starting strength gym
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sven's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dang! 315 at 80? I'm just envious as can be.

July 23

Squats 5xBW, 5X45, 5X95, 5X135, 5X185, 3X210(5)

BP 5X45, 5X95, 5X140(3)

DL 5X135, 5X185, 5X235

The 5 sets of 3 reps on the increase seems to allow for the increase more readily, though I don't know that I couldn't have done 3 sets of 5 reps on the squat, but if I can continue to add 5lbs every other workout to the squat I'll be happy, would like to get to 300 lbs by my birthday, I have 38 workouts left 19 x 5 would give me that. Felt stronger making an effort to get my butt back and push up with my hips. The BP felt better today also, though I am no higher than I was a couple of workouts ago, made a real effort to get my food inake and sleep time increased. DL was ok, I didn't fail on the grip but I suspect it had more to do with the fact I didn't do a lot of warm ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    July 23

Squats 5xBW, 5X45, 5X95, 5X135, 5X185, 3X210(5)

BP 5X45, 5X95, 5X140(3)

DL 5X135, 5X185, 5X235

The 5 sets of 3 reps on the increase seems to allow for the increase more readily, though I don't know that I couldn't have done 3 sets of 5 reps on the squat, but if I can continue to add 5lbs every other workout to the squat I'll be happy, would like to get to 300 lbs by my birthday, I have 38 workouts left 19 x 5 would give me that. Felt stronger making an effort to get my butt back and push up with my hips. The BP felt better today also, though I am no higher than I was a couple of workouts ago, made a real effort to get my food inake and sleep time increased. DL was ok, I didn't fail on the grip but I suspect it had more to do with the fact I didn't do a lot of warm ups.
    Your results are looking great and your attitude is super. You will hit your goals before you know it. I'm glad that the 5x3 - 3x5 is working out. You don't have to do it forever; if you get to the point where you know that you're stronger and can handle the recovery go ahead and go 3 sets of 5 back to back and gauge your recovery. This may work for a while and later if you stall you can switch back. You'll know when it's time to adjust either way. Cheers.

You are doing excellent work, Sven. Keep it up.

July 27

Squats 5xBW(2), 5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x210(2), 4x210, 2x210

Press 5x45(2), 5x65, 5x95(2)

Asst PU (-85) 12, 9, 7

Missed my workout on Monday, and got 4.5 hrs of sleep last night, and my diet has been lousy, so today was crap. I got the 4th rep of the the 3rd set of the squats up but it was questionable, took a break and knocked out two more just so I could move on with the next workout to 215, though the way my form was that might not be the best course of action. I caught the bar rolling forward as I start to come up on the squat, enough that I have to pull it back, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or if the bar is too high, or my back rounded. The first two sets on the Press were ok but when I went to do the third set, it just wasn't there. The assisted pull ups were done to failure.

Default Back At It

August 1

Squat 5xBW, 5X45, 5X95, 5X135, 5X185, 2X210, 5X190 (2)

BP 5X45, 5X95, 5X145 (3 Neg reps), 5x135, 5x140 (2)

Took a long weekend, it killed me, really weak today, trying to figure out where I need to be on the BP, 140 was fine, 145 plain wasn't there? ??? on the Squats, reset.

August 3

Squat 5xBW, 5X45, 5X95, 5X135, 5X185, 5X205 (3)

Press 5x45, 5x65, 5x85(2), 6x85

PU (assisted) -70x10, -70x6, -70x7

Still working back up on the Squats, form is good and the weight is manageable, took a step back on the Press because last time I only got two sets done and it has been awhile, the assisted PU is nothing to brag about but it helps and someday I'll be doing them unassisted. Diet and rest is really important, still working on it.

August 5

Squats 5xBW, 5X45, 5X95, 5X135, 5X185, 5X205(3)

Press 5x45, 5x65, 5x95(3)

DL 5x135, 5x185, 5x235

The squats were pretty easy today, I was surprised because the set at 185 seemed tough but the sets at 205 went pretty straightforward I should have done 210 today. The Press was really strong which was nice, and the DL was even ok, no problem hanging on though the grip did open up. Been working on the eating stuff, mostly by getting in a steak a night and eating a lot of eggs. Sleep has been better, getting between 7 and 8 hours pretty regularly. My weight hasn't really changed since I started lifting, first I dropped about 10 pounds but now I am back where I started don't appear to be really gaining, don't think I'll be hitting any growth spurts soon. My progress doesn't appear to be linear but there is progress. Put in for my retired pay last week with the National Guard, I'll collect my first pension check in November, full fledged geezer status is at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    ... I caught the bar rolling forward as I start to come up on the squat, enough that I have to pull it back, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or if the bar is too high, or my back rounded...
    Before tweaking your form, check to see if the bar is bent or if the sleeves stick. I work out at a high school gym and all of the bars have been abused. A bent bar will shift on you or a sticky sleeve will release as you move through the range of motion during the squat. This is most undesirable. The only straight bars at my gym are the Oly bars that nobody uses except me. For squats I search for the least bent bars so I can have some knurling across my shoulders otherwise I use an Oly bar to bench and press. I really don't like the torque on my wrists when a sleeve lets go during a bench rep.

Bob, thanks for your insight, I did tweak my form some it was necessary but your observation about bent bars and sticky sleeves has been taken into consideration and I think you may have a point in this case. I don't know what to do other than work through it but it's nice to know that it isn't just me.

August 8

Squat 5xBW, 5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x210(3)

Press 5x45, 5x65, 3x85, 3x100, 2x100, 3x97.5, 5x97.5, 2x97.5, 3x97.5 ????

PU assisted (-70) 14, 10, 9

The squats were not easy but the Press tonight was absolutely weird, thought I would shoot for 5 sets of 3 with a 5 pound bump from last time, the first set was ok, the second set at 100 got lost on the 3rd rep so I dialed it back to 97.5. First set with 3 reps was ok, so when it came to the second set I kicked it up to 5 reps with no problem that I recall but on the next set I stalled out on the 3rd rep again. On the last set I got the third rep up but it was strange, my right arm went up without a lot of problem, wasn't easy but it went up the left arm was lagging and it was like I was screaming at myself (in my head) get it up! As if it was disassociated from my conscious ability to make it go up. I don't recall it being heavy it just wasn't going anywhere and then it went up, strange. Probably rediscovering neural pathways that have been unused for a while if ever. I will do the press again on Friday and shoot for 3 sets of 5 at 97.5 again. Not sure how to treat the assisted pull ups, think I will go with an assistance weight until I can do 20 reps on the first set and then dial it down.

starting strength coach development program
    August 30

Don't know what I did but my right knee started hurting pretty bad so I backed off for a couple of weeks and it got better. First it felt real tight, then I had pain on the lower part of the knee and then it migrated to the top of the knee. Hard to walk. Manifested itself after I had been sitting for a while like driving or on the computer. Worked out last week briefly and again yesterday. Felt sore before I worked out yesterday but felt fine afterwards. I am pretty new to this and I don't know if I am just being a pussy, but avoiding injury is high on my list. Rereading Starting Strength.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast