starting strength gym
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane's rage against the middle age log.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    That doesn't look back at all - but no 8s?
    No 8's. I'm just running an old-guy advanced novice approach until I head off on holidays in mid-December. Given I've got six weeks of frittering away my gains coming up I won't be giving any serious thought to programming till I get back next year. And then I've got some novice LP to look forward to.

Six weeks of vacation? I think I'm on the wrong continent!

25/11/2015
    Press 20x10x2, [40,50,60,74.5,74.5]x5, 60x10.
    Deadlift 60x10, [100,130,150,172.5]x5.
    SLDS 130x5x3.
    Curls 40x8, [50,58.5,50]x5

wow Shane, so where are you holidaying, and are you the site's strongest veggie ? Do you track what you eat, track macros etc. ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by indigo View Post
    wow Shane, so where are you holidaying, and are you the site's strongest veggie ? Do you track what you eat, track macros etc. ?
    Thanks.
    Hey mate. We're all pretty excited about our 'little' holiday. We don't get to see snow or feel cold all that much here, so we're going White Christmas crazy. Visiting Paris, Norway (Oslo, boat cruise, hunting the northern lights and dogsledding in Tromso), Switzerland - any tips from a native like yourself much appreciated (we'll be based in Chateaux-d'Oex & then house-sitting for a spell in Lugano - can't wait to do some skiing again), Italy (probably - still figuring that out), London, and parts elsewhere in the U.K.

Vegetarians are fairly thin on the ground in the SS membership base. Who knows - I could be the strongest one but that's a relatively dubious accomplishment . I don't track what I eat - I just try to eat at least 3 big nutritious meals with something vaguely resembling protein in them, 1 or 2 litres of low-fat milk, & a hefty whey shake with some creatine added each day. Breakfast is usually scrambled eggs (5/6) and some oats, or baked beans & cheese, or just lots of oats & milk. Everything else varies wildly. Main meal is usually something featuring either legumes, tofu, or pasta buried in cheese. If lunch at work seems lacking in protein I'll add a litre of milk. Very scientific!

28/11/2015

Session Rating: finally deserves a session rating. And that rating is "Bass Face"

Felt like I had good stuff in the tank today so went for it on the squat. Haven't checked exhaustively but I believe that's a 5 rep squat weight PR (+2.5kg), and/or a rep PR on 170 (+4 reps). Of course to balance the triumph I loaded up 125kg on bench intending to do a couple of triples. Except it was 127.5kg with an extra 2.5kg on one side. No wonder it felt weird. That fucked me all up in the bench zone (+ I was zonked after squats) so I kinda fucked around a bit for the rest of the session. Chin-ups can bugger off till tomorrow or the more distant future. Beer & whey time.

Session:
    Squats 20x10x2, [70,100,120,140]x5, [150,160]x1, [170,157.5,157.5]x5
    Bench 20x10x2, [50,70,90]x5, [100,110,127.5]x1, 115x4, 110x5
    CGBP 102.5x[5,4]

Last edited by Toasterleavings; 11-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.

congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    Hey mate. We're all pretty excited about our 'little' holiday. We don't get to see snow or feel cold all that much here, so we're going White Christmas crazy. Visiting Paris, Norway (Oslo, boat cruise, hunting the northern lights and dogsledding in Tromso), Switzerland - any tips from a native like yourself much appreciated (we'll be based in Chateaux-d'Oex & then house-sitting for a spell in Lugano - can't wait to do some skiing again), Italy (probably - still figuring that out), London, and parts elsewhere in the U.K.

