starting strength gym
Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirimiti's SS log - Novice Female

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    SQ - 160lbs x 2x3 + 155lbs x 3 + 135lbs x 2x5
    Major problem today. I am scared of the weight (I think that's the problem..?). Before even getting under the bar to start my work sets, I start shaking and not in control of my body, butterflies in my stomach, I feel lightheaded and a bit dizzy. I tried to control my breathing to calm myself down and got the first 2 (fairly easily actually) but I started to grey-out when I went for set #3 (10 minutes between sets, just taking the time to calm myself). I decided not to risk #3 and dropped it 5lbs, hoping it would relieve some of the anxiety. I got it done but had to sit down right after before I blacked out. I have felt lightheaded/slight greying of the vision on heavy sets before and this was not the same. This felt like an anxiety attack (I've only had 2 minor ones before but this was very similar). The final sets at 135lbs were done with someone spotting me/just nearby and ready to step in, just in case something went wrong. I didn't think they would be an issue but I still felt shaky and didn't trust myself. I didn't feel fatigued by the weight at all and probably could have got all my reps except for the psychological factor. This happened last week too, but not nearly as bad. The weight isn't even that heavy. I remember grinding so much more back in September with 115lbs and I didn't have this anxiety. Feelings of trepidation are standard but this is excessive.

OP - 74lbs x 6x1 + 65lbs x 2x4 (no belt)
    I was still breathing rapidly and lightheaded doing these so I just went with singles.

DL - 135lbs x 5 + 155lbs x 3x3 + 135lbs x 5 (all no belt)
    The anxiety pretty much had passed by deads but I couldn't focus. I was just distracted and felt almost high.

SPD - 75lbs x 3x10

Treadmill - 10 minutes @ 2% (6km/h)
    I think just steady walking was a better idea today than trying to do HIIT.

I hope you can feel better about the squats soon. It's only a little bit more than last time! Just think about it as 2 lbs more than before.

That sounds no bueno! Hoping it's just an aberration and you can get back to killing it.

Plus bananas are delicious when covered with peanut butter, which also has some protein

Bananas and peanut butter? Really? ok, I have to try that.

Sirimity, I hope you can find a way of getting the anxiety you feel before heavy squat under control somehow.

Maybe there is a way you can turn some of it towards a controlled aggression against the weight you are going to lift? I don't know.

Another thought... if you've made a "gym friend" or anything there... just having someone there to watch/motivate/say "you got this", "looked easy" etc can do wonders.

Bananas and PB are the bomb! Any excuse to eat them.

I kept telling myself it's only 2lbs more but it didn't help any. Even after the first set that was fairly easy, it didn't alleviate any fear.

My gym buddy asked if drank a lot of coffee yesterday because it gives some people the shakes. Maybe 1.5 but I don't drink a lot to begin with so maybe it was enough to have negative effects.

I am going to try eliminating coffee before, eat a banana & PB (which I actually usually eat after) and idk what else. Just hope it goes better. Warm ups were perfectly normal. It only starts right before work sets.

I was gonna ask about coffee too. I've had caffeine-induced panic attacks before. Especially if it's caffeine and a somewhat empty stomach.

I've been getting pretty scared before all my squat and deadlift work sets for the last month or so. The only thing that seems to help is to try turning it into aggression -- smacking my legs a bunch, or stomping, or today I gave a little yell before a scary deadlift single. I dunno. I'm sorry you had such a rough time, hopefully next workout is better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    Bananas and peanut butter? Really? ok, I have to try that.
    Goes well in a sandwich too. Add honey and it's even better. Another winning combination is Nutella and banana sandwich.

Apples and PB also a good snack. Have not tried a sandwich version of this though, so I can't say if it's any good.

Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast