starting strength gym
Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Here comes Hercules

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Finally can do squats. They are still high bar but getting better. Squats: 85 X 5 X 3 Bench Press: 100 X 5 X 3. I'm getting started on power snatch.

That was great work on Saturday, Carson. You've shown tremendous grit and determination, and it's paying off. You're going to be pretty strong.

Carson rocks! SQUOZE! I love it.

Can't take credit for SQUOZE. Got it from Steve Hill by way of Michael Wolf.

Great cue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    That was great work on Saturday, Carson. You've shown tremendous grit and determination, and it's paying off. You're going to be pretty strong.
    But, he's so old! He can't get strong.

I'm smiling so hard my face hurts. Squat 100 X 5 X 3. Not perfect but still great. Deadlift 215 X 5. A challenge, but not terrible. I think I'll work on the alternate grip or something. It's the grip that was the main challenge. Thanks again to Karl's encouragement and for Dr. Sullivan's excellent training. About the Squoze I forgot to keep my chest up on a couple of the down movements. I'll keep better focus.
    Last edited by carson; 05-13-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Starting to learn Power Snatch. I realize how clumsy I am. Today clumsy power snatches tomorrow the Olympics. It could happen. 10 X 3 X 3
    Squat (still high on back) 105 X 5 X 3 I'm still working out some technique problems.
    Bench: 105 X 5 X 3.

Welcome to the forum, Carson! Way to hit the lifts, man (nice squats!).

Of the lifts I like deadlifts the best, then bench press, then squats though getting the flexibility needed is difficult, then presses (I still am a bit nervous about having the bar 'behind' my head) and power snatches being least favorite. In all fairness, I'm just learning the power snatch but was never any good at things that called for dynamic action. You should see me on roller skates or trying to play basketball. In any event, it's all good. I wished I had started this years ago.

starting strength coach development program
    Stretches in prep for squat 5 X 2. It helped a little. I could get the bar down/back a little bit more. I asked Sully to point to how far back I had to go after the stretching. I still had about 2 inches. I think I gained about an inch throughout the high bar squats. Progress is progress. Someday I'll do a proper low bar squat.

Squat: 45 X 6; 65 X 6; 85 X 4; 95 X 2; 105 X 1; 115 X 5 X 3. It isn't the weight that's the problem. My problems have to do with technique. But it's getting better.

Press: 45 X 5; 55 X 5; 65 X 5; 70 X 5 X 3. A couple of the presses were so wobbly on top Sully asked me if I was trying to kill him. It seems my years of desk work have left my core in need of more strength. Though I'm much less pudgy than I was just 3 months ago I still have a way to go. I used to joke with my son who at the time had a 6 pack that I did him better. I have a whole case. It isn't so funny now. I'll work on that.

Deadlift: 55 X 5; 95 X 5; 135 X 5; 185 X 3; 225 X 1; 225 X 5. I'm excited just typing it. I switched to alternate grip for the 225 lifts because I wasn't sure that the regular grip would hold. Still I did them. The alternate grip caused the bar to move out from the shin an inch or so. I'll work on that. Many of the lifts were done correctly.

Thanks again to Doctor Sullivan.
    Last edited by carson; 05-21-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Page 2 of 215 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast