starting strength gym
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: t-money's log, in search of the one training program to rule them all

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/21

Not super feeling it, but better than yesterday. Usually I don't mind getting in the gym and once I get there I want to do more than what I had planned, but today I just did the minimum.

Neutral grip pull-ups
    9, 8, 8, 7, 6 @ BW - 38 total
    - PR for volume. Sometimes I squirm to get my chin over the top on the last one but these I just pulled, although the last 1-2 were hard. Yay for that extra bit in the upper part of ROM.

Split squats
    2 x 7 @ 25#, 5 @ 30, 35, 40, 20 on left, 17+3 on right @ 20#
    - I jut my pelvis forward, in particular when it's hard to get back up, so focused on tucking my lower abs.

BW: 149.2

8/22

Bench
    8 @ bar, 4 @ 85, 1 @ 95, 1 @ 115, 5x3 @ 127.5 @ 9-9.5 rpe
    - Could have maybe made this 4x4 but ... form

Neutral grip pull-ups
    9, 9, 8, 7, 6 - 39 total
    - need to work more holds at the top and lat pull-downs to chest because it's that ROM that's still sticky. PS my arms are jacked. No wonder most women don't do pull-ups and bench. It's not "feminine" lolololol. Stupid hip mobility is making me a regular old gym bro with stick legs and thick arms.

Dips
    5 @ bw, 5 @ +25, 3x5 @ +40
    - Should probably get a video on my form when weighted. Feels like my elbow gets out of line sometimes.

Deadlifts
    5 @ 135, 5 @ 155, 3 @ 175, 3 @ 195, 1 @ 205, 1 @ 215
    - BTW, split squats are totally squats. My hamstrings weren't feeling so great, but still did something with them. Will probably cut deadlift frequency to 1x a week. Felt pretty solid about form for these. I wonder when I'll stop getting wrecked hamstrings from squats. Well, at least I finally found them in some variation of squat.

Suitcase carries
    4 x 3 x length of tiny gym @ 53# ~ 4 x 90 ft? I don't know

BW: 150.0

Fun study: The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text So at the very least eating a ridiculous lot of protein i.e. 2g/lb/day doesn't make you gain fat - although it's still to be seen if you are on a progressively more difficult program will it make you gain more muscle. I'm going to double my protein powder intake to 4 scoops a day and eat more whole roast chickens, see what happens.

Googled "jacked mothafucka": this came up

Hide your chickens, hide your cows, because

lol

8/24

So much doing nothing yesterday. So much sleeping. So much win today.

Neutral grip pull-ups
    3x5 @ +17.5# - RPE 9.5, 10, 10
    - Rep 5 of last 2 sets kinda ugly. Counting it anyways.

OHP
    8 @ 15# dbs, 4 @ 45, 2 @ 55, 1 @ 65, 75, 80, 82.5, 85, 3x2 @ 80, 7x2 @ 77.5
    - PR for 2.5 and 5. Took it down from 80 because that wasn't sustainable doing a set every 2-3 minutes

Split squats
    5 @ 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 16+4 on left, 10+6 on right @ 30#
    - These really help in understanding where to put the weight in my foot - lean forward on my toes and my knees click. Probably what made my knees angry in the first place...

BW: 148.2
    Last edited by t-money; 08-24-2017 at 03:32 PM.

8/26

Got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so was 50/50 about doing regular programming with my enforced break from eating whole chickens. Protein shakes and chocolate pudding don't quite fill the gap.

Bench
    8 @ bar, 5 @ 85, 2 @ 105, 1 @ 120, 2x5 @ 130 - RPE 9.5, 10 billion, 3,f @ 130
    - Didn't hit 127.5 for 5 but figured fuck it, 120 was light and I don't have 1.25 lb plates so give 130 a go. Knew after one set 3x5 would be a miracle, so 2x5 I'm pleased with. Reps 1-3 always go up smooth, but 4 and 5 are a grind. I just going to sneak up on benching 150... no 1 rm attempts until it's on the program for reps.

Supersetted w/barbell rows
    5 @ 75, 95, 105, 95, 95
    - Experimenting - back horizontal and pulling from floor feels best.

Deadlift
    5 @ 135, 3 @ 185, 2 @ 205, 1,f @ 225, 2x5 @ 185
    - Feeling it in my BUTTTTTT. I definitely can't lift as much weight with a good form deadlift right now as with my previous lower back dominant way, so I'm just going to have to scale back a bit and build up.

Lat pull-downs, GH raises, static dips superset
    5x5 @ 80# to sternum
    3x10 - many breaks in last two sets as these are harddd to do well. Cranking out shitty reps is easy. Just focusing on using your butt... yeahhhhhhh not so much.
    3x18, 2x15 - 84 total

BW: 147.8

Not a bad day. What can I eat now?????????
    Last edited by t-money; 08-26-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: grammmer spell? i cannt do it

wow, was there any bleeding after your workout? I have some dental work i need to do, but frankly i'm putting it off until i get my dead a bit higher because i had thought that the valsalva pressure would cause some bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    wow, was there any bleeding after your workout? I have some dental work i need to do, but frankly i'm putting it off until i get my dead a bit higher because i had thought that the valsalva pressure would cause some bleeding.
    I got lucky and didn't have a ton of bleeding when I had them pulled in the first place, so the dentist said. They told me not to do strenuous exercise for the first few days (lol). I didn't have any bleeding during or after gym time.

But, they did say just the first few days. I bet the blood would be good and clotted and the healing would have advanced enough within a couple days if you take it easy, so worst case scenario is you might miss a session or perhaps two in the gym. Terrible! I know. I was nervous about missing gym time too but it turned out OK. Maybe there's some glute/trap accessory work you can hit in the meantime if things go bad such that you have to miss a few sessions, which you probably won't have to, but you never know.

Not sure if lifting after wisdom teeth removal is really wise... 😉 But good job anyway. I would not have attempted that, but I had blood and saliva dripping from my mouth just walking through Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirimiti View Post
    Not sure if lifting after wisdom teeth removal is really wise... 😉 But good job anyway. I would not have attempted that, but I had blood and saliva dripping from my mouth just walking through Walmart.
    Even in the days after? yikes. I had to get to the pharmacy to get meds directly after, and that was too much, couldn't open my mouth lest I spewed blood and saliva myself, but day after I was fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by t-money View Post
    Even in the days after? yikes. I had to get to the pharmacy to get meds directly after, and that was too much, couldn't open my mouth lest I spewed blood and saliva myself, but day after I was fine.
    Oh sorry, just bleeding on the same day while waiting for my prescription to be filled. The next day was just a bit of bleeding if I moved my jaw too much, then soreness for a few days when moving too much.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast