starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My LP Adventure Log #1 or: How I Learned to Stop Weakness and Love the Lifts

Post My LP Adventure Log #1 or: How I Learned to Stop Weakness and Love the Lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, everyone. I read through SSBBT and PP recently and learned that I need to get started getting stronger. I also learned that it's never too late. I've never been strong and never new how. I do now.

Current bio: 39 yo male, 5'11", 185 lbs - down from 202 lbs in January.

I was basically a sedentary office worker until this last year, when I was diagnosed with Osteopenia. I started Krav Maga in February to help combat this. I enjoy Krav very much. It's an hour each Mon and Wed and is the reason for my weight loss. Feeling better and losing some weight has given me momentum for getting stronger.

Potential Hurdles:
    1. Eating - I've never had to eat so much so consistently before, but I want to stop the Krav weight loss and start getting bigger to get stronger.
    2. Rest - Married, father of two: 2.5 and .5 yo boys. I get potentially 6-9 hrs sleep, but youngest sleeps with us so sleep is broken.
    3. Schedule - I haven't figured out if mornings or evenings will work better for me.

Goals:
    1. Attend a SS seminar in the next year or two.
    2. Getting stronger is a goal, but it's not specific. I don't know enough to set a reasonable, well-informed # goal. For example, is joining the 1,000# club within my reach or am I too late?

Having said all that, I just finished building my power rack yesterday, so it's time to get started! Starting figures incoming.

Garage gym
    Blog

You can join the 1000 club.

Welcome.

Good luck with the training. Am interested in Krav Maga but everything is an hour away.

Day 1 workout results are in:

Squat: 125
    OHP: 65
    DL: 175

I really enjoyed the squats and I think I had good form. I'm kinda disappointed with the OHP #, but yeah, I need lots of practice with this one. It just feels awkward and I know my form wasn't great. DL felt solid - enjoyed this one, too, but it already feels heavy. Need to check my upper back as I could occasionally feel it rounding. I'll have to record myself in the future.

This workout took place 2 hours after Krav where we do lots of body weight exercising. Wednesday's will, too. I'm curious if Friday workouts will come easier or feel lighter since I'll be fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by waistline warrior View Post
    Good luck with the training. Am interested in Krav Maga but everything is an hour away.
    Thanks, WW. I'm fortunate that I have a Krav studio only 5 miles away.Also, it has a competent, but relaxed, instructor and students who are, for the most part, chill and fun to practice with/on.

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    You can join the 1000 club.

Welcome.
    That encouragement made my day. Thanks.

Default Workout #2 commencing in T minus 8 hours and 30 minutes

Just a couple of quick notes:

1. I'm stoked about benching tonight. I haven't benched since the summer of 1997.
    2. Also, I just signed up for the Starting Strength Seminar in Gig Harbor on July 15-17! I'm excited and already a little nervous. This means that I'll meet my goal #1 in a month. Any of you going?
    3. Milk makes me feel terrible. Tried some whole milk for the first time since high school and, ugh, it did not go well for my GI tract. So, I'm switching out the milk for yogurt. Zoi greek yogurt, mmm...
    4. I'm buying a cheap bathroom scale. I'd like to stop losing weight and actually gain some back - perhaps up to 210-215 during my novice LP. Then back down to 200. Does that sound right for someone 5'11"?

Will be back with workout results.

Hey what's up I just started LP too! We have very similar lifts at this point. I look forward to progressing with you. Keep us posted!

Good luck with your LP. Just don't be afraid to switch to 2.5/5lb increments when things get heavy. The most important thing is progress. It's better to take it slow than get stuck.

Also, if you haven't read this, use it as a starting point. Tracking macros is a far better method than just calories. At our age, you have to be a little more careful about them to not put on unnecessary weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's lift results are in! PRs across the board.

Worksets (lbs)
    Squat: 135
    BP: 115
    DL: 185 - Deadlifted my bodyweight! Woot!

Total: 435lbs - almost halfway to 1,000.

My wife asked to work in with me on the BP. She repped 60 for her starting workset!

A couple of things about my workouts:
    I use warm-up sets as calculated by the app.
    For my pre-workout warm-up, I jump rope for a minute or so, then hit the heavy bag for a while.
    Lifting shoes are my Vibram Five Fingers.
    Current supplements are 5g Creatine each morning, BCAAs after Krav/before lifts, Vit D/fish oil/etc.
    Last edited by rustyprelude; 06-16-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: additional stuff

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast