starting strength gym
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Beaverbob's Log: Implementing the ideas of those much stronger than myself

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Log

1/5/2012

SQ: 260* 5/5/5

BP: 160 5/5/5

Notes

Was an abbreviated workout, had to get in and out of the gym quickly. No PCs or accessory stuff.

Also, it finally happened. After a solid 4 months of squatting, my meager dress pants lost the battle against my growing thighs. Lately, I noticed my dress pants feeling a bit tighter in around my thighs (still with plenty of room around the waist though, whew). Last week as I was getting into a cab after work, I heard a loud rip and basically exploded the back seam of my pants. I'm keeping them as a badge of honor, and no longer looking for slim-fit suits.

Log

3/5/2012

SQ: 265* 5/5/5

OP: 125 5/5/3, 95x5 (still felt like I had gas in the tank even though I missed my last two lifts at 125)

DL: 325* 5 (Narrowed my stance, locked out the elbow of my supinated hand and focused on my back extension. Everything went well, felt good)

Log

5/5/2012

SQ: 270* 5/5/5

BP: 165 5/5/5

PC: 120 3/3/3/3/3

Dips: BW 10/10/7

Notes

Nothing to report, everything feels good and is progressing on schedule.

Log

8/5/2012

SQ: 275* 5/5/5 (Grinded out the last two reps on the last set, but felt like I really earned it)

OP: 125: 5/5/5

DL: 330: 4 (Damn, just couldn't get that last rep. No excuses on this one, I wasn't mentally tough after grinding my squats. Feel disappointed with myself. This was the first session I switched to 5 pound jumps too.)

Notes

On the bright side, weighed myself after the workout and clocked in at 205lbs. Need to keep an eye on my carbs but overall bf% is staying about the same.

Due to scheduling conflicts, I think I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow, do light day for squats and work my bench and pc with some chins thrown in there as well. Next time I'll be in the gym is Saturday where I will succeed in my deadlift.
    Last edited by beaverbob; 05-08-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Log

12/5/2012

SQ: 280*: 5/5/4 (will re-do tomorrow)

BP: 170: 5/4/5 (think I could have gotten that middle rep if I had the mental safety net of a spotter, gym was empty at the time)

PC: 125: 3/3/3/3/3 (form feels all over the place, feel like I'm using too much arms still and my hip extension is off)

I too have decided to aim for 1000lbs by year end. I am currently tracking along the same sort of total as you, although with a few more lbs of bw and years. After 3 months of lifting I am starting to stalll everywhere at moment. Good luck, will keep track of your progress to help with my motivation. I found bringing elbows in a bit really helped my bp.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw View Post
    I too have decided to aim for 1000lbs by year end. I am currently tracking along the same sort of total as you, although with a few more lbs of bw and years. After 3 months of lifting I am starting to stalll everywhere at moment. Good luck, will keep track of your progress to help with my motivation. I found bringing elbows in a bit really helped my bp.
    Hey dgw, thanks for the comment. I've had success deloading my squat after a stall, but so-so results deloading on my bench and press. I will try to keep my elbows tucked on my next bench session. Good luck, to 1000!

Log

Experimenting with format, I will include my lift notes in the actual notes section now.

* Indicates PR

15/5/2012

SQ 290: 5/5/5*

OP 130: 5/3/2

DL 330: 5*

Chins: BW 2x5

Notes

SQUAT: Pleasantly surprised as I was typing out this log. Half surprised and half chiding myself because I lack basic math skills. I was supposed to squat 285 today, which would have been a PR. I wasn't thinking when I put the weights on the bar and put 2x45lb, 1x25lb, 1x5lb and 1x2.5lb plates on each side. Squatted that for 3x5, feels fine. As I sit down to write this log, I realize I actually made a 10 pound jump successfully. I think it had to to do with the 3 day layoff, I was feeling pretty rested. Onward and forward, 295 tonight!

OVERHEAD PRESS: The first set went up fine, but I don't think I am getting enough recovery time between sets. I take the usual 3 mins that I use for all my lifts, but my shoulders still feel tired in the second set and completely smoked on the third set. Also, I don't have access to microloading plates, so I will instead microload with reps. I will just keep hammering away at 130 until I can get 3x5 and then move up. I already did a reset and stalled at exactly the same spot. I read a thread here about microloading weight vs. reps and the general consensus was weight is better, but when it comes down to brass tacks, all that matters is that I keep pressing the damn bar above my head.

DEADLIFT: Focusing on keeping my back flat, 330 felt heavy, but conquerable. When I start pulling my 4th and 5th rep, I get this weird feeling in my chest like there is a huge air bubble trapped in there, like a really big burp that's stuck in my sternum. It's not quite painful, but definitely uncomfortable. If anyone reads this, I would be interested in your comments.

CHINS: They are weak and I hate not being able to do more than 2 proper ones and then 3 with failing range and form. I know the best way to get better at chins is to do chins. I will start hammering out 3 sets to failure (failure is like 4-5) after every workout, damned if I look weak doing them.
    Last edited by beaverbob; 05-17-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: verb tense

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbob View Post
    This is going to sound stupid. I think I had a major breakthrough on my bench press on a non bench day. During my rest, I was spotting a gym-acquaintance on the bench. I noticed his hands were out past the knurl marks. He's an older guy (40s), in pretty good shape with decent bench #s and we got talking about grip width. I was under the impression that the marked rings on the bar were maximum allowed grip width. Turns out this is an olympic-marked bar. Basically I've been doing close(r) grip bench press this whole time. I am an idiot. At the end of my workout I did a few reps of 135 with my hands out wide enough so my forearms are perpendicular to the ground when the bar is at my chest. Man, what a difference. This could be the cause of my bench struggles. Really looking forward to next workout to figure it out.
    I was under the impression the olympic lifting marks were farther out than the powerlifting ones.

The bars have grip marks spaced 910 mm apart to allow intuitive grip width measurement. It is the standard used in competitive weightlifting where men and women compete at the highest level - the Commonwealth Games, Pan-American Games, World Championships, and the Olympics.
    Additionally, powerlifting bars have their grip marks spaced closer, at 810 mm. This closer spacing is used to check legal grip width in the bench press.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbell

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    I was under the impression the olympic lifting marks were farther out than the powerlifting ones.

They are on the B&R bar.

My cheapo bar doesn't have consistent markings. I forget what they are, but they're neither 36" or 32" apart.

Great work with the PRs bob!
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 05-18-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast