starting strength gym
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean's Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    BW this morning 193

Fucking exhausted today. Didn't want to be a pussy.

Squat 270 3x5
    Press 135 x5, 135x4, 135x3
    Deadlift (too soon): 325 x3

I have a few days off due to work so I'll hopefully come back strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar boat nearing end of my LP with mostly similar weights as you and longing for the days of ez gainz. Subbing your log. Keep it up. I'm gonna try to catch that deadlift, I'm at like 245, it's a bit behind.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sean Kibler; 03-28-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibler View Post
    I'm in a similar boat nearing end of my LP with mostly similar weights as you and longing for the days of ez gainz. Subbing your log. Keep it up. I'm gonna try to catch that deadlift, I'm at like 245, it's a bit behind.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    It's been a fun ride and really stoked to see this much progress after wasting years fooling around in the gym. I'm not giving up just yet but it does feel like it's slowing down. I'm going to microload the press in smaller increments than 2.5 which is probably appropriate and do more volume sets on bench during the reset/microload.

My original goals were pretty weak and now I'm looking forward to a 4/3/2/1 plate stack for deadlift/squat/bench/press. I think press is clearly on the way and deadlift/squat will just take time. I think the bench is going to take the most time/effort since I'm pretty slim up top.

Diet was consistently 3500 calories after making 190 but I've stayed around 190 for a couple weeks so been trying to up the food a little. I normally get about 7 hours sleep which isn't enough but I'm managing. Maybe increased calories will help for the last bit of LP before moving to the advanced novice stage. I'll see what my SSC says in a week.

Couple things I've been tracking. Looks like part of the problem is my sleep has been lacking making me feel like I'm fatigued most days. I've been having trouble sleeping after really intense workouts.

Brought all my gear to work so I could try and sneak a workout in. Walked to the gym and the two racks had just been taken. Fail. Guess I'll try and fit the workout in tomorrow morning.

Default Sean's Novice Log

Morning BW 194.8

Squat 275 3x5
    Tried bench but shoulder wasnt feeling it.
    Deadlift 325 1x5 felt pretty good

Came back to bench
    170 3x5
    160 3x5

Next time I'll shoot for 175 and a back off set. Hoping it isn't too much volume since most are one heavy set plus back off volume

The wife isn't too happy about the increased weight because of the snoring so I'm going to try and clean up my diet and keep it around 3000 calories and slow bulk to see if I can shave off some fat while increasing the weight
    220P
    320C
    100F

I might move into a advanced novice routine because I'm just not recovering like I was previously. Work stress, lack of quality sleep, and weights

Last edited by pip; 04-01-2017 at 05:34 PM.

BW 195 20% BF using Navy method

Rower HIIT session
    20s on 1:40 off 7 rounds

Trying to add a couple days of rowing in to cut the fat a bit. I've had issues with sleep before when I was 180# with 20%+ BF

After much reading and searching on the forum I'm going to continue progress on the LP for now. I'm worried about going to 335# DL because I had some DOMs that lasted a little over 24hrs this last session. Feeling beat up

Morning BW 193.8

Had a bad workout this afternoon. Will try and see if I can muster some strength for bench/deads this evening.

Squat 280 x 5, x4 backoff set 265 x 5.

I failed the last rep of my second set. My hip drive was off and I had immense pain in my left elbow tendon. I think it is my arm/hand position rotating out (thumb away from my head). I had to take a second because it was throbbing pain. I did the backoff set and then took some advil. No way I was going to even get the bar out of the rack for bench and wasn't sure pulling was a good idea either.

1st set

2nd set

Think this is my issue with the my elbow. I typically reposition my hands after getting under the bar. Fail.

Last edited by pip; 04-04-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Morning BW 194.3 and got 7.5 hours of sleep which felt incredible

Came back to bench and deads last night

Bench 180
    Dead 335

335 pulled easy with a focus on pushing the floor and working on a more controlled drop of the weight from the top instead of a slow lowering of the weight which was causing me to round a bit. No DOMs this morning which is also good news.

I'm taking some time off to help the elbow and will meet Tom (SSC) this Sunday to continue working on squat/deadlift form

Last edited by pip; 04-05-2017 at 10:45 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    BW 194.8
    Squat 280 2x5, 1x4
    OHP 135 3x5, 115x8

Deadlift 315x4, wasn't feeling strong today and wasn't willing to risk a back that has been giving me trouble the past day or two.

I think this is reset the squat to 90% territory with two failed days of 280 and I'll try DL again at 315 in a few days and continue on.

Last edited by pip; 04-08-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast