starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check please

Default Squat form check please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok on the advice of ‘just fucking record yourself now and upload it’ I have done it!

Video: Squat 70 KG (working set) VIDEO0261.mp4 - Google Drive

and if you want to see my 60 KG warm up: VIDEO0260.mp4 - Google Drive

Context – 6’1, 175 lbs, 26. I’ve squat 100 KG 3x5 in the past but I stopped soon after and am trying to build up again and get to 2x body weight. I do plan to bulk up to 190-200 lbs and know this will help but obviously want to fix form.

Videos - 60 KG was dead easy. Sorry the video kinda sucks with the safety’s in the way and vertical recording… I’ve only included it as it was easy and perhaps my form was better. I did 70 KG to show you a harder set. I know I messed up with my head positioning on my first rep – you can hear a personal trainer was good enough to distract me and ask if I was using a purple rubber band near the rack just as I was setting up. I guess overall it’s pretty representational of my squat. I can already see there’s too much going on with my ass movement. I feel a strain on my lower back and I guess that’s the consequence. But what’s the solution?

I also should note my knees still feel very weak. I feel like my legs are strong enough to lift a lot more but my knees feel like they might buckle. Then again they feel like this with body weight squats…

You are correct that a better video angle is called for, but absent that, we can still provide some input. You are going too deep, flexing your low back, and you are on your toes. Lean over more. Accomplish this by sending your butt back. You need more of your weight behind you so that you can be in balance over the middle of the foot. Try and squat above parallel. It will feel high. Right now, you are relaxing to get your depth and your low back is rounding. This is a no no. Drop your elbows a bit, too. Lastly, sandwiches are your friends. Eat many of them as you train to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are correct that a better video angle is called for, but absent that, we can still provide some input. You are going too deep, flexing your low back, and you are on your toes. Lean over more. Accomplish this by sending your butt back. You need more of your weight behind you so that you can be in balance over the middle of the foot. Try and squat above parallel. It will feel high. Right now, you are relaxing to get your depth and your low back is rounding. This is a no no. Drop your elbows a bit, too. Lastly, sandwiches are your friends. Eat many of them as you train to get stronger.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Regarding depth, I might have went a couple inches lower than normal (subconsciously) but I should be squatting above parallel?

Toes I thought I was fine? I sometimes lift them up slightly to make sure my weight is more to the back of the foot so I drive through the heels.

I'm still not 100 percent sure how I can push my butt out more, but I'll lean forwards more and see if this helps. Looking at the video now I think I see what you mean. If my chest is further forward than this will change my back angle too.

Will eat sandwiches, read the book again, keep reading your advice and post a new video once I've made some adjustments. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fencer View Post
    Regarding depth, I might have went a couple inches lower than normal (subconsciously) but I should be squatting above parallel?
    Yep, you will try and squat above parallel, but probably still get depth. When you go way too deep, squatting to correct depth feels high.

Toes I thought I was fine?
    Nope.

I don’t mean to be greedy of your time nor assume you will check this post, but if you happen to do so and have a spare moment I’ve uploaded my squat today based off the changes suggested.

70 KG again: VIDEO0268.mp4 - Google Drive

Sorry for the crap video (again) but hopefully it’s not too bad. In general it did feel much better on my body, better on my back and better on my knees. It was a bit inconstant as expected for making some changes. I think the bar even moved sideways too much which I know is bad. I’ll read the chapter again and try to see if I can fix that. I think my back movement was a lot better but maybe you think otherwise?

No worries if you don’t have time/nor see this - but if you do cheers!

All of my previous comments still apply. I recommend finding Carl Raghavan and having him give you a hand on this stuff.

https://startingstrength.org/site/coaches

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    All of my previous comments still apply. I recommend finding Carl Raghavan and having him give you a hand on this stuff.

https://startingstrength.org/site/coaches
    Mhm. Actually now a few hours have past my lower back hurts again and my right knee too. Will be read chapter before my next workout and drop the weight.

I'd love to work with Carl but sadly his coaching is well beyond my budget right now. My financial situation will hopefully improve next year so hopefully I can make some progress before then.

You are rounding your back and sliding forward as you relax at the bottom. Knees and backs may not like that.

starting strength coach development program
    Mhm. Actually now a few hours have past my lower back hurts again and my right knee too. Will be read chapter before my next workout and drop the weight.

I'd love to work with Carl but sadly his coaching is well beyond my budget right now. My financial situation will hopefully improve next year so hopefully I can make some progress before then.
    Dude, if this is important to you, you will find a way. People always make time for things that are important to them, no matter what.

Also, I believe he does group sessions on the weekends which are much cheaper. Send him an email to enquire, onward brother!