starting strength gym
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Battered, mostly retired, south Wales rugby player

Default Battered, mostly retired, south Wales rugby player

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I'm Ian, from south Wales. Its Christmas time 2015. I'm 41 years old, 6ft tall, 105kg. I've been doing the lifts since Dec 2013. I did LP until July 2014 then went on holiday for 6 weeks with wife and kids. I did LP from Sept 2014 until Feb 2015, then basic TM until July 2015.

My best set of fives this year are:

Squat: 187.5kg
    Deadlift: 197.5kg
    Press: 80kg 1x5
    Bench: 107.5kg
    Power Clean: 95kg (set of three)
    Power Snatch: 72.5kg (set of two)

Went on holiday again this year for 7 weeks. Restarted LP in Sept 2015. This years LP is not going as well as last years. I think I've irritated my low back. Currently squatting 150kg and reevaluating my squat technique. Suffering complete lack of confidence on deadlift, back hurts pulling 120kg. Have always hated bench. I don't hate the press. Power cleans, well I just keep plugging away.

As a rugby player I played tight head prop for 20 years. Amateur division 2/3 standard. You meet some big, heavy, strong men. I think all the scrummaging against 20 stone lumps it has taken its toll on my low back. Or hip or something. I should go and see someone about it. By the way, I did no barbell training in this time. Rugby fitness consisted of running around getting sweaty. Absolute nonsense.

I've also coached my wife on the lifts, she is finally making some good progress. It took a while. Have taught my oldest (12) son to deadlift and press. He is also making progress.

I keep track using spreadsheets, notes, videos, but thought this log would be a good way to pull it all together in one place.

As mentioned, my back hurts. I think I need a rest. I have a few workouts planned between tomorrow and next Thursday, then I am away for a week. I am currently deciding whether to turn it into a two week break. Maybe just go very light.

It is a shame that you never did strength training before and during your rugby career. As you know now strength training prepares us for other activities. But then it's never too late to start. I did not start until age 66.

There is a SS coach in the UK but I think only one. Check the Resource section. At minimum a consult can be invaluable.

If you can get to a Doctor that might be advisable but be aware there are still many Doctors that advise against strength training for anyone over a rather young age. There reservations are usually based upon nothing.

You may wish to post some videos if you have access to the equipment needed.

Best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    As a rugby player I played tight head prop for 20 years. Amateur division 2/3 standard.
    Ah, a master of the dark arts. Good to have you on these boards.

If you're concerned about your back/hips, I'd recommend posting some form check videos to the Technique Forum or the SS Coaches Forum.

Hi Carson/BostonRugger,

Thanks for saying hello!

I agree, it is never too late to start. I have played a few games on rugby in the last year, I noticed a few things. The contact was "easier" to manage even at my "old for rugby" age. Players fell off tackles, or more interesting, avoided trying to tackle me at all. Perhaps there was some sort of visual perception of how I looked/moved that caused certain players to check themselves. I am still heavily involved in community rugby, and kids rugby, and plan to take advantage of my position to spread the starting strength word.

I do intend to take a trip to London to see Carl the coach.

I will go and see a doctor about my back at some point. A doctor tried to fix my right shoulder a few years ago, I fixed it myself in the end by getting my press up.

There is definitely an "art" to scrummaging, some of it dark! Brute strength helps though! Nothing quite as satisfying as shoving your opposition back/up/on the floor and scoring a push over try.

I have posted in the SS coaches forum and had some positive feedback; I do take a lot of video so I hope to post more on here and track my form. I've noticed form can creep and deteriorate without even noticing and an outside perspective is invaluable.

Thanks again,

Ian

Hi Ian,

good to see you here. As a former loosehead (not long, and definitely not good), I too wish I had discovered strength training during my playing days... instead of endless running and push ups. Not only for scrums and tackles, but for lineouts, too. We had a massive lock who was a nightmare to lift...

Anyway, all the best for you and your family, especially a low back pain-free year for 2016!

Hey, Ian. Good of you to start a log. Concerning the back, I wouldn't stop training completely, I would just take it light for a while. If it's something chronic, maybe go through Starr rehab. If it's your deadlift form your worried about the most, I'd get it checked in the coaches forum. Good luck.

Thanks Yaums, props stick together! Thanks 8odin8, I will definitely be posting a deadlift check soon.

So, last session of 2015.

Squat: 152.5kg 3x5 This is with a closer stance as advised by the coaches. Doesn't feel heavy, but struggle to make every rep feel identical. Could feel it in my back on some reps, less so on others.
    Press: 72.5kg 3x5 Although it was 4. Harder than it should be. Sometimes they fly up, other times, can't get them over my head.
    Deadlift/Powerclean: 95kg 3x3 Deadlifted 5 slow, tight reps for every power clean 3. Power Clean grip was little finger on ring. Focused on squeezing chest up, felt OK. There is a place I can put my shoulders, and the weight goes up. Get it wrong, and I struggle. Obviously not heavy for a deadlift, but can feel it in my back.
    Mixed in some Snatches at 60kg. Technique is off
    Chins: 3, 3, 5 jumped and lowered.
    6 prowler pushes on green carpet material, 30m with 140kg. Not that hard. Will review Matt Reynolds prowler article again. Either up the weight, reduce recovery, or do more pushes. At some point, I am looking to replicate the effects of the scrummage machine. My conditioning was never better as a player, than when we pushed the scrum machine hard in the mud, rain and cold.

New Years Eve party with family and friends this evening. This means lots of beer.

Happy New Year to you all.

So at the party last night, one of my old rugby mates reckons my hips might be wonky and I should go and see a chiropractor. It is actually my hips on the right that hurt. So I'll make an appointment and see what happens.

02/01/2016 - Saturday - first time training on a Saturday. Dylan (son) did some leg presses and prowler pushes while I did my squats!

Squat: 155kg 3x5
    Bench: 100kg Supposed to be 3x5. After first set, decided to do 5x3. Shoulder seems to move on third rep. Perhaps because of breathing? Workout became 3,4,3,3,3. The mat I've bought seems to be helping though. A well spent £1.98! Edit: Also noticed that leg drive just after unracking, instead of just before, felt stronger.
    Powerclean: 97.5kg https://youtu.be/KO9bcEsNMbk 5x3 Did a few deadlifts here and there. Grip was little finger on ring. Missed a few reps on the middle sets but some reps felt comfortable.

Read log of pbeteros who has been advised to do more upper body accessory work, so I am giving it a go also, see what happens.

Dips: 10, 0, 0 - something pulled somewhere so stopped

Have had feedback from coaches on press and squat. Squat Press Both have noticed over extension in both exercises, so plenty to work on. Seems like I have the back flexibility of a flexible woman!

Was going to do some prowler pushes, but was taking too long. 5 days till Austria!
    Last edited by Ian Short; 01-03-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Bench edit

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Read log of pbetros who has been advised to do more upper body accessory work, so I am giving it a go also, see what happens.

Dips: 10, 0, 0 - something pulled somewhere so stopped
    Disappointing to miss out on the bicep curls haha. Because the curls have been programmed by a SSC, I feel like they are an appropriate part of the training rather than just being like every other guy doing curls!
    I look forward to both of our bench presses skyrocketing as a result of this extra bro-stuff!
    Last edited by pbetros; 01-03-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast