starting strength gym
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Default Rage, rage against the dying of the light

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well...crap. I'm starting over...I'm starting this blog to force me to "not go gentle into that good night".

Discovered Starting Strength 4 years ago when I faced neck/spine surgery...incredible pain for 8 weeks drove me to consider surgery. Instead, I made myself GET UP and start moving again despite the pain. Found some crazy people on the internet that said that i needed to do the opposite of what everyone was telling me: load up. So, I started with the bar...and SLOWLY worked through the SS program the best I could do. It worked! It worked really well! I was amazed...everyone was amazed.

Over 3 years of lifting, I gained 20 lbs of good weight (I have been underweight my whole life so this wasn't easy) up to 6'2", 203 lbs at age 53. It's the best I'd felt since I was in my 20s.

Then life happened...and a business emergency became my only focus. I haven't touched a bar in a year. Business is good now. So, worthwhile trade, I guess.

Current stats: 54 years old, 6'2", 183 lbs....unknown lifts...nowhere to go but up.

The good news is....I get to do SS again and enjoy the gains.

Tomorrow we begin the slow, process of rebuilding....and eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuma View Post
    Well...crap. I'm starting over...I'm starting this blog to force me to "not go gentle into that good night".

Discovered Starting Strength 4 years ago when I faced neck/spine surgery...incredible pain for 8 weeks drove me to consider surgery. Instead, I made myself GET UP and start moving again despite the pain. Found some crazy people on the internet that said that i needed to do the opposite of what everyone was telling me: load up. So, I started with the bar...and SLOWLY worked through the SS program the best I could do. It worked! It worked really well! I was amazed...everyone was amazed.

Over 3 years of lifting, I gained 20 lbs of good weight (I have been underweight my whole life so this wasn't easy) up to 6'2", 203 lbs at age 53. It's the best I'd felt since I was in my 20s.

Then life happened...and a business emergency became my only focus. I haven't touched a bar in a year. Business is good now. So, worthwhile trade, I guess.

Current stats: 54 years old, 6'2", 183 lbs....unknown lifts...nowhere to go but up.

The good news is....I get to do SS again and enjoy the gains.

Tomorrow we begin the slow, process of rebuilding....and eating.
    Can't wait to see the progress!

Thanks for your support Adam!
    Last edited by Kitsuma; 04-26-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Good to see your return. Wherever you start I suspect your gains will be even faster than the first time through.

Welcome back - you're in a great position to make sweet gainzZz all over again. Good luck!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I had to look at this after the Dylan Thomas reference. Now I'm following. Looking forward to seeing what you do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I had to look at this after the Dylan Thomas reference. Now I'm following. Looking forward to seeing what you do here.
    I thought it was Rodney Dangerfield?

Do not go gentle into that good night - Dylan Thomas - YouTube

And welcome kitsuma.

I don't think I would have gone in the gym yesterday if you guys hadn't posted here. You know the drill, I'm busy with work...and a ton of other excuses. So, thanks for that support/push.

Carson, I know you from the forums here...and you have always been an inspiration.

You know you are messed up when you get a little choked up watching Rodney Dangerfield recite your fav poem ;-)

And so it begins...after a year away, this is how I found it...

This is my chapel.
    There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    It is my life.
    I must master it as I must master my life.
    Without me, my chapel is useless.
    Without my chapel, I am useless.

It was a old shed full of possums and such before it became my sanctuary.

Date: 4/27/16
    Weight: 180
    Squat: bar x 5, bar x 5, 95 x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 4 - Worksets: 185 - 5x5
    Press: bar x 5, bar x 5, 65 x 5, 75 x 3 - Worksets: 85 - 5x5
    Deadlift: bar x 5 , bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 1 Worksets: 225 - 5

Great workout. Cranked up my old lifting tunes (I'm not allowed to hear them if I'm not lifting)...and it all just fell into place. Yea, there's profound strength loss, but it felt really good anyhow. Left the workout extremely hungry...so have been eating like a man since. That's going to be the key to success here for me: eating like a man. So, I'll close now and go eat some stinky sardines and a pint of raw milk.

Thanks again. I'm good to go now. It seems I just needed to get in there and deal with the fact that a 185 lb squat is now "heavy".
    Last edited by Kitsuma; 04-28-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Great sentiment.

Pob lwc!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Pob lwc!
    Diolch, Ian. Deuparth gwaith yw ei ddechrau!
    Last edited by Kitsuma; 04-29-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast