starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting strong in Brazil

Default Getting strong in Brazil

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

My name is Victor (as my user name shows) and I'm a Brazilian guy that has just began doing Starting Strength. I'm not a total novice but I'm far from getting as strong as I want to. I already 'know' (meaning the form is not terrible) how to do the basic lifts but I never really did the program as it is. So I decided to stop the bs and do the program for once.

I'm a 21 y.o., 6' guy walking around with 198 lb.

The units in Brazil are all international, but I'll post the weights already converted to lb, as I see it fits better in this forum.

Current Stats for the sets/reps in SS:
    Squat: 205
    Press: 121
    Bench: don't do it for several months, so I don't know it yet
    Power Clean: 117
    Deadlift: 205
    Chins: 7,7,5,2 (body weight)

You can see that my squat is the same as my deadlift and I think it's because my hips are all beaten up by the end of the workout, hindering me from progressing the lift. That's it for now. I'll later post some videos of me doing the lifts so I can get some judgement of yours .

Welcome to the forum, Victor!

You say you 'know' how to do the lifts, but if squatting beats up your 21 year old hips, you do want to have your form looked at - when you post those videos in the technique subforum you may get a lot of useful advice. Not to judge, but to help Take the videos from different angles for best results.
    Last edited by peez; 10-21-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it.

So, today was Workout B and it went like that:

- Squat:fail with 205 lb
    I had posted a form check of my last workout in the Technique section last week and turns out it was too high. I tried to reload the weight (205) and hit proper depth, but I failed to finish the last set and did only 4 reps. For that, I will do a small de-load next session.

- Bench press: 108lb
    I had not done a bench press for a very long time and was surprised how bad I am at it, even worse than my Press, and I don't cheat on the latter.

- Power clean: 117 lb
    I feel I'll have to stay one more workout with this weight before progressing.

- Chins: 7,6,5,3 with bw = 201lb

That's it for now. I'll later include a footage of my second set on the squat

bem vindo!

there's tons of great advice here. Get the Book, Read the Book, and enjoy your Gainzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Delegrego View Post
    Squat video
    You are off balance because you are not looking down. Your stance seems narrow, try shoulder width or even a little more and see if that gets you that depth you need. Also, think about sitting back.

Hello again, this time I'm posting 2 workouts:

Workout A:
    Squat: 196
    The squat form was not much better than the one in the video above, I had not read @Murelli 's queue at the time.

Press: 121
    It felt easy.

Deadlift: 205
    I did not want to up the weight so I did the same as before, but it felt quite easy this time so I'm going to add weight again to this lift

Chins: 8,6,5,3 (bw=199)

Workout B:
    Squat: 200
    This time I think my form was much better, as I was not losing stability at the bottom, and I was finally able to reach depth because of my wider stance. This extra depth was probably what caused it to be more difficult than I expected and my last set was not so good. I'm including it at the end of this post. From my perspective the first rep was OK while the others not so much, so I'm going to repeat this weight next time.

Bench: 117
    Felt easy and it should feel so as I don't have a spotter. Let's see if next workout I can get it past my Press.

Power Clean:117
    I'll try to add 2 more kg on this lift next time

Chins: 8,6,5,3 (bw=200)

I really appreciate all the comments I got on this tread.

Here's my last set of squats filmed from a terrible position (sorry for that):

Last edited by Victor Delegrego; 10-31-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Great improvement. If you look down, to a point about 0,9-1,2m in front of you it's going to get better, and maybe easier. Your back angle is too vertical, and this might fix it.

Keep going.

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, I think that my biggest problem is I raise my head when I'm going up.
    Last edited by Victor Delegrego; 10-31-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast