starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #StartingOver

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    6/23/2017

Squat 305 3x5
    Definately got a better handle on these. Got my stance right, pushed my ass back and kept my back tight. Didn't blow every capillary in my head either lol
    Squat 6/22 - 305 3x5 - YouTube

Press 165 5/4/5
    These weren't the prettiest, but I've come to expect this. My jumps need to be lower but in the absence of microplates I just push through the first 3x5, recover, and can usually hit it the next time. Stupid but working for now.

Not on YT yet, I'll try and add later

Deadlift 325 1x5
    Still feeling good. Back is set nice. Speed off the floor is getting decent too. Hoping this means I'm doing something right and can look forward to more progress.
    Deadlift 6/23 - 325 1x5 - YouTube

6/25/2017

Squat - 310 3x5
    I think I'm going to repeat these Tuesday... while they weren't "ugly" some of the reps in sets 1 and 2 were sort of marginal. I can get deeper. Set 3 I thought looked OK.

Bench - 225 3x5
    Not much to say here... I'm happy with these...

Deadlift - 330 1x5
    Trying to find the middle ground between setting my back and starting the pull where I'm confident in my set up. Trying to reduce the time it takes for me to "know" I'm good so I can have more in the tank by the 5th.

NOTES:
    So I'm gonna do an experiment that I think most will scoff at. I'm gonna start doing some LISS cardio in the morning per Jordan's TBAB "fluffy novice/intermediate". I'm not changing my nutrition, still going to keep that around 3000 cals/day, but adding in 30 minutes 5-6 days/week as soon as I get up will hopefully improve my composition a bit. I've put on 15 pounds, in the last couple months, which is good, but I'm at about 27% BF best guess using the navy method. I'd like to keep my lifts getting stronger, but see if I can't improve that percentage down closer to 20%. If it starts to interfere I'll knock it off and save it for later, but at the moment I think I can confidently add it without impairing recovery.

Took some (rough) measurements so I can update in a month, I'll see if the wife can help me get more accurate ones tonight, and I'll update.

Weight - 225
    Neck - 16.5
    Waist - 41
    Chest - 44?

6/27/2017

Squat 310 3X5
    Got moar deeper even though the first rep here kinda sucked in comparison...

Press 165 3x5
    The last rep of the first set felt so heavy I started wondering if I should make these 5x3... but I stuck it out and got all 3 sets... micro plates are in the mail, hopefully this won't be an issue going forward...

Deadlift 335 1x5
    As the weight is climbing I need to set harder... a few times here I kick the bar forward with my shin... I'll have to pay more attention to it next time...

UPDATED MEASUREMENTS from 6/26... I will update these again around July 10th and 24th...
    Neck - 17
    Waist - 41
    Chest - 44
    Thigh - 26
    Weight - 225.3

6/30/2017

Squats - 315 (sorta)
    EHHHHHH I'm not a fan...

Bench - 230x5x3
    Don't think I got enough air back in on the last one which is why it was slow, other than that, these felt fantastic...

Deadlift - 340 (sorta)
    So 340 is what killed me last time, and here I can see my back start to lose tightness on the last 2... as much as I don't want to I'm gonna repeat Sunday...

Been away from a PC for a while so here is what happened since the beginning of July...

7/2/2017

Squat 320x5x3
    Press 167x5/4/5
    Deadlift 340x5x1

7/4/2017

Squat 325x5x3
    Bench 235x5x3
    Deadlift 345x5x1

7/7/2017

Squat 330x5x3
    Press 167.5x4/5/5
    Deadlift 350x5x1

7/9/2017

Squat 335x5/4/0 (back off set @ 315x5x1)
    Bench 240x5x3
    Deadlift 355x5x1

So the squat failed in an epic fashion, and the discussion about moving to advanced novice happened. Also, apparently it was no bueno that I was deadlifting 3x/week and should have cut volume back some time ago. Per the advice of Adam Franklin I'm going to probably do a 10% reduction on the squat and give it a light day on Sunday. Bench and press will continue as is for now, moving in 2.5lb increments. Deadlift will now go every other workout until either it or the squat stalls. I will either add in chins, rows, or start learning the clean on my non-deadlift day.

7/11/2017

Slight change of plans (slight). I am working with moorefoodnow on here for programming going forward. The path he has taken is very much like the path I am trying to go down now. He is in need of coaching/programming experience and I am in need of insight and training experience, everyone wins.

I'm starting the cleans today, hang cleans at first and then I'll start putting them together once I get my dots connected. Also gonna toss in some chins since they will be light. Update either tonight/tomorrow morning.

7/11/2017

Squat - 315x5x3
    So I'm going back and watching some of Thrall's squat videos to try and fix some of the issues I'm seeing here. My heels are coming up a touch and my knees are popping forward at the bottom. I'm either not getting my ass back or I'm relaxing at the bottom and not noticing it. I did do a side angle for the first set to see if the bar path is straight but I'm not posting it here.

Press - 167.5x5x3
    While I'm totally psyched that I not only got all of these but got them seemingly easily, I am still struggling to bring my hips BACK after I push them out. I will have to figure this out eventually. Moving the belt up higher I think may have helped as well, as I have never quite figured out how to use it with the press. Having it higher up under my ribs definitely seemed to help me brace harder.

Hang Cleans - 95xA total mess lol
    If you lurk and read this log try not to hurt yourself laughing. Obviously this is my first real time attempting to learn the clean and I stuck to some bastard version of a "hang clean" though most of the time it's me just trying to figure out the jump/catch. Like a total dillweed I forgot these are supposed to be 3's NOT 5's so that is unintentional. Somewhere along the line I drilled my collar bone pretty good... nothing an ice pack won't fix.

7/14/2017
    Squat - 320 5,5,4
    -my own damn fault. Hubris and idiocy, used TUBOW through the work set, distracted me, slowed me down, fucked my last rep.

Bench - 245 4,5,4
    -again, own damn fault. Distracted, didn't wait long enough before the first set and didn't have enough gas to get the last. Last set/last rep stalled going up and I let it go under the J-hook, doomed me.

Hang Cleans - 115x3x5
    -these went ok, my catch got a bit better towards the end. Still learning.

7/16/2017 Light Day
    Squat - 255x5x2
    -not too bad. Knees looked better, went a little too deep and had some lumbar rounding. Need to get my whole back tighter.

Press - 170 5,5,3
    -last set fell apart. First rep dipped down but I shoved it up anyway, last I completely missed with my hips and couldn't get it. Suckfest.

Deadlift - 360x5x1
    -high point of my day. I was honestly nervous that this was gonna go awry on me. Belt was a bit too high and tight, made for some distractions but other than that they felt pretty good. Gotta work on making my lockout faster though.

7/18/2017

Squat 320x5x3
    -focused a bit more on getting my upper back super tight in the setup. Unracking 320 felt surprisingly light... maybe I did something right. I think I did ok staying in my hips, last set I did go a bit forward and couldn't resist the urge to lift my chest on the last rep. My brain is conspiring against me.

Bench 245 5,4,4
    -Goddamnit. Goddamnit. First set went SO WELL I thought it would be a sure thing. Second started off crummy and ended poorly. Third started off better than 2 but damned if the last didn't stall out about 1/3 of the way up. I fought for what felt like forever but just couldn't get it.

Hang Cleans 120x3x5
    -I'm interested to hear back on what Matt thinks of these. To my untrained uncoordinated ass I thought they were pretty decent. I'm drilling my collar bone less, doing a better job of getting into the "squat" part of the catch, and though my elbows are still a little slow to get up I think they're getting better.

Chins 6,4,3
    -I suck at chins. That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    7/20/2017

Not a training day, just adding that I am registered for my first (sorta) Strongman comp coming up Sept 9th...

Kilos For Cancer 3 is doing a 4-event strongman comp at the Buffalo Fitness Expo to help raise money for the Roswell Institute, I will be in the novice class (assuming I can stay under 230lbs) and be going after a 160lb axle clean/press, 150lb sandbag carry for 60', 180lb stone over bar for reps, and a car deadlift for reps. Psyched, nervous, and ready to hit training harder than ever.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast