starting strength gym
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Log for a flabby 50+ waistline warrior. Newbie/ Novice log

Default Log for a flabby 50+ waistline warrior. Newbie/ Novice log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Luckily there are two Starting Strength Gyms in my area. For a birthday present, I went to Fivex3 Training in Baltimore tonight for the first time and worked with Diego. Since I have been lurking for a while and reading your logs, thought a post was in order.

Background:
    55 years old. (young?)
    291 pounds.
    5 foot 10 inches.
    out of shape.

Was really excited to set this up last month and get started on this journey. After signing the standard waivers and such we got to work.

First up was squats. This was the exercise that had me concerned. Am not that flexible in the shoulders. Started with just freehand/weightless squats to get an idea of what they wanted. Then on to an unloaded bar and my fears were realized. The contortions I was made to get into resembled or felt like some kind of medieval dungeon type punishment. Was told everyone complains about this the first few times and it will get better. It really did! Was amazed how after a few sets, my body became more compliant. Didn't count how many total sets we did, but it wasn't bad. Worked up to a final set of 155 for 5.

Followed that up with the Press. This was easier on me. When I was younger, I just gave up on the press because it just hurt my shoulders. But the form taught did not cause me any pain. Although getting the hip thrust/bounce right was a little weird. (can't dance either) Worked up to three sets of 95 pounds for five reps.

After that it was deadlifts. My form is definitely a little off on this and this was the lift I was confident in. The main problem was a prodigious protuberance that kept hitting my thighs and making a deep breath difficult and the last two reps in a set of five were crappy. Still, worked up to a final set of 190 for a set of five and was huffing and puffing.

Found out that I am built for squatting (Long torso, short femurs.) but horribly built for Power Cleans, long forearms and short whatever the bone under the bicep is, which wouldn't allow me to rack the bar on the shoulders. (Right now you probably have a vision of an Ape or Cro-Magnon Man)

Overall a great experience. Always liked lifting heavy weights, but its been a LONG time and I was likely doing it wrong. Am going back this Friday night for more self flagellations.

recap;

Squats- 1 set of 155 pounds for 5 reps

Press- 3 sets of 95 pounds for 5 reps

Deadlifts- 1 set of 190 pounds for 5 reps.

Didn't keep track of warm up sets.

Awesome!

Welcome to the forum, wawa.

These are some pretty serious starting weights - so you have some weight room experience already? What did you do before?

Nice lifting for your first session - I think it's great you are getting solid coaching from the start. Have you read the book as well?

For advice on losing some weight while gaining strength check out the Nutrition section. You may also take a look at Karl Schudt's log in the competitive section.

Quote Originally Posted by peez View Post
    Welcome to the forum, wawa.

These are some pretty serious starting weights - so you have some weight room experience already? What did you do before?

Thanks for the welcome.

Lifted on and off (way more off) when I was younger. Hadn't trained heavy for at least ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Nice lifting for your first session - I think it's great you are getting solid coaching from the start. Have you read the book as well?
    Hi brkiete,

Have read most of it. Have it on a Kindle and I hate reading on a Kindle. Thinking about buying the real paper copy.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    For advice on losing some weight while gaining strength check out the Nutrition section. You may also take a look at Karl Schudt's log in the competitive section.
    Thanks for the tip Carson, will check that out.

Welcome to the forums, warrior. I'll be following your log.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I couldn't endorse working with a certified SS coach enough. Best of luck on the journey.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast