starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle's progress

Default August 15, 2016

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good workout today.

Bodyweight: 212.8lbs (lost some weight by keeping the diet high protein, quality carbs)
    Squat: 215lbsx5x3
    Press: 95x5x3
    Deadlift: 220x5x1

Form was generally good. I lost my vertical bar path on the way up on my fifth deadlift rep.

Keep up the good work, Eagle. I'll be following along. I have UC as well. I'm glad yours is mild.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyprelude View Post
    Keep up the good work, Eagle. I'll be following along. I have UC as well. I'm glad yours is mild.
    Thanks, and good luck. UC sucks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thumbs up Friday, August 19th Training

Late this week. I'm a bit concerned that I seem to be dropping to a two-times-a-week training schedule. Hopefully, I can reset next week.

Bodyweight: 214.0 lbs
    C2 Rower: 3:00
    Squat: 217.5lbsx5x3 (relatively easy)
    Bench Press: 122.5lbsx5x3 (quite easy)
    Power Clean: 120lbsx3x5
    Chinups: 105lbsx12xx2, 105lbsx9

As you can see, squat and bench press were nowhere near as hard as they have been the past few weeks. Maybe my form is improving. I have been sleeping more regularly and taking creatine. Could that have something to do with it?

Bench press was so easy, I had to check to make sure I was lifting with a 45lb bar. It came in a little light (43lbs--not my usual bar at the gym), so maybe that was why it was so easy.

I had to avoid two bros doing calf raises in the machine beside me as I power cleaned. They were oblivious to the danger, so I kept an eye on them, and only cleaned when they were engaged in their movements.

I could not complete 12 chinups on the third set. I'll plan on repeating 105lbs next time.

Goals for 8/21/2016 training session:
    -Squats: 220lbsx5x3
    -Press: 97.5lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 225lbsx5x1
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-19-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo fix!

Default Sunday, August 21st Training

Bodyweight: 216.8lbs
    Squat: 220lbsx5x3
    Press: 97.5lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 225x5x1
    Assisted Chinups: 115x12x3 (see below)

Training notes: As suggested in SS:BBT3, I've been doing chinups (assisted) with ever decreasing assistance every B training session. Dedicated readers will remember I failed to make 12 reps on the third set the last time I attempted assisted chins, at 105lbs.

This session, my biceps felt good throughout, so I decided to try doing assisted chins on the A workout too. Success. Adaptation to the increased weight last time had taken place, and I was able to complete the weight without much effort today. I'll keep adding 5 lbs per workout and performing assisted chins until it becomes obvious that I should go to every other workout. I'd like to get off the assisted chins machine and start doing bodyweight as much as possible.

Another word: the diligent and detail-oriented will note I (apparently) added 10 lbs to my assisted chins weight this time, but, in fact, I was lifting with the same amount. The problem was my calculations. In the past, I took the difference of my bodyweight and the assistance weight on the machine when calculating chinup work weight. Of course, the bodyweight measurement was my weight on the bathroom scale right after getting out of the shower in the morning, so I was not accounting for the clothes I was wearing and general diurnal flux. I weighed myself on the scales at the gym, and was surprised to find nine additional pounds. So, the jump is likely not too much of a jump.

Also, after the concern about my bench bar weight last workout, I weighed my standard bar tonight. It came in at 44 lbs.
    Non-training notes: It was a busy day at church today, so I didn't get to the gym till late. I was alone for the majority of the time; one fellow came in to do bench press and hit a bag a few times, then left. No demand for the Power Rack other than mine.

Next workout: Tuesday, August 23
    Goals:
    Squat: 222.5lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 125lbsx5x3
    Power Cleans: 125lbsx3x5
    Assisted chinups:120x12x3

Default Tuesday, August 23

Laughter and tears today...

Bodyweight: 216.2lbs
    Squat: 225lbs(!)x5x3
    Bench Press: 125lbsx5x3
    Power Clean: 125lbsx3x2, 125x1 (?)
    Assisted Chinups: 118lbsx12x3

Training notes:
    -I got to my final workout rep on squats, and it was easy. So easy, in fact, I decided to forego the 2.5lbs progression and try a 5lb jump (also, I wanted to get to 2 plates).

I've been dogging it. 5lbs went great. I'm ashamed I've been taking it easy so long. Back to 5lb increments every workout, until further notice.

-Power clean, on the other hand, sucked. I got through two sets of 3 with some difficulty. After the first rep in the third set, though, I just couldn't explode enough to get the bar to rack position and had to quit. Hopefully, just a momentary lapse of strength or form that will be fixed by next power clean session (Sunday, 8/28, if I stick to the plan).

Goals for 8/26/16:
    -Squat: 230lbsx5x3
    -Press: 100lbs(!)x5x3
    -Deadlift: 230lbsx5
    Assisted Chinups: 125x12x3

Thumbs up Saturday, August 27th

Bodyweight: 216.4lbs
    Squat: 230lbsx5x3
    Press: 100lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 230lbsx4; 230lbsx1 (with double overhand grip)
    Assisted Chinups: 128lbsx9; 123lbsx12x2

Training notes:
    -Squats were hard again. I look forward to seeing how a 5lb jump goes next workout. I wouldn't be surprised if I miss a rep or two, but I'll keep taking my creatine.
    -It felt triumphant to press 100lbs over my head for three sets of five. I took an exultant moment to recall how such a milestone would have been impossible a mere 4 months ago. What a difference.
    -My grip started to slip on the final work rep of the deadlift, so I switched to double overhand and finished the final rep to walkout, with a short break in between. I shall watch for grip slip and try to preemptively switch in the future.
    -I miscalculated my assisted chinup weight, going 5 pounds over my goal and failing after the 9th rep. After adjusting to the appropriate rate, I was back where I should have been, doing 12 rep sets.

Goals for next time:
    -Squat: 235lbsx5x3
    -Bench Press: 127.5lbsx5x3
    -Power Clean: 125lbsx3x5
    -Assisted Chinups: 128x12x3

Default Updated Progress Graph

At the end of 4 months work, gains have increased since the last graph

Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-27-2016 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Resized image

Nice work on the chins!!
    As for the graph,its an idea well worth stealing

(tapatalk)

Default Eagle's progress

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    Nice work on the chins!!
    As for the graph,its an idea well worth stealing

(tapatalk)
    Agreed - is that a program or something you created Eagle?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast