starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My LP Adventure Log #1 or: How I Learned to Stop Weakness and Love the Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I understand the warning against getting greedy for gains. It's tempting to get out to the garage before the rest period is over. I just got my first pair of lifting shoes and want to try them out. I also can hardly wait to bench a big wheel for the first time and to add another big wheel on SQ and DL in the next week or two. But I'll be patient and DTP - hopefully injury free.

Date: 7/2/16
    BW: 192.8
    SQ: 185
    OHP: 80
    DL: 225

Notes: First time wearing the Adipowers for training. SQs were good - no problems. OHPs were a grind, as usual. The last one in the middle workset was goofy, so I did a couple of extra on my last workset. DLs were heavy - but I did a second set of big wheels!!! My back feels good; I'm glad I gave it some rest. I need to record the DLs more than the others to see what my back is doing.

Congrats on the DL milestone!

Welcome rusty!

Nice job getting started. That's great about the seminar. Getting to one so early in your training will benefit you greatly. We have some similarities so I'll be following along. I too practiced Krav Maga for a short time. That was 10 years ago while in "A" school for the Coast Guard. One of our instructors held free classes at night. I really enjoyed it -and hope to get back into it at some point, maybe when family life settles down a bit. I have 2 young ones as well.

Your home gym is nice, keep up the good work!

Great job on the DL milestone! Don't be afraid to slow the progress on the press down to 2.5lbs. If it's starting to be a grind, it would be good to keep the jumps smaller. Better to slow the progress than have to do a reset.

Date: 7/4/16
    BW: ??
    SQ: 195
    BP: 130

Notes: This workout was a little off. Not feeling it, fireworks going off, kids waking up being scared, etc. But we did it. Squats were ok. Middle workset was wonky, but final workset was solid. I'll try another 10lb jump next time, but I may need to start 5lb jumps soon. BP was grindy. My wife worked in with me again on the BP and did 70 lbs!

Date: 7/6/16
    BW: 193
    SQ: 185
    OHP: 85
    DL: 0

Notes: This WO was a mixed bag. SQs started out at 205, however my first set was too high. My second set was a close call according to video. I backed the third set back to 185 and depth was good or too low. Think I'll probably do 5 lb increments now. OHPs were good, but my form still gets loose as sets near the end. It really helps me if I close my eyes and just feel these - otherwise I'm staring at reflection in the window. DLs were good up to my workset (235 lbs), which I couldn't budge off the floor. I removed 10 lbs and tried again. No joy. I then packed it up and called it a night.

Date: 7/9/16
    BW: ?
    BP: 130

Notes: This WO was solid. SQs felt very good. Concentrated on keeping the bar on my back in the correct position. BP was at 130# again for some reason. The app didn't increment the weight 5# - weird. Anyways, I got them done. The wife and Jr #2 (7 mos old) worked in with me. The wife did 75# for both SQ and BP, while Jr #2 ate and did BW exercises.

YT video of SQ workset 2 195#
    Last edited by rustyprelude; 07-10-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Date: 7/11/16
    BW: 195.6
    SQ: 205
    OHP: 85

Notes: Gained a couple of more pounds, which makes it roughly 10 pounds in nearly a month. My pants still fit, so I'm good with it. It's interesting to me that back on 7/6, I tried 205 with the SQs as part of the LP, but couldn't get to depth during the first two work sets. I reset 20 lbs down to 185 with good depth and worked back up. This time 205 was just fine. OHP was better this time. Kept my eyes open this time, but looked at a point below the window.

YT video of SQ workset 3 205# - I failed at rep math...

Also, this was the last workout of my first month of Starting Strength. Here is progress I made from the SS App:
    Last edited by rustyprelude; 07-12-2016 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added 1st month progress

starting strength coach development program
    Date: 8/13/16
    BW: 195.4
    BP: 135
    DL: 205

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast