starting strength gym

Thread: quick question/ advice

Default quick question/ advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Long story short I saw a chiro a while back and he said my hip was hiked up and was going to send me to a physical therapist to see about getting a shim for "FLLD". A good friend of mine that lives back in my home town is also a chrio, and I got him to look at it since I trust him and he said that I didn't have anything to worry about and just need to do a bit of mobility for my hip, he did not measure though. He just moved my legs like chiros do and said everything evened out. I know how you guys feel about stretching. I am also familiar with how you guys measure for LLD. My question is could post a video of some heavy squats on here and get a coaches opinion on if they suspect anything? If so is the preferred ankle from the back? I would just go see coach but the closest one is 6 hours away so if I am going to do anything I would rather be sure its worth me doing before hand.

Thank you

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

Question: is your "FLLD" causing any kind of pain, discomfort, or lack of function?

I have been skateboarding for 20 years, 5 of which competitive locally, so I've had 'regional' si pain for a while, if you want to call it that. 90% of the time if I get hurt its the left side of my lower back. I've never had much pain from squats all though I do feel twisty when I squat sometimes if that makes sense. When I check to make sure my feet are in the right place before I actually descend I also sometimes feel like my hips are twisted or like I am standing with a staggered stance when I am not. Deadlifting has mostly has given me trouble but, I cleaned up my set up I haven't had much issues since. I just don't want to do damage of some kind if it is an issue and pay for it down the road if I should have a shim. I hope that is well put together. Writing this I feel just as confused as I did getting two different answers from two different chiropractors.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

My thoughts on this have been if it isn't causing you pain, discomfort, or lack of function then I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like It's not so much the lifts that are giving you issues so much as your competitive sport. Other coaches are more than welcome to dissent but that is usually my stance on it.

Thank you, I won't worry about it then. If I'm ever closer to a coach I'll swing by for a quick one on one session.