Thread: Squat Check 315x5

Default Squat Check 315x5

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    29yo
    6'2"
    260lbs

I've been working to correct some bad habits that have been plauging for a while. I've been experiencing elbow/upper arm discomfort from allowing my right wrist to flex as I tire. I've also just been feeling out of balance and lacking tightness and control overall.

I notice my wrist flex slightly at the end but I felt no pressure or discomfort this time. I also allow myself to get out on my toes, evidenced by the slight heel lift as I come up. I see that I raise my head once I hit the sticking point and I'm thinking that's having an impact on my balance and hip drive.

These felt much better than my recent squats and I was hoping the coaches can help me pinpoint any other issues I've overlooked. Thanks in advance!

TRIM 20170803 060709 - YouTube

Your stance may be a smidge narrow and your toes overly turned out. Correcting this may help with staying in the mid-foot. You are also overextending your spine. It is your first move on the descent to arch the shit out of your back. Stop doing that. Stay tight and point your chest at the ground. This will make it easier for you to keep your head down and to drive up with your hips.

Tom,

Thanks for your feedback! While waiting for your verdict, I decided to rethink what I had been doing. After re-reading the squat chapter, I tried to lean over much much more and to cut the depth a little. I do figured I was over extending when I saw the dreaded "butting". I also didn't rack it as low on my back as I had been since I got a nice scrape on my back from the bar sliding. I'm not sure if I cut the depth too much, these look borderline to me.

MOV 0174 000 - YouTube

I'll try to not point my toes out as much next time, and I think I can be tighter in my gut. These felt a lot better overall and not because it was lighter. Thanks again for your help!

All of my previous comments still apply. You are in overextension, leading with your chest, and looking up.

Coach,

I'm hoping these show at least some kind of improvement. I was getting frustrated trying to force myself out of old habits. Not sure how successful I was with them, but my main focal points were:

-Toes in more than before
    -Head down. I put tape on the floor and stared at it the entire set.
    -Bend over and don't overextend.
    -Keep the chest pointed at the floor and drive the hips only.

I notice I'm still getting air under the heels. The right foot wasn't even staying planted during the eccentric phase. I came up on my toes pretty hard after the last rep as well.

275x5 - YouTube

Oh, and sorry about my ass hanging out!

Those were much better. As you fatigue, you have to think "heels." The bar will want to drift forward. Don't let it. Narrow your stance a smidge, too.

Ok, just one more check before I forge ahead on my own. Just want to get some confirmation on whether my stance width is correct now and if I'm hitting depth. I feel like I'm getting low but I have big thighs so I'm having a little trouble judging.

280x5 - YouTube

I told myself "heels" throughout the set and it seemed to do the trick.

starting strength coach development program
    Those look pretty damn good, man. Go forth in sin, I say.