Vegetarians are fairly thin on the ground in the SS membership base. Who knows - I could be the strongest one but that's a relatively dubious accomplishment . I don't track what I eat - I just try to eat at least 3 big nutritious meals with something vaguely resembling protein in them, 1 or 2 litres of low-fat milk, & a hefty whey shake with some creatine added each day. Breakfast is usually scrambled eggs (5/6) and some oats, or baked beans & cheese, or just lots of oats & milk. Everything else varies wildly. Main meal is usually something featuring either legumes, tofu, or pasta buried in cheese. If lunch at work seems lacking in protein I'll add a litre of milk. Very scientific!
    Hi Shane,

Your trip sounds great, I really hope you enjoy it. How long will you be in Switzerland ? Actually I'm a pommie, not a native, but I have been here for around 10 years now.
    I only really know the French part of Switzerland, Suisse Romande. I live in Geneva, so for skiing you can be in good resorts about 45 mins in the car. Porte du Soleil is great and not too far, and it is interconnected and varied.

Much depends on your level on what your family want to do. From where you are staying, Zermatt is not too far. This is probably the best resort in the world, imo - it really has absolutely everything for every level, except for perhaps total beginners. It is also high, so there are no worries about snow quality - don't forget that Trockener Steg station is at 2900m!

Verbier is a great resort for better skiers, but nightwise is full of dicks and is super expensive. Might be a good day trip.

Otherwise if you want smaller family-friendly stuff, closer to you there is Leysin, Villars, Les Diablerets ..

Let me know if you want more info, feel free to PM if you like.

As for the veggie part, really awesome in my book. To think of the effort that I have made trying to stuff myself with endless chicken, even trying to 'comply with macros' and how shit my training has gone well I'm super impressed by your progress.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    congrats!
    Thanks mate! Kinda knackered a few days later though - definitely paying for my efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by indigo View Post
    Hi Shane,
    Your trip sounds great, I really hope you enjoy it. How long will you be in Switzerland ? Actually I'm a pommie, not a native, but I have been here for around 10 years now.
    I only really know the French part of Switzerland, Suisse Romande. I live in Geneva, so for skiing you can be in good resorts about 45 mins in the car. Porte du Soleil is great and not too far, and it is interconnected and varied.

Much depends on your level on what your family want to do. From where you are staying, Zermatt is not too far. This is probably the best resort in the world, imo - it really has absolutely everything for every level, except for perhaps total beginners. It is also high, so there are no worries about snow quality - don't forget that Trockener Steg station is at 2900m!

Verbier is a great resort for better skiers, but nightwise is full of dicks and is super expensive. Might be a good day trip.

Otherwise if you want smaller family-friendly stuff, closer to you there is Leysin, Villars, Les Diablerets ..

Let me know if you want more info, feel free to PM if you like.

As for the veggie part, really awesome in my book. To think of the effort that I have made trying to stuff myself with endless chicken, even trying to 'comply with macros' and how shit my training has gone well I'm super impressed by your progress.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the kind words & advice on switzerland! We'll be there for around 12 days - but probably only 3/4 where we can ski ( the rest we'll be house-sitting in Lugano & part of the bargain is walking their dogs 3 times a day - my secret dream is that they have a fully equipped gym). My daughter is booked in for some ski lessons near chateau-d'Oex - realistically I'm expecting much of my 'ski trip' will be spent laughing at her snow-plowing gracefully into a faceplant, and popping ibuprofen & vodka to negate the knee pain I expect from skiing. I'll definitely check out our options re the places you mention. Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    Been slack again - more than a week between sessions (or should I try to rationalize it as peaking?). Single parenting is tough work. Once I've cooked dinner & failed to not get tempted to have a couple or 7 of beers it's pretty much game over for game on.

But today - had some free time on my own so took the opportunity to set a PR or two before I euroholiday the gains away. Give me something to surpass when I get back. I think the deadlift PR exceeds my previous best by 15kg, (I haven't exactly been popping deadlift singles like they're going out of style though). Hey - made it over 400lbs on something! (430lbs). Felt awesome.

7/12/2015
    Deadlift: 60x5, [100,130]x5, [150,170,180,190,195]x1
    SLDS: 135x5x2
    Press: 20x10x2, [40,50,60]x5, 75x[5,4]
    Curls: 40x6, 50x5, 60x4, 50x8

Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast