starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle's progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by iSquat View Post
    Agreed - is that a program or something you created Eagle?
    Thanks--would you believe, the graph program in Microsoft Excel?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I used to keep an excel spreadsheet just to convince myself taking smaller jumps and seeing how and when the weight still piles on.
    Need to get that back and plot some graphs...

(tapatalk)

Default Tuesday, August 30 training

Ick--rough day in some ways. First, the numbers:

Bodyweight: 216.6lbs
    C2 Rower: 3:00
    Squat: 235lbsx5x3 (PR)
    Bench Press: 127.5lbsx5x3 (PR)
    Power Clean: 125lbsx5x1, failed subsequent sets
    Assisted Chinups: 127lbsx9x2

Training notes:
    -Squat felt great. The last rep in each set was dang hard, and I felt my upper body lag behind my hips a few times. But I did it.
    -Bench press felt good too. The last rep was very hard, but never unsafe or unmanageable. Good form throughout.
    -Power Cleans: And, the bottom dropped out. Warm up sets were going good, but I kept failing work set attempts. My jump failed to elevate the bar sufficiently to get under it. This is the second session in a row this has happened, so it's time to back off and regroup. I'll do 110lbs next B workout, focusing on good form throughout.
    -Assisted chins: my linear progression failed today, but after power cleans, I wasn't feeling it. I'm thinking it was just a bad day. I'll try again next workout at 127ish lbs and try to complete 12x3.

Other notes:
    -I missed Sunday night training due to a long day at church and general sloth. I'm still taking the creatine and eating well. I'm getting good sleep too.

Goals for Thursday, September 1:
    -Squat: 240lbsx5x3
    -Press: 102.5lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 235lbsx5x1
    -Assisted Chinups: 127lbsx12x3

Default September 3 Training

Interesting session. I was out of town for the holiday and visited a new gym.

Squat: 237.5lbsx2, 225lbsx3, 237.5lbsx5, 2 (form slipped on last rep)
    Press: 102.5lbsx4x3
    Deadlift: 235lbsx5x1 (double overhand grip, and belt)

Notes: Squat and press were both quite difficult. The new machine (a combination squat rack/Smith machine) distracted me, and I didn't pay close attention to my form on the squats. I set the pins too high and had to dump the weight on my second set. Third set, my form slipped on my second rep and I racked it, knowing I couldn't finish.

Throughout overhead press, I could not manage the final rep of each set.

Previous workout, I failed Power Clean, and wondered if I needed to build up my deadlift a bit first. Today, deadlift was the only exercise that felt like I could do more. I think I will try to do deadlift every session for a while, going up 5 lbs each time, till it gives out.

Tomorrow, I'll retry 237.5lbs on squats (with proper form this time), and 240lbs on deadlift.

Well, my plans fell apart, and I found myself going a week and a half without training. Tonight (9/15/2016), I got back to it, reducing load to compensate.

Bodyweight: 214.4lbs
    Squat: 225lbsx5x3 (very hard)
    Bench Press: 120lbsx5x3 (not too hard)
    Deadlift: 225lbsx5x1
    Assisted Chinups: 120lbsx12x2, x9

Notes:
    The layoff, along with failure to maintain my high protein diet in the interim, lead to some definite dropoff of performance, as is to be expected.

I wore a workout belt for squats and deadlift--squat felt good with it. Deadlift was easier with the bely, but felt very awkward.

Going forward, I need to get back on schedule, and will increase by 2.5 lbs on squats, bench press and overhead press, and 5 lbs on deadlifts and chins. I'll hold off on restarting power clean till my deadlift is quite a bit bigger than my squat.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hello again. So, it's been not quite three months since last I lifted. Though sloth started my slide, a broken ankle ended it, and so I find myself relatively deconditioned and ready to regain my former heights.

