starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check #3

Default Squat check #3

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Follow up to this one: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-follow.html

(Apologies if this is formatted weird, posting from my phone)

This is 5 pounds heavier than previous check (note that the similarity of the weights over these three checks is partially due to sickness causing me to lose some progress after that first one)

Squat check 8/11/17 - YouTube

This is with a narrower stance, and thrusting knees out wider than my toes. The note last time was to drive up faster out of the bottom and not pause. I'm not sure that it's very successful. I'm driving up as hard as I physically got but it feels like reversing direction at the bottom causes a pause just overcoming inertia.

Of note (or maybe not). On the fourth rep of the next set I couldn't get back up out of the hole and after a second or so my knees buckled and I fell, dropping the weights to the pins. Which is what tends to happen once I get the weight up near 175/180.

Huge thanks for taking the time to look at these. I feel like I'm asking a lot of stupid questions here.

Honestly, these squats aren't too bad. They are all too deep, but you are in much better control. Your knees are not going out wider than your feet. In fact, they need to go out more. Since good portions of you are cut off, I cannot say for sure if your stance is still too wide. I suspect you could still come in an inch. Your knees should not be buckling, nor should you be dropping the bar on the pins. If you fail a squat, you should set the bar down under control on to the safeties. You need to be focused much less about the weight on the bar at this point. Much less. You need to learn how to squat first. You need to be in control of yourself and your knees. Then the weight can go up. Also, weightlifting shoes.

I really appreciate your responses, Tom - I just now discovered that you had actually answered my knee questions previously, but apparently the forum doesn't email me when threads get updated consistently. Sorry for the repetition.

Should I drop all the weight off the bar entirely then? Any guidance for when I can add weight? I'm not finding a lot of specific guidance in either SS or PPSS for situations where the form is just too awful to add weight and you're working solo.

You have repeatedly brought up the weight on the bar in your threads. I am telling you to stop worrying so much about it. If you do a set of five and then fall down and dump the bar on the pins, there is something wrong and you need to be less concerned about going up in weight and more concerned about learning how to squat. I think you should probably stay at the same weight and get your sets. I think you also need to find a coach.