starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting the journey...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Solid session this morning. DLs felt much better after spending time on technique earlier in the week. Need to get some 0.5kg and 1.0kg weights asap though. Novice advice to anyone contemplating starting the programme. Make sure your gym has access to the smaller weights. You will need them soon enough! I'm a week in and while making decent progress if I don't get these soon I will begin to stall. Shopping this weekend!

Squats: 110kg x 5 x 3
    Bench: 82.5kg x 5 x 3
    Deadlift: 110kg x 5 x 1 (preceded by 80kg x 5 x 2 to get technique sorted)

Looking good, Fraser!

Micro loading is also an excellent advice for bench and OHP. I bought calibrated 0,25, 0,5 and 1 kg plates from Eleiko. Mucho expensive, but they'll never wear out, so I went for it and is really happy with them!

Good session last night. Made some decent step ups in weight, more importantly the lifts are feeling "tighter" (if that makes sense...)

Squats: 120kg x 5 x 3
    Press: 60kg x 5 x 3 (needed to rack last set at 3 and finish last 2 after)
    Deadlift: 120kg x 5 x 1

Had to get in the right headspace for the DL but once I got the first one up it was good.

Have ordered some smaller plates. Hope they arrive soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifted last night. Felt good across the board although absolutely shattered at the end. Not sure if rest, nutrition, increase in weights, volume of training (from standing start weight wise) or number of sessions. Probably a combination of all.

Squats: 130kg x 5 x 3 - not sure I'm going deep enough. Unlikely given jump on weight. Sending some file over to @derihuges

Bench: 82.5kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift: 122.5kg x 5 x 1

Went back to school last night...

Fired up to increase my lifts but felt my squat wasn't quite right. Did a FaceTime session with @DeriHughes who pretty much said that my squat wasn't really a squat, more of a semi dip! Suffice to say it's a significant reduction in weight, focus on more depth and build from there.

Novice tip #2, after #1 of getting some fractional plates: get the more complex lifts analysed by someone proficient ASAP and be prepared to be properly deconstructed...

At least this happened after two weeks and not six months.

Cheers!

Good on you for getting a pair of solid eyes on your form. It can really do wonders!

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Good on you for getting a pair of solid eyes on your form. It can really do wonders!

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the support and encouragement @Bergstedt. Much appreciated. It's great being part of a community like this to share ideas and learn from the experience of others.

You'll get there mate. Nailing down form in these early days is critical. The weight on the bar will get back up there fast enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Another session last night focused on form. Dropped weights considerably on squat, while still a lot to work on, it's definitely an improvement.

Numbers:

Squat: 85 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 85 x 5 x 3
    Deadlifts: 110x5x3

Still focused on nailing the DL properly. Figured given focus is form it makes sense to sort that generally across these two key lifts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast