starting strength gym
Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul's "My So Called Lift"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    no worries:

when you are standing over the bar, 1 inch or so, keep you knees lock to determine the spacing. Grab the bar without bending your knees, if you bend you knees your shins will move the bar away. If you can't keep you knees locked while grabbing the bar, you need to get some flexibility in your hams. Once you grab the bar with your knees locked, take in air and engage core, bend you knees, pull your chest up hard, engage your lats and pull...all one continuous move with practice.

11/18
    5/3/1
    Cycle 3, week 1

BP
    110x5
    130x5
    145x10

My bench is moving up slowly. I have a very old workout that was published in the 1990’s that involves benching twice per week. I ran it when I was in my 40’s and my 1 rep max went from 150 to 215 in just about six weeks. The workout contains sets with reps between 6 and 1, sets to failure and a few negative reps. I’ve love to carve out time and use it but at the very least I’m going to clean up the documentation forms and maybe post it on a website in a useable format. For now it’s a bunch of PDFs that have to be printed out and are a bit of mess.

1/19
    5/3/1
    Cycle 3, week 1

Squat
    145x5
    165x5
    190x6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi8b5yQaIM4

This is the first time since October 22nd that I've been able to complete a squat workout. No pain in my knees at all, very thankful. First workout with Rehbands they provide good support and generate a lot of heat so I felt great. After lowering the safety stands to be even with the bench part I raised them a bit to be a better indicator of depth. Oddly at this setting there is no hole on the R3 for the bottom pin . I’m assuming not having those is not a big deal. The Rehbands made a nice squishy sound as I went lower. Again I thought I was a bit lower than I actually was. I thought I was holding my body tighter than it appears. The mind does not always match the body but I hope progress continues, at the very least I felt great while doing these and after. Was a big ego boast just not to have pain. Also was please that I got to 6 reps on the last set. Week 2, I did 14 reps at this weight but I’m chalking some of that to depth not being as good.

Feedback on form is always appreciated.
    I’m going to compile a list soon and post in on a poster in the basement.

good to hear about your knees.
    Form= need to start from the beginning and break it down. You need to have cues ( not 10 cues, I use 3 cues) that remind you of your form through the range of motion.

from what I see:
    1. you are not creating core or back tightness. before you descend you must take in air and push it down and hold it. I hate to give you the 'chest up' because its always miss understood. You keep you back angle but tilt you chest up a bit.
    2.Stop at the top of every rep and repeat...take in air, lock and load.
    3. your coming over your knees onto your toes a bit as you come up. Knee travel. '
    4. your lower back goes into extension in order for you to get depth. this could be due to not creating tightness in the first place.

When you lower back goes into extension you loose the flex stretch in your hams.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    good to hear about your knees.
    Form= need to start from the beginning and break it down. You need to have cues ( not 10 cues, I use 3 cues) that remind you of your form through the range of motion.

from what I see:
    1. you are not creating core or back tightness. before you descend you must take in air and push it down and hold it. I hate to give you the 'chest up' because its always miss understood. You keep you back angle but tilt you chest up a bit.
    For me this is the "punch in the gut" cue. I used to just take a deep breath and hold it, but that wasn't sufficient at higher weights, and in retrospect it wasn't good at the lower weights, either. Take a deep breath and tighten up as if someone's about to punch you in the gut.

Take a look at Michael Wolf in the video here. You can hear him take a breath, and you see his head snap forward a little as he's tensing his abs as hard as he can. Sure, we're not squatting 500, but we need to build good habits so we'll be ready when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by cmynhier View Post
    For me this is the "punch in the gut" cue.
    Thanks, good idea!
    Should have checked in before yesterday's workout.

1/22/2015
    5/3/1
    Cycle 3, week 2
    3x3+

Press
    70x3
    80x3
    90x9

11/24/2015
    Schedule off by a day took the little one to see the Rockettes in NYC on Monday.

DL
    205x3
    235x3
    265x4

Low energy day or I'm just getting a little weaker due to weight loss? Maybe I'm concentrating more and putting more into the reps opposed to the non-stop stuff I did before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kfldqie2JU

I may try a doing videos form a different angle. I'm not sure how it looks to folks but my leg was maybe a 1/4 in from the bar at the start of many of these reps. Real close yet from the video it looks like I'm much further. Still doing stretches for hamstrings but I'm not seeing great improvement.

Feedback on form is always appreciated.

Work on locking all the way out on Deads. Sully is always yelling at me to lock out. Arch back and let weight settle down for a couple of seconds before you set the weight back onto the floor.

Carson, good point I do notice that as a common theme of mine. For sure something to work on.

starting strength coach development program
    Paul;
    your shins are way too far away from the bar on some of these
    It appears your weight is not over the center of your foot.
    it doesn't appear you are not tightening your core or back..hard to tell but given how quick you grab the bar and pull I can't imagine you are taking in air and tightening up.
    on some of your reps on the decedent you are coming over your knees.

you are making improvements. It might help if you come up with a few cues to remind yourself. keep watching RIp's vid's. Also, you can watch BioLayne who has a pretty good vid on DL.

You must keep the bar on your shins all the way up and down. the bar must remain over mid foot.

Try taking the vid from the side.

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast