starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot

Default Reboot

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I did a LP last Summer and early fall but I started at ridiculously low weights on the "Stronglifts" program, switching to SS at around the time things started getting taxing. I didn't do my nutrition right, switched to TM mid Fall and then had to do a lot of travel last month, and only had a Planet Fitness available to me so I've been out from under the Barbell, as well as trying to reset things body composition wise.

I ended a TM about a month ago with 230x5 Squat, 290x5 DL, ~190x5 Bench, and 130x5 Press. (I also lost all my data on my phone so I'm not confident on those numbers).

So I'm going to try a LP again, paying much closer attention to my macros, and see how things go.

Edit:
    Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 172, (down from 189 a few months ago, somewhere around 15% fat)
    Last edited by Serack; 01-07-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Today's Workout.

Wakeup BW: 172.0lb (1 lb more than yesterday, 2lb more than Tuesday.)

Squat: 185x5x3
    Bench: 160x5x3
    PC: 90x3x5

I'm relatively ignorant on Power Clean form, so I'm going pretty light compared to what I'm confident I can do on DL. I tried to start with an empty bar at the top rack position the way the book says to but couldn't avoid smashing my trachea, so when I was working with weight, my forearms were nowhere close to horizontal, and my fists were still mostly closed around the bar. It didn't help that I was wearing a tank top and the knurl was removing skin just below my collar bone. Note to self, no tank top on PC day.

My intent is to increase squats by 10lb until around 215 and bench by 5lb until around 180 (Edit: Then go to 5 and 2.5lb increments respectively). Deadlifts I'll start at 225 and increase by 10lb until around 275. Not sure yet what I will do with press.
    Last edited by Serack; 01-07-2016 at 08:55 AM.

What is your height? For Power Clean your best bet is to go see a certified SS coach. Welcome back. Stay on the program. No one knows what his or her LP limit is until they reach it. Don't set artificial limits.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    What is your height? For Power Clean your best bet is to go see a certified SS coach. Welcome back. Stay on the program. No one knows what his or her LP limit is until they reach it. Don't set artificial limits.
    Knew I was missing something. OP edited, I'm 5'8"

I'm not sure I'm concerned enough about my PC to spend the money on coaching my form.

As for my "LP limit," I'm talking about decreasing the LP increments, not switching to a different program. Since I'm not an expert at determining when to drop from a 10 to 5lb squat increment, my intent was to take the large jumps until I start asymptotically approaching my earlier maxes while on TM, then switch to the smaller, more typical increments.

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    Knew I was missing something. OP edited, I'm 5'8"

I'm not sure I'm concerned enough about my PC to spend the money on coaching my form.

As for my "LP limit," I'm talking about decreasing the LP increments, not switching to a different program. Since I'm not an expert at determining when to drop from a 10 to 5lb squat increment, my intent was to take the large jumps until I start asymptotically approaching my earlier maxes while on TM, then switch to the smaller, more typical increments.
    Consider taking a look at the bar speed and how much effort you have to put into the lifts as a better metric for judging when you should go from larger weight increases to smaller ones. If you can repeat the reps/sets but it's damn grind, then you should consider 5 lbs on the squat and deadlift, and 2.5 lbs on the press and bench. Personally, I'm really hesitant to go off of standards or numbers, because the iron game is such a n=1 pursuit.

Keep at it!

Today's workout:

Squat: 195x5x3
    Press: 95x5x3
    DL: 225x5

Right before my last squat set, someone walked up and asked how many sets I had left on the only squat rack in the gym, and shortly thereafter, I was doing my first Press warm-up in over a month, and in my rush, I was a little startled at how much effort 95lb took, so I just made that my working weight. The next 2 sets weren't as much effort it seemed, but I already felt committed, so next Press workout I'll probably jump to 105.

It's a shame that there is only one rack. Can you find another gym?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    It's a shame that there is only one rack. Can you find another gym?
    Short: I have other options but on Saturday my priorities are that I am with my Family. Which means I to go to the Y.

Today's workout:

Squat: 205x5x3
    Bench: 165x5x3
    PC: 100x3x5

starting strength coach development program
    Today's workout:

Squat: 215x5,4,3
    Press: 105x5x3
    DL: 235x5

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast