I would not worry too much about it. If it is hurting, she will need to get used to a feeling of less than full lockout.