Changes this time:
    -Since I will be starting from a position of weakness relative to my maximum weights, I have the opportunity to really emphasize form and not increase weight too fast. I started today by not pushing myself on the A group exercises.
    -Last time I went through SSBBT3, I failed to sufficiently control my diet, just generally reducing carbs and otherwise doing what I wanted. As a result, body recomposition never really seemed to occur. This time, I am on the recommended high lean protein, high fibrous vegetable, low carb, low fat diet. It is from Bodyrecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald : Bodyrecomposition, and goes like this:
    >200g protein a day
    >Unlimited fibrous veggies
    >Creatine, electrolyte, Omega-3 (1g/day), calcium supplementation
    >1 5-hour carb refeed/week
    >1 free meal/week
    >Continue for 2 weeks, then go to maintenance

So, we'll see how this goes. Monday (12/5/2016) was day 1 of SSBBT3 part 2 and the new diet. New baseline data are below:

Bodyweight: 213 lbs
    Squats: 135lbsx5x3
    Press: 75lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 165x5x1

Notes:
    -Since I'm starting over after a long break, I only went till I could feel a stress on my form. I could have pushed out more weight on each exercise, but I'm following Rip's direction from PPST and avoiding extreme soreness (hopefully).
    -Because of this, I expect an accelerated improvement over the next few weeks. I hope to go up 15lbs per workout in squat and deadlift, and 10lbs per workout in press and bench press for as long as I can.
    -I've added my data to my spreadsheet. The graph really shows just how much work I have to do to get back to where I was before. I wonder how long it will take to equal it?

It feels great to be back at it.

12/7/2016 Workout

Bodyweight: 212 lbs
    C2 Rower: 6:00 minutes (warming up sore quads)
    Squats: 150x5x3
    Bench Press: 105x5x3
    Deadlift: 180x5x1

Notes:
    -I met my goals pretty easily, which is to be expected when regaining progress. Things felt good generally, and I corrected my squat form when I felt my chest dropping during the second work set.
    -This diet is quality, and has shown me a flaw with my previous training: I was never getting enough protein! My progress would wax and wane, and I wasn't sure why. What I didn't realize is how hard it is to consume 200g of protein a day. It's a major intentional effort. There's no way I was making it with my lackadaisical approach before. Hopefully, this focus on getting my protein, carb, and fat levels right will show dividends in the future.

Next workout goals (12/9/2016):
    Squat:175x5x2
    Press: 85x5x3
    Deadlift: 195x5x1

Default 12/10/2016 Workout

Bodyweight: 211 lbs
    Squat: 165 lbsx5x3
    Press: 85 lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 195 lbs x5x1

Notes:
    -One day late because pregnant wife was sick (second kid on the way!). Diet and protein intake remained acceptable.
    -My training weights were challenging but manual. I'm beginning to feel the squats in my abs, so I think I'll start wearing my belt again next time.
    -This three day break contained my 5 hour carbohydrate refeed and my free meal, both of which were enjoyed with aplomb.

Goals for 12/12/2016:
    Squat: 180 lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 115 lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 210 lbsx5x1

Default 12/13/2016 Workout

Stats
    Bodyweight: 212lbs
    Squat: 180lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 115lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 210lbsx5x1

Notes:
    -Good workout today; efficient and without incident.
    -I slipped on my diet yesterday; was pretty good today. I plan on being better tomorrow.
    -Deadlift workset was HARD this time, and I had to go to the hook grip on the last rep of the work set.
    -I wore a belt for squat and deadlift this time, not because the weight was so heavy, but to get used to it. I'll keep doing so in the future.

Goals for 12/15/2016:
    Squat: 195lbsx5x3
    Press: 95lbsx5x3
    Deadlift: 225lbsx5x3

Talking I'm back, baby

starting strength coach development program
    Ladies and gentlemen, having recovered from a nasty bout with gallstone and now 1 month post-chylocystomy, I got clearance to finally return to the gym. Today, this happened:

Bodyweight: 208.4 lbs
    Squats: 140x5x3
    Press: 65x5x3
    Deadlift: 165lbsx5x1

Sore but happy to be back at it. I'm eating my 200g of protein a day and trying to keep the carbs under control.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast