starting strength gym
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tooch Training Log

Default The Tooch Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all, my name is Dave but Tooch works just fine too.
    Im here to get stronger as i have nothing in my way to stop me and I plan to take full advantage of it.

Lifting Background : Very unexperienced with weights in highschool, “lifted” – used loosely - in my first few years of my associates mostly machines and isolation work. It was in college when I started to enjoy reading did I stumble across SS. I read SS, practical programing, and strong enough more thoroughly than books that applied to my actual studies. I was so interested in this concept and im glad I stuck with it.
    My history of SS is that I found out about SS about 4 years ago. I struggled for about 3 months with low-bar squat and shoulder/elbow discomfort. Couldn't lift my backpack the days following squatting, was using a lot of Aleve to help the pain. Then one day i was able to execute the squat with no discomfort and i absolutely fell in love. I was fairly strict for a year and a half with the SS program and then school and life got in the way and some medical issues that butchered my schedule. I am back now and a friend( Agilic on this forum) has encouraged me to log myself and offered some coaching/moral support, so here i am.

Personal : Im 5'11 195" and im working in product development in powdered supplements. I no longer drink proteins shakes voluntarily as i taste them on a regular basis. That being said, i do feel like i intake a lot more calories than i need. I mean when you flavor a mass gainer that's peanut butter cookie flavored...things can get dangerous lol. I do all the cooking in the household and I come with a nutrition/food science background so Im “decent” in terms of diet, but by no means as good as I want to be. It's also unfortunate to have to flavor pre-workouts..hours after just drinking my own for my workout lol

Lifting schedule: I tend to lift around 5:30 am before work (7:30a-5:30p) so i can go home cook for the family and relax. Currently what works best for me is Sun-tue-thurs. I still work my part-time job on the weekends - 5am shift in a bakery - so Sundays i will lift around noon. I keep and have kept a log of my workouts ever since i started this program, but until today it’s never been electronic.

Moving forward: I plan to update this after every workout, and I will try to film most sessions. I will post to youtube and link to here when I feel necessary or by request.

Here are my 3 lifts from Sunday, you can hear me sniffling a lot in the background (something is working on me) so today Tuesday 12/1/15 i decided to sleep in and try the iron after work.

squat 225 https://youtu.be/XgAS7zGKSn8?list=PL...9jcNH-TXbVoe3V
    press 115 https://youtu.be/6RvKDuR7RM4?list=PL...9jcNH-TXbVoe3V https://youtu.be/NRrTRqgfvAQ?list=PL...9jcNH-TXbVoe3V
    deadlift 270 https://youtu.be/28YMWNPfh6E?list=PL...9jcNH-TXbVoe3V yeah..my sock falling broke my concentration on that last rep. and yes i know theres a steel plate with 2 rubbers its a one time exception

Welcome. Dave.

The Squats looked good to me.
    Press is what we call 1.0. 2.0 in which the hips are involved in the lift is more effective as is preferred. There are videos of that form on the website.
    For the Dead I can't see how close you set up. Why do you release the bar between each lift? That is not indicated.

Keep up the good work.

Welcome back. You can't use the nickname, Tooch. That was my nickname when I was a kid, only about 50 years ago. So as you see....I own it. Just kidding. No one has called me that in a very long time, but it was my tag for my years.

Good luck with your training TOOCH

Glad you decided to start a log! I look forward to seeing your progress and talking training. I will look at your videos and offer some advice when I'm at home with my ipad. I highly recommend checking out some of Cody's review threads on belts. If you want to wait until the holidays when I'm up north, you can try out my GLC belt which I'm very happy with.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Dave.

The Squats looked good to me.
    Press is what we call 1.0. 2.0 in which the hips are involved in the lift is more effective as is preferred. There are videos of that form on the website.
    For the Dead I can't see how close you set up. Why do you release the bar between each lift? That is not indicated.

Keep up the good work.
    I see now. I wasn't aware of 2.0 but then again im glad i got videos up early. I saw videos on AOM and i will make improvements for my next go around. I try to have the bar middle of foot but it was closer to an inch or so from my shin. I released just out of habit to reset myself every time

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    Welcome back. You can't use the nickname, Tooch. That was my nickname when I was a kid, only about 50 years ago. So as you see....I own it. Just kidding. No one has called me that in a very long time, but it was my tag for my years.

Good luck with your training TOOCH
    Haha sure thing Papa Tooch And thank you for the well wishes...won't let the nickname down sir

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Glad you decided to start a log! I look forward to seeing your progress and talking training. I will look at your videos and offer some advice when I'm at home with my ipad. I highly recommend checking out some of Cody's review threads on belts. If you want to wait until the holidays when I'm up north, you can try out my GLC belt which I'm very happy with.

Welcome to the forums!
    Awesome. Thanks very much man. I like the sounds of that and thanks for the warm welcome

So I lifted tonight but this stuffy nose/dry throat is bogging me down.

Squat 235 3x5. This felt fine no real struggles here
    Pressed (all the benches were occupied didn't feel like waiting) 120 2x5, 1x3, didn't feel good and I could feel a little pressure down the back of my neck.
    Deadlifts 295 1x5 i got the first 3 clean but i had to chalk up for the last two but they felt really good

No shame in just chalking up before the deadlift set....speaking of deadlift, like others have said, if you take your hands off the bar and reset it should be counted as 5 singles and not a set of 5. Film your next deadlift set from front oblique and we can see a few more things, but off the bat I can tell you to squeeze your chest up much harder before pulling. Think about showing your nipples to the wall in front of you. It should feel very uncomfortable, but it's necessary to create a full wave of extension through your back. Also, stand up all the way the top to finish the pull with a big chest.

Squat - look good overall, couple things though. You're going way deep. Slow your descent a little, don't lose tightness at the bottom, and cut them like 3" higher.

Hip drive looks good, but could be even better if you get your head down instead of straight ahead.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    No shame in just chalking up before the deadlift set....speaking of deadlift, like others have said, if you take your hands off the bar and reset it should be counted as 5 singles and not a set of 5. Film your next deadlift set from front oblique and we can see a few more things, but off the bat I can tell you to squeeze your chest up much harder before pulling. Think about showing your nipples to the wall in front of you. It should feel very uncomfortable, but it's necessary to create a full wave of extension through your back. Also, stand up all the way the top to finish the pull with a big chest.

Squat - look good overall, couple things though. You're going way deep. Slow your descent a little, don't lose tightness at the bottom, and cut them like 3" higher.

Hip drive looks good, but could be even better if you get your head down instead of straight ahead.
    Thank you for your feedback. I will implement this for my next workout, but most likely wont film until Sunday. When im in the blue room i can film with my phone, but in the regular weight room i can't get a good angle. Thanks for the pointers chief

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast