starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh to make it through SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm confused. Your first post talked about adding PC after getting the DL up, but your first step on the SS journey is learning the PC? Is the coach an SSC? If not, my recommendation is to get a few DL vids posted here and on the technique forum for review and any necessary form tweaks. The DL is the basis for the PC and until the DL with proper squoze is what your body is familiar with, don't start PC.

I can DL. I've hit 350 in the past and had one of James steel's assistance as a coach before so I am confident the DL is kosher.

Monday
    Squat 85x3x5
    Press 55x3x5
    DL 135x1x5

Today
    Squat 95x3x5
    Bench 75x3x5
    DL 150x1x5
    Hanging leg raises 3x10

Good first two workouts. Started way light as recommended. Nothing too exciting.

Nice. That's around where I started back too. You'll get up there in no time

Quote Originally Posted by hawkins_allen View Post
    I can DL. I've hit 350 in the past and had one of James steel's assistance as a coach before so I am confident the DL is kosher.

Monday
    Squat 85x3x5
    Press 55x3x5
    DL 135x1x5

Today
    Squat 95x3x5
    Bench 75x3x5
    DL 150x1x5
    Hanging leg raises 3x10

Good first two workouts. Started way light as recommended. Nothing too exciting.
    Is this weightxsetsxreps or weightxrepsxsets? The standard is weightxrepsxsets. You can can't represent sets of different reps otherwise. If you only get 4 on your last set, how could you clearly represent it in weightxsetsxreps? Be clear. Use the standard format.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    Is this weightxsetsxreps or weightxrepsxsets? The standard is weightxrepsxsets. You can can't represent sets of different reps otherwise. If you only get 4 on your last set, how could you clearly represent it in weightxsetsxreps? Be clear. Use the standard format.
    easy, I'll put "Bench 135x2x5, 1x4". Sorry, but I like weight x sets x reps. I am assuming everyone is sharp enough to figure it out. If you get confused then you can always ask me for clarification.

Seriously, it matters that much to you to do it in a non-standard way? We aren't sharp enough to "figure it out" because the standard format translates 135x2x5 to 2 reps across 5 sets. When you read logs, especially intermediate or more advanced logs, when the 5 reps across 3 sets novice programming is no longer being used, it really matters to use a standard format. Do what "you like", but as someone who doesn't care enough to translate your info, I'll bow out.

Friday, 4th Sept

Squat 105 for 3 sets of 5
    Press 60 for 3 sets of 5
    DL 165 for 1 set of 5
    Sit ups on ball 1 set of 12, 2 sets of 9

My situp game is weaker than a kitten.

Friday, Sept 11th

Squat 115 for 3 sets of 5
    Bench 80 for 3 sets of 5
    DL 180 for 1 set of 5
    Incline sit ups bodyweight for 1 set of 15, 1 set of 9, 1 set of 8

starting strength coach development program
    Well this didn't last long...

I'm going to have to drop the strict SS for the time being. Two things popped up somewhat unexpectedly...

1) Last week I had to purchase "business professional" clothing for the first time. The time has come where I have to suit up on a somewhat regular basis for career fairs and job interviews. I purchased two entry level suits and it was quite a hit to my meager funds. So, I am kind of stuck with them until I get a job that affords me luxury of buying new ones when I gain weight. The last thing I want is to be bloating out of a suit during an interview.

2) And more importantly, my blood pressure is an issue. Even at 6 food, 165 pounds, when I am on ADHD medication, my numbers can be a greater than 140/90. This is with a reasonably good diet that keeps salt to a moderate amount. So I feel like one of the first steps I should take is begin light to moderate cardio 5+ times a week. This obviously isn't SS approved, especially when paired with not being able to gain lots of weight.

So I plan to continue running SS so that I can get to reasonable weights reasonably fast. Once it stalls out from the lack of food + cardio, I will swap to something else that will allow progression but at a slower pace. I will be tracing macros and weighting myself. I will also check to see if the suits are still fitting. I will try to gain weight slowly until it just bumps up to being an issue with the suit, maybe 170 to 175 pounds. Hopefully the numbers will continue to clime despite all of this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12