starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle's progress

Default Eagle's progress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Prior to May, I hadn't had any experience with barbells since I ran into my father's weight set when I was six and gave myself a black eye.

Having a daughter made me protective; thus, SS.

First workouts (5/3/16 & 5/6/16):
    -Squat: 95lbsx5x3
    -Press: 60lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 105lbsx5x1
    -Bench Press: 55lbsx5x3
    -Bodyweight: 199lbs (too much sitting at a desk all day).

Three months later (7/26/16 & 7/28/16):
    -Squat: 202.5lbsx5x3
    -Press: 87.5lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 205lbsx5x1
    -Bench Press: 110x5x3
    -Power Clean: 100x3x5
    -Bodyweight: 208.6lbs

Slow but steady wins the race.

I hit a lag this July with traveling and other concerns, and couldn't train much. I hope I'm back on it now.

I'm not sure what else to do except post my results after every workout. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 07-29-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Default Graph

Here's a graph I made that shows my early gains and late June/early July stagnation. It started with some shoulder and groin discomfort that concerned me; I backed off, then got busy, and it suddenly became easier to stay home than go the the gym. Back on track now, I hope.

Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 07-29-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Original too large

Thumbs up 7/31/2016 update

Last day of July, Sunday workout.

Bodyweight: 210lbs
    Squat: 205lbsx5x3
    Bench: 115lbsx5x3
    Power Clean: 105lbsx3x5
    Assisted Chinups (new addition!): 90lbsx12x3

Workout notes: Also tried glute/ham raise a few times, to get a feel for the exercise. Maybe I'll include this if/when deadlift/power clean progress halts again.

Assisted chinups were nice; lots of burning in forearms on 12th reps. Used 120lbs assistance on 210lbs bodyweight. Consider adding 5 lbs next time (115 lbs assistance) if gym has 5 pound weights to add the weight stack. Will need to check.

Worked out at 10:45 after daughter was in bed. I had the gym to myself for a bit at the beginning. A few people came and went, but no one seemed interested in barbell work. One guy did mainly barbell curls, and a group of people came in at the end for what appeared to be cardio boxing.

Non-workout notes: wife guessed my weight this morning at 203 lbs. Amazed when I told her 210, as she is used to seeing me carry weight around my waist.

This morning at church, someone asked if I was working out; said it was obvious I'd become more muscular! A nice motivation to keep it up.

Next training session: Tuesday, 8/2/16. Goals: 207.5 squat, 90 press, 210 deadlift
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-01-2016 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Eagle can't get his dates right

Welcome to this great experience. Height and age please.

Thanks--6'1", 37 years. I tried to update the original post with these data but cannot, for some reason.
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Default 8/2/2016 Entry

Bodyweight: 210.8 lbs

Training:
    -Squats: 207.5lbsx5x2, 207.5lbsx4
    -Press: 90lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 210x5

Training notes:
    -During warm-up for squats, my lower back got tight, almost like a cramp. I waited a bit to perform my work sets, but it never really relaxed. Work sets were tough but manageable, though I went ass-to-grass on the final rep of the third set, and couldn't finish it. I had to bail. So close; next time, I'll attempt 207.5 lbs again.
    -Press was very nice. Normally, I struggle to get the bar motion started on my work sets, and have an easier time at the top. This time, my shoulders carried me through the entire motion without noticeable strain.
    -Deadlift was manageable, but I noticed my form breaking down on the repeated reps of the work set. I bent my knees upon lowering the bar and did not reset to straight legs before pulling again. I caught this four reps into my work set and corrected it then. Hopefully I can fix this going forward.

Non-training notes:
    -Tonight, i worked at at my church's gym, where we have converted a racquetball court into a free weight room. We have four half racks, nice 20K bars, and bumper plates. I love training there (no one else is ever around, so I can get some privacy), but the hours are not always convenient for my schedule. So, when I can't make it to the church gym, I visit a 24 hour gym around the corner from my house. No bumper plates and only one power rack, but I can go at my own time.

Next workout: 8/4/2016
    Goals
    -Squat: 207.5lbs/5/3
    -Bench Press: 120lbsx5x3
    -Power Clean: 110lbsx3x5
    -Chinups: 95lbsx12x3
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-02-2016 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Good progress so far. One other possibility for LPing chins if the you can't microload weights is to use a combination of weight and reps. So if there aren't 5s, you could do 100x8x3, then 100x10x3, then 100x12x3, then bump to 110x8x3. I'm doing something similar with my accessory work - it's especially helpful for smaller muscle group exercises like barbell curls.

Default Friday, 8/5/2016 Entry

I was ill last night with abdominal pain from trapped gas--my wife and daughter were away and my diet got pretty poor. So I paid for it. This morning, I had the day off and went in to train.

Bodyweight: 214.2lbs (from poor diet last few days--lots of ice cream)
    C2 Rower: 3 minutes
    Squats: 207.5lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 120lbsx5, 120lbsx4, 117.5lbsx5 (reduced weight after failed rep on final set)
    Power Clean: 110lbsx3x5
    Assisted Chinups: 94.2lbsx12x3

Workout notes:
    -Last workout, I missed the final rep on 207.5 squats. This week, I made it.
    -I failed the final rep of the second bench press set, and dropped down 2.5 pounds with my 1.25lb microweights (I just take them with me to the gym). I'll try 120 again Tuesday.
    -I took some time to make sure I wasn't bending my knees on the power clean descent after last workout's deadlift revelation. I just unlocked my knees, but otherwise kept them straight.
    -Since I gained 4.2 lbs since my last workout, I was able to progress on assisted chinups without scrounging out additional weight. I did check, and my gym has 5 lbs weights for machine stacks. Next time I chin, I'll try 100lbs. If I'm back to my normal 210lbs bodyweight by then (likely if I get back to a healthy diet), It'll take 110lbs assistance (Thanks for the tip, cgeorg).

Non-workout notes:
    -I started 5g of Creatine today (I got a good deal on woot.com), about 30 minutes before working out. I think I'll stay at 5g a day. The label said I could go up to 20g a day, but I don't want to go overboard.

Next workout:
    -Sunday, August 7
    Goals:
    -Squats: 210x5x3
    -Press: 92.5lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 215lbsx5x1, or 210x5x1, if past improper form has set me back

Default Tuesday, August 9th workout

I missed training Sunday due to watching the Olympics and being lazy. I got back on the stick today.

-Bodyweight: 214.8 lbs
    -C2 Rower: 3:00
    -Squats: 210lbsx5x3
    -Press: 92.5lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 215x5

Training notes:
    -I was afraid my missed session might have stagnated my progress, but no such problem. Squats were difficult, but the other lifts were quite manageable.
    -Last session, my deadlift suffered from form problems, and (after the fact) I learned from reading old Ask Rip articles that I had been performing my deadlift sets with too many breaks (i.e.: not really performing sets of 5). Thankfully, keeping proper form and going through my workset without breaking did not hurt my performance.
    -I've been taking 5g of creatine since Friday of last week. I'm not sure if the relative ease I enjoyed this workout was due to that, but it did not hurt.

Non-training notes:
    -I haven't mentioned it before, but I have had ulcerative colitis for the last 15 yeas. Fortunately, my case is quite mild, though it can cause discomfort and be inconvenient at times. Since I've been training, my episodes of disease have almost vanished.
    -Diet: improving as my life settles down. More regular meals; less fast food and sugary treats.

Next workout: Thursday, August 11
    Goals:
    -Squat: 212.5lbsx5x3
    -Bench Press: 120lbsx5x3
    -Power Clean: 115x3x5
    -Chinups: 100lbsx12x3

Default Thursday, August 11

starting strength coach development program
    Training this evening:

Bodyweight: 215.8 lbs
    C2 Rower: 3:00
    Squat: 212.5lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 120lbsx5x3
    Power Clean: 115lbsx3x5
    Assisted Chinups: 100lbsx12x3

Training notes:
    -The squat was difficult in the second work set, mainly (I think) because of my loose attention to form. I allowed my chest to drop as I came out of the hole, making those reps a real struggle. When I focused on getting my back into extension, pushing my knees out, not watching myself in the dang mirror in my gym, and preventing my knees from sliding forward, I rebounded very nicely.
    -During the second squat set, I suppose I tried to help lift the bar on the hard reps by rotating my elbows downward and pushing up. I don't think it succeeded in lifting the bar, but it did give me some immediate bicep and elbow soreness, which persisted throughout the training (though it did not reduce my capacity for weight).
    -Bench presses felt good, almost like OHP did a few weeks ago--little straining; just smooth, controlled movements throughout
    -Power clean: I wasn't exploding out of the deadlift like I should during worksets. Every time I tried to leap as hard as I could, I had no trouble racking the bar on my shoulders. I must remember that cue in the future.
    -Today's workout was, generally, slightly easier than the last several. Maybe creatine supplementation is working?

Non-training notes:
    -Diet: I read in Mean Ol' Mister Gravity today (as I was resting from work sets) to limit my diet to milk, meat, eggs, fruits, and vegetables. Tomorrow, I'm going to start doing that, in hopes to increased my strength more rapidly.
    -Physique: my wife commented today that my traps and shoulders are more defined, and my quads are bigger than before training. She liked what she saw--a good motivation to continue.

Next training: August 13th
    Goals:
    -Squat:215lbsx5x3
    -Press: 95lbsx5x3
    -Deadlift: 220lbsx5x1
    Last edited by Eagle4Christ; 08-12-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added C2 Rower info

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast