starting strength gym
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Putting back together the broken pieces

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Right on, man. When something really hurts, especially for a long time, all you want is for it to stop. That's it. I'm glad you (hopefully) found a solution. Severe hip pain effects everything you do in and out of the gym. Good luck!
    Thanks, man! Time will tell, but I'm kinda hopeful now.

Poorly recovered today. I missed my light day yesterday due to bad sleep and I was in the emergency room for chest pain and asthma. But today I felt better so I decided to give my Friday squat workout a try today. Probably not the best idea, but it didn't go terribly. Still had some soreness leftover from Monday's workout. Gonna do my deadlift and bench workout tomorrow.

February 16

Squat: 290x5; 260x5x2 (had to take the back off sets because of some hip pain and muscle soreness)
    Dumbbell bicep curls: 25x10x5 (glad I can do these now since my thumbs-around squat grip means no more elbow pain)

Here's my last set of today:

Ugh I know the asthma feels. Did they have you on an albuterol nebulizer? That stuff gets me super hyped up.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Ugh I know the asthma feels. Did they have you on an albuterol nebulizer? That stuff gets me super hyped up.
    Yep, with atrovent. Nebulizers don't get me hyped and jittery, but using my inhaler does. I wonder if it's the difference in dosage or dosage over time?

I tried to get them to give me a nebulizer to take home, but apparently I've gotta see my regular doc for that. After the round of treatment, I slept like the dead. Felt great.

Both get me hyped up and jittery. Glad you were able to go right to sleep after

Thanks, Nanette!

SoCal rain made me feel so unmotivated today. Anterior left shoulder pain caused me to drop a set from my bench press. I think my wrist was going too far into flexion and as a result, my elbow was flaring out to compensate, hence the pain. I put wrist wraps on my last set and it felt better, but it was already hurting too much to do another.

February 17

Bench: 235x5x4
    Deadlift: 405x3

Had some lumbar rounding in my deadlift and a little overextension at the top of my first rep. Still getting onto my heels a little.

My schedule this week is fucked because I am shooting a wedding in Austin--leaving Thursday and returning next Sunday. Whenever I shoot weddings, especially ones that require travel, I am fried for a few days after the wedding. Last week I only squatted twice due to my ER visit, so this week I decided to squat today and Tuesday to make sure I'm fresh for being on my feet for 12 hours on the weekend.

February 19

Squat: 295x5x3
    Dumbbell bicep curls: 35x8x5

This week is almost a wash since I'll be leaving Thursday and won't make it back into the gym until next Monday, and by then I'll be very tired from travel and work. So my plan is to fit a crap load of intensity and volume in before I leave.

February 20

Bench: 275x3x3; 265x3

First set of bench flew up fast--I could've done 5. My left anterior shoulder pain came back, and my spotter said I was flaring my elbows both during my descent and ascent. I dropped the weight for my fourth set and really kept my shoulders "back and down" in my head, and I touched the bar a little lower on my chest. It seemed to help a bit.

On Wednesday, I'm going to bench 215 for 3-4 sets of 8 and really work on this elbow flaring issue.

Taking tomorrow off the gym, but Wednesday I plan to squat 300x5x3 (which should be doable barring any hip pain because I seem to be able to squat every 3 days right now), deadlift 375x5 (I don't want to have low back fatigue while photographing the wedding rehearsal) and bench.

Another meh training day. Stress is at an all time high. I've woken up in the middle of the night (around 4 a.m.) for the past 3 nights, and I'd be up for an hour or so before I can fall back asleep. I don't look at my phone, read, etc. I just stare at the ceiling.

February 22

Squat: 300x3; 275x2
    Bench: 215x8x3

Squats had a combination of some medium level pain and just lack of strength from fatigue. My brain said yes, but my body said NOPE. I deloaded to 275 from my scheduled 300x5x3 just to get some volume in, but after the second rep I could tell that my legs were about to give out. Hell, even bench felt kinda hard today. 215 felt like 250. I skipped deadlifts because of all this.

I'm packing my lifting gear for Austin and I'm going to do a light/medium workout on Friday before shooting a wedding the following day.

starting strength coach development program
    Welp, I spent the past four days eating a lot, drinking a lot, walking all over Austin and then photographing a wedding, which is much harder on the body than it sounds. I was sore most of Saturday night and all of Sunday, so I approached today with the plan of doing 300x5x3, but with the backup plan of doing 245x5x3 if I felt sore and shitty.

When I started warm-ups, I felt fucking great. I was surprised given my time off and walking several miles and drinking and all that, so I decided to take more than what I planned, but not too much. I jumped to 305. I kept raising my chest during the first set because the bar was rolling up my back big time--I put my thumbs over the bar today since my elbow felt ok. I might switch back.

February 27

Squat: 305x5x3
    Bench: 265x5; 230x5x2
    Deadlift: 345x3x5

I fucked up on bench and was supposed to do 260x5. My top set on bench felt VERY hard and I almost didn't get my last rep--I really had to grind it out. Shoulder pain is kinda gone for now. I wanted to do 405x5 on deadlift, but just wasn't feeling it during warmups, so I decided to get some volume in and did five triples.

Didn't record bench or DL.

Last edited by marcf; 02-27-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast