starting strength gym
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6000 calories @ 6ft 6

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Regarding sodium, I'm pretty sure I heard Jordan mention on one of his podcasts that ~3500 mg is a good number to hit. If you sweat out a lot of water, you may need more.

Don't worry about daily weight fluctuations. Keep track of your weight and calories daily, and then average the numbers over the course of 1 week. Week to week progress is your goal.

BW:
    104.6kg

Weight (kg) x Sets x Reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 3
    75 x 1 x 3
    85 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> recorded sets 2 and 3. Noticed excessive lumbar flexion as I approached the hole on set 2. Improved it on set 3, but was still present. I think I'm hyperextending my lumbar before I descend and it returns to a normal extended spine in the hole, but is perceived as butt wink. I also forgot to think about shoving my chest up out of the hole. I'm keeping my chest pretty vertical for the first half of the movement then bending over for the 2nd half (after my knees stay put). I'll try to bend over at the start of the movement, instead of breaking it into 2 separate movements. I noticed my knees would cave in as I approached the hole and my stance looked a little wide. I'll go a bit narrower on Friday, but it's a fine line as I have some hip/groin issues from rugby and doing LBBS incorrectly. Will post form check tomorrow as it's pretty late here.

Form check -> High bar form check

Bench:
    20 x 1 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    42.5 x 1 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 3
    67.5 x 1 x 2
    80 x 3 x 5

I changed up my warm up progression. Instead of 20 x 2 x 5, I did 20 for my first set and 30 for my second. Didnt really notice a difference but I might stick with it.

Form notes -> felt pretty easy, though the last rep was a bigger struggle than I thought it would be. My spotter is not training with me for the next few weeks and I'm used to him unracking the weight with me so I felt a little bit weaker than I should have, but the difference was negligible. I'm starting to get the hang of not digging my head into the bench. I'm slightly resting it on the bench so that it's barely touching it. I got a better leg drive than friday's session, so the weight was flying up a lot quicker. Although, there wasn't much friction between my shirt and the bench so I slid up on the bench on the 3rd rep of my 2nd set. I got a little nervous after this, forgot to concentrate on my head and ended up digging my head into the bench on my 4th rep. I'm assuming just more time spent under the bar will help this become second nature.

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    72.5 x 1 x 3
    85 x 1 x 3
    97.5 x 1 x 2
    110 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> I'll post a form check tomorrow. I was kicking the bar forward after squeezing my chest up. Im pretty sure this was a combination of me lowering my hips, the bar being too close to my shins and the weight being really light so the bar was being lifted off of the ground before I had fully squeezed my chest up. My anatomical kyphosis is still as ugly as ever. My lumbar extension seemed decent.

Form check -> Deadlift form check

Chins:
    BW x 7
    BW x 6.5 (got half way up my 7th rep)
    BW x 6

Form notes -> felt fine. Took too short of a rest between my 1st and 2nd set. I was in a big rush today so I was taking 5-6 mins max of a rest between squat, bench and chin sets.

From Friday, I'm going to add 2.5kg/workout for my squat and alternate between chins and dumbbell rows.

Nutrition:
    Protein -> 339g
    Carbs -> 786g
    Fats -> 73g
    Calories -> 5,158cals
    Macros -> 26/61/13 (P/C/F)
    Positives -> got another 3 meals in, got a lot of protein (probably far too much), finally had vegetables (150g of broccoli), got over 3500 cals, got a decent amount of fibre
    Negatives -> way too much carbs and protein, calories are too high, macros are off, still not enough fat, not enough salt, not enough vegetables

I'll start adding some peanut butter into my oatmeal in the morning to try to bring up my fat. Full fat milk is way too expensive here and my roommate is allergic to it so I have to stick with either 2% milk or low fat protein milk.

I'll rest up over the next 2 days, get at least 300g of protein, more veg and recover for Friday's session.
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-17-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejackson View Post
    What are you eating that allows you to hit these Macro numbers? I can't hit 4kcal without floating between 150-180g of fat!
    I eat a lot of carbs:
    100g of oatmeal
    450g of pasta (spread out over 2 meals)
    That gives me >400g of carbs by themselves.
    I drink a lot of milk as well. It's low fat but has a shit load of carbs (especially sugars) so the calories come easy from that.
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-16-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Regarding sodium, I'm pretty sure I heard Jordan mention on one of his podcasts that ~3500 mg is a good number to hit. If you sweat out a lot of water, you may need more.

Don't worry about daily weight fluctuations. Keep track of your weight and calories daily, and then average the numbers over the course of 1 week. Week to week progress is your goal.
    Yeah I've heard that figure before. I'm not too worried about salt for the time being. When I begin to binge on the junkfood, I'll go way in excess of 3500mgs.

Yeah I get you. This is my first time tracking everything precisely on a day to day basis so it was my first time noticing my bodyweight unexpectedly fluctuate so I was a bit taken aback. Thanks for the advice.

BW:
    105.6kg

Nutrition:
    Protein -> 256g
    Carbs -> 637g
    Fats -> 61g
    Calories -> 4129cals
    Macros -> 25/62/13 (P/C/F)
    Positives -> got another 3 meals in, got more veg (180g of broccoli), hit at least 3500cals, got below 5000cals, more salt (1.445g)
    Negatives -> still not enough fat, not enough protein (well, less protein than yesterday), not enough veg, too much sugar, macros are off, I couldn't accurately log what my parents made for dinner so the amount of fat should be up by a few grams.

The only exercise I did today was a 30 min walk with my dog.

My sleep was interrupted last night so I got 3 hours, woke up, then got another 7 hours which was frustrating. I know people on here get far less sleep with more stressful lives so I can't complain too much.

I'm actually starting to feel full again. My stomach and chest have bloated up nicely (which probably contributed to the 1kg increase in bodyweight). I have more energy. I feel good in general that I'm not eating any junkfood.

Will try to update tomorrow. Starting next week, I'll probably just update my bodyweight and get a rough estimate of how much protein and fat I'm taking in.

Got home late last night so I'm only logging yesterday's log now.

BW:
    105.8kg

Nutrition:
    I had a family meal yesterday which took up way too much time. I couldnt track the macros from the meal but I was able to track breakfast and dinner. I didnt eat enough in those 2 meals and definitely didnt eat enough for that meal.
    I got at least 200g of protein and 3500 cals. Still too low. I have been getting a lot of sleep (although it's been mainly interrupted sleep) but hopefully I'll be fully rested for my session today.

Will update tonight.

BW:
    106.8kg

Squats:
    40 x 2 x 5
    57.5 x 1 x 3
    67.5 x 1 x 3
    77.5 x 1 x 2
    87.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> narrowed my stance. Felt decent

OHP:
    20 x 2 x 5
    27.5 x 1 x 3
    32.5 x 1 x 3
    37.5 x 1 x 2
    42.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> was in a rush again so I only took 5 min rest between sets. Last rep of 2nd set was a bit slow. Other than that, the reps felt fine

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    75 x 1 x 3
    87.5 x 1 x 3
    100 x 1 x 2
    115 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> technique didnt break. Felt a bit harder than I expected, probably since I havent deadlifted over 130kg since the end of February (which is depressing just thinking about it)

Chins:
    BW x 3 x 7

Form notes -> I was able to get a really good tempo to elicit a good stretch reflex so it felt pretty easy. Im starting to adapt to contracting my biceps hard on each rep, so it's becoming easier

Nutrition:
    Protein -> 272g
    Carbs -> 647g
    Fats -> 43g
    Calories -> 4080cals
    Macros -> 26/64/10 (P/C/F)
    Positives -> more calories than yesterday, more protein than yesterday
    Negatives -> close to no fat, macros still off, should probably aim for 4500 cals from until Tuesday, where I'll start my junkfood binge

Forgot to log yesterday's nutrition

BW:
    106.5kg

Nutrition:
    My roommate made lasagna and I (obviously) didnt bother weighing out the ingredients, dividing the portions correctly and logging it to myfitnesspal etc so I just did a quick search on MFP for lasagna and picked the most accurate one. So the macros, calories, protein etc aren't accurate for yesterday

Protein -> 227g
    Carbs -> 513g
    Fats -> 69g
    Calories -> 3853
    Macros -> 26/57/17 (P/C/F)

Positives -> nothing really
    Negatives -> low calories, low protein and fat, bad macros

Forgot to log yesterday.

BW:
    107.3kg

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    52.5 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 3
    77.5 x 1 x 3
    90 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt good. I'm cutting depth really close and one of my reps was a good 1/2 inch high. I'll make sure to be more consistent with my depth on Tuesday.

Bench:
    20 x 1 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    52.5 x 1 x 3
    62.5 x 1 x 3
    72.5 x 1 x 2
    82.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> The bar tilted significantly on my left side. I fixed it for my last set. My last rep was slow. The other sets felt fine. I had a spotter to unrack the weight which made it a lot easier. I'm starting to adapt to not digging my head into the bench, I didnt even think about it for a few reps so hopefully it'll be second nature soon. I have 0.5kg plates so my weight jumps will be alternating between 1kg and 1.5kg.

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    80 x 1 x 3
    92.5 x 1 x 3
    105 x 1 x 2
    120 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> felt good. Lost a little bit of lumbar extension on my fourth rep and lost a little bit more on my last rep, but nothing major. When I squeeze my chest up, the bar isn't being lifted off of the floor, as the weight is becoming a little heavier. I'll drop the progression to 2.5kg per session.

Chins:
    BW x 7
    BW x 6

Form notes -> wasn't feeling it today. Decided to call it a day after my second set.

Nutrition:
    I'm going to stop tracking from now on.
    My breakfast and lunch consistently give me ~3500cals, the dinner that I/my roommates make is at least 1000cals. I sometimes have a small enough meal at night if I have enough time, which gives me another 1000cals.
    I started adding 80g of peanut butter to my oatmeal every morning which really increased my fat intake.
    After Tuesday, I'll slowly start adding in junkfood. I haven't had any junkfood for about 2 weeks (I rarely eat junkfood anyway as it messes with my mood) so I'll see how it affects my mood and just general feeling. I'll get a large pizza on Thursday just to get started and maybe some McDonald's on Monday (I'm going for a squat PR next Tuesday so I need my leverages to be as favourable as possible).
    I'll try to consistently stay above 5000 cals but not overdo it with the junkfood. When I start stalling or struggling pretty bad in 6 or so weeks, I'll up my calories to 6000cals everyday.

I'm putting on weight pretty quickly at the moment (weighed in at 108.0kg this morning). If ~4k cals per day causes me to put on almost 4kg in 10 days, I cant wait to see what weight I'll get to with 6000 cals. I'm still pretty skinny fat at the moment so, more than likely, I'll end up getting fat but somewhat strong (for a novice).
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-22-2017 at 06:50 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    From yesterday

BW:
    108kg

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast