starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snatch check 95lbs

Default Snatch check 95lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sorry for the bad angle. Gym was busy today. Hopefully calves up shows enough flaws lol.

Snatches 95lb - YouTube

Need a better video (NABV). However, I can tell you for sure that you must set your back in much better extension.

Thank you. I for some reason thought I needed low hips for the snatch. But it is like an actual deadlift[emoji769] yes?

The wide grip in the snatch will result in a different, more horizontal, back angle than a deadlift™. Why are we using the trademark symbol on the deadlift, by the way. Sophisticates prefer the use of Alt 0153 to insert the ASCII character over the use of the emoji. Pro tip right there. Regardless of your back angle and where the bar is in relation to your midfoot, pulling in full flexion is not a good idea and will not result in good force transfer. Emulate this young woman. Note her nice, flat back. Her shoulders are in front of the bar, her shins are more or less vertical, and the bar is over the middle of the foot (or pretty damn close to it).

This image came from Hookgrip's Facebook page. Since the bulletin board software no longer resizes images, I had to crop this down to something more reasonable.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 08-13-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Linky

I do appreciate the time you put into the response. I did snatches and cleans today, and I strove at the start of the first pull to feel like I was pulling from both my tail bone area and the top of my spine, around the traps. So basically, hips and shoulders higher. I had a much more consistent lockout and more intuitive bar path.

By the way, I valsalva explosively at the exact start of the second pull. Think old timey Barnum and Bailey type sound. I breath normally until then. Should I valsalva twice? Or is this ok?

Using the valsalva maneuver entails taking in a big breath, closing the glottis, and holding the breath. You don't "valsalva" when you let the breath out. Hold your breath for the duration of the rep. If you let a little air out at the top of the rack, that is fine.

My question was whether to close the glottis in preparation for the second pull, or for the first pull. But I assume "duration of the rep" includes both pulls?

You need to take a big breath in at the bottom and hold it until you are standing up with the bar overhead. You also need to arch your back at the bottom and hold it in extension through the lift.

So I pulled deads today, and I kept your advice in mind. All I focused on was keeping my lower back extended, and I felt two things: a sort of hinge just at the hips, in terms of joint movement, and muscularly it felt like my whole posterior chain was pulling the bar up. It felt very much like I had unlimited energy to pull from - even though my face was very red and I was obviously trying hard.

Does this sound right?

starting strength coach development program
    I recognize this post was about the snatch, but I figured it was relevant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast