Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: t-money's log, in search of the one training program to rule them all

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    welcome, you'll make great progress as long as you read the Book

I ran a few marathons many moons ago...SS is much more enjoyable lol

I ran a few marathons many moons ago...SS is much more enjoyable lol
    Indeed it is. It always struck me a bit odd that people would sign up for a competition to see who could run a big, sweaty circle the fastest, but I did it anyways. I'm glad those days are over!

7/29/16

Squat
    1x5 @ 45 lbs
    1x3 @ 95
    1x3 @ 135
    1x2, 1x1 @ 150
    4x3 @ 150

I psyche myself out sometimes. Still really close to squatting my bodyweight, finalllly, given the last number I saw on the scale.

Bench
    1x5 @ 45
    1x3 @ 75
    5x5 @ 95

Deloaded

Barbell rows
    5x3 @ 100

Power cleans
    1x2, 1x1 @ 100
    2x3 @ 100

Not liking these because I can't drop the bar so they niggle my shoulders, but they're something I really want to work on. :-(

Feeling good about this work-out and eating a ton of food (relatively)

Welcome! I look forward to following along!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by raivyne View Post
    Welcome! I look forward to following along!
    Thanks for the welcome raivyne. :-D I'll be following along with yours as well.

Welcome!! Bacon and deep fried carbs!!......heck.....yeah!!

I don't carb count on my workout days.......just keep shoveling into the fuel tank all day long!! I always feel so much stronger after a good day of grazing.....and when I don't eat all day long, the fatigue sets in earlier.....those end "gainz reps" are so much harder.....or don't happen.

7/30/16
    Hill run of approximately 3 miles. I was happy to see I still have some cardiovascular endurance after not doing much besides lift for months.

8/1/2016
    I felt not great today.

Squat
    2x5 @ 45 lbs
    1x5 @ 95
    1x3 @ 125
    2x1 @ 155
    3x5 @ 135
    1x3 @ 145

Mental energy is a thing. I probably could have sucked it up and gotten more reps (ok, like one more), but I just didn't have the energy to force myself, so I moved down to 135 instead. My calves were niggling me because of the hill run two days earlier as well, and that made for some trouble getting into a proper full squat (I try to squat ATG, although I wimp out and do parallel at higher weights often. Bad habit).

OHP
    2x5 @ 45
    2x5 @ 65
    1x4 @ 65
    1x5 @ 65
    1x4 @ 65

I was aiming for 5x5.

Deadlifts
    1x5 @ 135
    1x3 @ 165
    1x3 @ 185
    2x3 @ 200

Front squats
    1x5 @ 45
    1x5 @ 95
    3x5 @ 110

For OHPs, it's kinda annoying to still fail at the weight I started at 8 weeks earlier. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the program for upper-body stuff and really, everything. Sure, I tried keto for like a week. That was not smart, but that was one week out of eight. Is it possible that starting too high will cause you to make literally no progress whatsoever? Or going to failure too often? Or not eating enough? I've put on 7 or 8 pounds in the past 2 months, so I suspect it's not that. I'm cool with weight gain, but if it's not translating into strength gains, then... ??? I feel like I'm really making no progress with the program, hence why I said screw it and threw in some front squats at the end even though it's NDTP. Maybe I maxed out my LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian351 View Post
    Welcome!! Bacon and deep fried carbs!!......heck.....yeah!!

I don't carb count on my workout days.......just keep shoveling into the fuel tank all day long!! I always feel so much stronger after a good day of grazing.....and when I don't eat all day long, the fatigue sets in earlier.....those end "gainz reps" are so much harder.....or don't happen.
    Haha! Yeah, I kicked keto but I'm still keeping the bacon. I'm starting to think after some weeks of not great lifting that the secret to gainz just might be ... beer. I drank at least a beer a day when I started lifting and I often just got destroyed on weekends, and I saw a lot of progress!

Quote Originally Posted by t-money View Post
    Haha! Yeah, I kicked keto but I'm still keeping the bacon. I'm starting to think after some weeks of not great lifting that the secret to gainz just might be ... beer. I drank at least a beer a day when I started lifting and I often just got destroyed on weekends, and I saw a lot of progress!
    Same here, squatted 300 lbs friday for a new 1RM after waking up hung over.

If you're doing SS ala 3 sets of five, it may be time to move five sets to three and/or take smaller jumps. During my LP I learned that once I got to RPE 9, it was time for smaller jumps to avoid getting stuck.

If you're going for a more volume oriented approach ala strong lifts, you could stick a lower % of your 1RM and once you feel RPE creeping to about an 8 or 8.5, take smaller jumps.

Also, how much rest between sets? I was up to 7-8 mins between at the end of LP. (It's a long time, but this is what books are for) lol

Honestly, if you're still in novice progression, I wouldn't think 5x5 would be necessary to get stronger. Save that volume for weekly progression or endgame linear progression. But you know what they say about opinions and assholes... ��

I'm not an SSC and i hope my big nose in your business is not offensive... Just hoping to help.
    Last edited by Leanne M. Lloyd; 08-02-2016 at 03:25 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by raivyne View Post
    If you're doing SS ala 3 sets of five, it may be time to move five sets to three and/or take smaller jumps. During my LP I learned that once I got to RPE 9, it was time for smaller jumps to avoid getting stuck.

If you're going for a more volume oriented approach ala strong lifts, you could stick a lower % of your 1RM and once you feel RPE creeping to about an 8 or 8.5, take smaller jumps.

Also, how much rest between sets? I was up to 7-8 mins between at the end of LP. (It's a long time, but this is what books are for) lol

Honestly, if you're still in novice progression, I wouldn't think 5x5 would be necessary to get stronger. Save that volume for weekly progression or endgame linear progression. But you know what they say about opinions and assholes... ��

I'm not an SSC and i hope my big nose in your business is not offensive... Just hoping to help.
    You've been lifting a lot longer than I have so that makes you a great coach in my opinion! Thanks for the questions. Sometimes I get a bit impatient and I really just need someone to talk me through what could go wrong.

The reason I did 5x5 was that I started with it, and did OHP at 5x5 for 65, 68, and 71 before deciding to switch to 5x3. I heard the OHP responded well to volume. I'm glad you mentioned that you were up to 7 or 8 minutes rest between sets. That could very well have been the problem. I was resting probably 3 or so minutes between sets, but it's hard to tell when you're ready to go with a small-muscle lift like OHP since you're not really feeling exhausted like you would with deadlifts, but your muscles are probably not ready to go still anyways despite mentally how you feel.

Per your advice I'll just stick with 5x3 and make myself take longer rests. I'm still relatively new to lifting, and coming from training for marathons (the programs I did were just run a lot, then run some more after that. Aerobic endurance is mostly about long, slow miles for volume after all), it's hard for me to understand that more is not necessarily better in weight training. And my insistence on volume is probably why my arms have been persistently sore in weird places...

Thanks for the check. I appreciate it!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast