Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Martha’s Strength Journey

Default 2/8

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had a pretty BS workout yesterday.

A bunch of kettlebell and pilates stuff for my gluteus medius
    My warmups for barbell overhead presses (but no work sets)
    Underhand lat pulldown; work sets 3x5 at 120lb
    Arnold presses with dumbbells

Couldn't squat because of my pulled psoas, couldn't deadlift because of how sore my lower back still was. Pecs were also pretty sore so couldn't progress on overhead presses.

Although I've hated "functional training" and "corrective exercises" and think isolation movements are not effective for getting stronger, and have sworn that barbell training cures all, I think I need to do more to address my weak right gluteus medius.

I broke my hip and had to get surgery three years ago, and they had to cut straight through my glute to the get to the bone for the surgery. Soon after I recovered, I discovered Starting Strength. And for the most part, I am almost totally back to normal. I walk totally normally, I've gotten super strong with barely any asymmetry between right and left, and my hip bothers me very rarely now.

But every now and then I'll get an injury related to the surrounding musculature compensating for the weakness. Lifting and just trying to stay symmetrical, especially now that I'm becoming more advanced, isn't evening out the strength asymmetry as I thought it would. I used to think it was just a flexibility issue, because my right glute gets tight very easily (probably because it's scar tissue). but I'm starting to think it's more than a flexibility issue.

I hope this helps fix the issue and that I can REALLY be totally back to normal, with a super strong right gluteus medius.

PLEASE GOD LET MY PSOAS HEAL QUICKLY!!!

Wow. Who would have known that they have to cut through important muscle to get to the repair site?

I totally get the scar tissue challenge ("arthrofibrosis") as I had it bad after an ACL reconstruction. I'm sure you've heard of John Petrizzo, an SSC here and PhD in PT. He helped talk my son through his own ACL recon and was very helpful.

Last edited by Charlocity2; 02-09-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: double post

did you break you hip ice skating.?
    I've known about three 'younger people' who've done that.
    (weird, usually broken hip/pelvis = eldery person . . . but then I ask, three times in a row "Ice skating")

Quote Originally Posted by MarthaF View Post
    ???? OMG Sirimiti that was funny but kind of grotesque analogy for a baby....
    A rather apt description of my sense of humour.

they had to cut straight through my glute to the get to the bone for the surgery.
    Just reading that makes my back go cold/creepy/crawly or whatever. Good to hear the surgeons fixed it, tho, and that you are back to normal.

I got my right knee wrecked in a motorcycle accident back when I was young and stupid ( not saying I am any smarter now, no ) , and it is amazing what the surgeons can put back together again.

You do know that now you have to keep lifting for the rest of your life, right? And the older you get, the more important it gets for you to keep lifting, especially with you having broken your hip. You will feel that hip/glute more as you get older, I promise you.

So just keep on lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Wow. Who would have known that they have to cut through important muscle to get to the repair site?

I totally get the scar tissue challenge ("arthrofibrosis") as I had it bad after an ACL reconstruction. I'm sure you've heard of John Petrizzo, an SSC here and PhD in PT. He helped talk my son through his own ACL recon and was very helpful.
    Yeah, I definitely thought about that. If the little rehab protocol I've been doing doesn't strengthen my gluteus medius, then I'm going to contact one of them. My biggest regret is not walking on my leg sooner. The doctor was pretty cautious with me and had me on crutches probably longer than necessary. Didn't know at that time that lack of use is what causes more scar tissue build up.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    did you break you hip ice skating.?
    I've known about three 'younger people' who've done that.
    (weird, usually broken hip/pelvis = eldery person . . . but then I ask, three times in a row "Ice skating")
    Nope. I broke my hip....drum roll please...leg pressing!! YUP, it was in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirimiti View Post
    A rather apt description of my sense of humour.
    Hahaha...I am intrigued...give me more...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Just reading that makes my back go cold/creepy/crawly or whatever. Good to hear the surgeons fixed it, tho, and that you are back to normal.

I got my right knee wrecked in a motorcycle accident back when I was young and stupid ( not saying I am any smarter now, no ) , and it is amazing what the surgeons can put back together again.

You do know that now you have to keep lifting for the rest of your life, right? And the older you get, the more important it gets for you to keep lifting, especially with you having broken your hip. You will feel that hip/glute more as you get older, I promise you.

So just keep on lifting!
    Wow that really sucks. Does your knee ever bother you now?

Yeahh I know, blessing and a curse I guess. I'll keep lifting, I promise.

Page 76 of 83 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast