starting strength gym
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: swan's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Remembered to hook grip all reps finally, bitch
    I like your style, Swan. Sounds just like how I 'instruct' myself post workout.

Default 4/14 @ CrossFit Redding, Redding CA

Shit for sleep in the hotel - meh.

Cool drop-in policy here - costs a six-pack of beer. Brought 2 from the Wild River in Grants Pass since I was planning to lift twice while in town. Wild River is a restaurant that also brews several varieties of beer. Hope those guys enjoyed them.

C2 rower
    3:00 @ 2:25/500m
    Have I mentioned that I love the rower?

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    125x3
    155x3
    180x2 belt
    205x5x3 belt
    Still need work on getting those knees out
    And master cue, unbalanced fool

Press
    Barx5x2
    65x5
    85x3
    100x5x3
    Some work, but not hard
    Funky right knee shit - gotta remember also tight hams

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x2 belt - damn that felt heavy
    305x5 belt
    Slow but steady
    Hooking the work sets

Drove to Evanston, WY

Default 4/17 @ CrossFit Woodbury, Woodbury MN

4/15 drove from Evanston, WY to MN, 18.5 hours in the car.

Been a member here for about 1.5 years. After this workout talked to the owner about adding some times for just lifting.

C2 rower
    2:00 @ 2:20/500m

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    125x3
    155x3
    185x2 belt
    210x5x3 belt
    Bigger breath
    Last set was so good, why the fuck don't you do them all like that?

Bench
    Yeah, let's start over here
    Barx5x2
    85x4 - old guys can't always count I guess
    115x3
    145x3
    165x5x3
    A little wobbly, need bar path focus
    Overall a lot better though

Clean
    75x3
    105x3
    125x3
    145x3x3
    Ran out of time
    Why does the left shoulder hurt at the rack?

Chins
    BWx5x5 minimal rest due to time

Nice work especially after that drive! When I saw your early numbers the bench seemed way high relative to the other lifts, and when I went back it looked like that was set without the coach. Good call on the slight reset.

Default 4/20 @ CrossFit Woodbury

Been completely wiped out since last time. I think those last 2 days of driving have really caught up to me, while of course also trying to recover and am still sick.

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    165x3
    190x2 belt
    215x5x3 belt
    Stay damn tight
    Really felt the adductors - think the knees out was a lot better

Sat around for an hour to wait for yoga class, so ate a protein bar & read the forums.

Press
    Barx5x2
    70x3
    90x3
    105x5x3
    Well shit that was work

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x3
    235x2
    280x2 belt
    310x5 belt
    Fuck yeah that first rep practically floated up, how did that happen?
    Hmm that near-blackout after pulling heavy thing has gone away. Don't remember last time it happened

cgeorg - yeah that bench start was a bad guess with too big of a jump after the last warmup & then of course I stubbornly stuck with it like an idiot. Planning to schedule a session with Nick Klemetson as soon as I get a chance.

Default 4/24 @ CrossFit Woodbury

Finally starting to clear that cough I picked up in OR. Expecting it to linger a while like they usually do.

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    135x3
    170x3
    195x2 belt
    220x5x3 belt
    Had to grind out that last set
    Still getting a little forward at times
    Now that the bar is around body weight staying balanced has become a lot more interesting

Bench
    Barx5x2
    85x5
    115x3
    145x3
    170x5x3
    Well that was not bad at all, and bar path was better as well

Clean
    Bar hang clean x 6
    75x3
    105x3
    125x2
    145x3x4
    Ran out of time again, but last set was kinda crappy anyway
    Remember to jump harder
    A little slow getting under the bar on some reps, old man
    Oh yeah, when there's a belt available using it for last warmup & work sets - still waiting for the one I ordered

Chins
    BWx6x4
    BWx5

No go on adding lifting-only times here. Time to hunt for a new place to lift.

Default 4/22 @ Hastings YMCA

A squat rack and several bench stations plus they don't seem to mind deadlifters in the open space on the foor.
    On the other hand, there's no place to do chins. Tried a set of pull-ups from the bar in the top position in the smith machine but my knees were scraping the floor - prolly looked pretty funny there.

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    135x4
    185x2
    225x5x3
    Well hell, take the warmup from the book and this was not as hard as 220. Dunno for sure how much this helped but I was wondering if I shouldn't have quite such a heavy last warmup.
    Ok, the first set sucked as in heavy, but was better after that.

Press
    Barx5x2
    70x3
    90x2
    107.5x5x3
    Good pick on microloading. Was hard but not excessively so.
    Had a sharp pain on the right palm in the second set only - wtf?
    And there's that right knee wonky shit again because you forgot to lock up the legs fully

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x5
    225x2 - oops
    275x2
    315x5
    Some lumber rounding last 2 reps
    Duh don't drop hips when getting tight

No belt today as this Y does not have any and mine is not here yet. Expect it to arrive before I lift around home again. Out of town this weekend but lifting at my buddy's place.

Pull-up
    BWx4 in th smith machine ha

Edit: this was 4/27
    Last edited by swan; 04-30-2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Wrong date in title

Default 4/30 @ Mike's basement in north-central IL

Oh if I didn't put it in before, I weighed in at 222 on the balance scale at the Y the other day. I was at 217 at one point at my mom's house in OR about 3 weeks prior. Not exactly sure what I should be doing with BW but there are a couple data points anyway. Not exactly sure how I could eat more than I already am either, if it turns out I should be eating more at some point.

Squat
    Barx5x2
    95x5
    135x4
    170x2 - hip drive duh
    200x1 belt - bar forward in the hole again dammit
    230x5x3 belt

Observing lifter friend (Mike, of the basement) commented that set 1 was a bit high but set 2 looked good (well the 1st 3 reps for sure anyway).
    Wasn't really up to it but he took video of the last set which revealed a bunch of stuff so I'm glad for it. Interesting to watch frame by frame to really see what's what.
    My feeling of elbows too high was actually my hands slipping down the bar into full wrist extension during the 1st rep & staying there. Never thought much about my hands because they always started in the right place ha. Gotta fix that pronto.
    Reps 1-4 were 2-3" high, #5 at parallel. Yep so typical.
    A bad habit I picked up in CrossFit was to lean over more instead of actually getting lower when cued to "go lower". Of course I mostly accomplished this by losing tightness. I'm seeing some of that here as well.
    In the hole I shift my hips a little to the right. This felt to me like my left knee going back and the bar turning slightly to the left and then everything straightening back up during the ascent. I'm pretty sure this is a favoring the left hip thing that gets me some times. I broke the left hip back in 2005 (when I was a 162lb cyclist) and developed a lot of habits for favoring it. I still catch myself occasionally walking in such a way as to not let the left leg go back as far As the right. This is all mental bullshit though, as functionally it has felt fine since I recovered from plate removal surgery in 2009. Anyway that right-shift thing probably explains the groin & ITB soreness I've been having on the right side.
    I'm not very confident I can fix these things at the current work weight. I also have new shoes (adipowers) arriving before I lift again so maybe it's a good time to drop some weight as I work things out and get used to the shoes. I'm sure I'll be stewing this over until I get to the gym on tues.

BP
    Barx8x2
    85x5
    115x3
    145x2 - seemed ok but don't forget leg drive
    175x5x3
    Along the way discovered that closing the eyes during a set is really a pretty bad idea. Didn't mean to but it happened anyway.

No cleans today. Basement ceiling is joists which are only a few inches above my head and I don't trust my technique enough to believe my head would always go between them during the 2nd pull especially at warmup weights.

Chins
    BWx1
    BWx6,7,5
    Not feeling these today but maybe the 45F in the barn where the bar is had something to do with it (as in feeling whimpy). The sort of freely rotating bar was an interesting challenge factor.

starting strength coach development program
    Video - a cruel, but (usually) effective diagnostic tool.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast