starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6000 calories @ 6ft 6

Default 6000 calories @ 6ft 6

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Misleading title as I'm 6ft 5.5 and won't be eating 6000 calories per day.

Background:
    Age -> 20
    Height -> 6ft 5.5
    Weight -> 107kg
    Training history -> play rugby, have run SS numerous times but never made it past week 6 due to injuries from rugby, excessive college work etc - basically me being a pussy.

I have a solid 15 weeks of free time (bar a 9 to 5 job) to run SS, beginning in a couple of weeks. I'll be training on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday as it allows me to maximise my sleep. I'll be eating 6000 calories on 5 days of the week and ~5000 calories for the other 2 days to help recovery and give me enough fuel to train. Hopefully, I'll hit a bodyweight of 120kg (not concerned with fat gain) by the end of the 15 weeks. I'm aiming for a 140kg squat, 105kg bench and 170-180kg deadlift for the sets and reps outlined in the programme at the end of this LP, if not higher.

I'll have to squat high bar due to an injury to my shoulder and will add in dumbbell rows as they have helped ease the pain with my shoulder.

I'll use this log to track my nutrition and lifting sessions so it will be updated daily, starting next Friday when college finishes.

I just came home from the gym after my exam this morning. I did a high volume session as I won't be hitting the gym for 9 days:
    Squat -> 87.5kg x3x5
    Press -> 52.5kg x3x5
    Bench -> 80kg x3x5
    Deadlift -> 110kg x1x5
    Chins -> 7,7,6
    Dumbbell rows -> 42.5kg dumbbells

These numbers were light as I haven't been able to go consistently over the last few weeks due to exams, lack of sleep, lack of food etc. I'll probably reduce the weight on everything next Friday when I start training more consistently so I won't stall after a few weeks.

Wont bother tracking nutrition today
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-03-2017 at 07:55 AM.

As you progress you may wish to post some technique videos. Welcome and keep it up.

Finished my exams on Thursday, slept for a solid 15 hours and went to the gym yesterday night.

Bodyweight
    104.8kg

Weight (kg) x Sets x Reps
    HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    50 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 3
    65 x 1 x 2
    75 x 3 x 5

Felt a lot harder than I thought, considering I repped out 87.5kg x 3 x 5 about 8/9 days beforehand. The lack of sleep and food for the last few months (and especially in the last week) took its toll.
    Form notes -> on my last set, I really focused on stopping my knees from sliding forward after 1/3rd of the descent (compared to 1/2-3/4 of the descent) and sitting back which felt a lot easier, got a better stretch reflex and felt like I had a more vertical bar path (had no camera so I don't know). Will post a form check on Sunday.

Bench:
    20 x 2 x 5
    42.5 x 1 x 3
    57.5 x 1 x 3
    67.5 x 1 x 2
    77.5 x 3 x 5
    Form notes -> I started lifting my head off the bench to prevent a neck injury (as I previously dug my head into the bench) and it felt weird. It made unracking the weight a lot harder (especially since I had no spotter). I couldnt get as good of a leg drive. Weight was easy though

Deadlift:
    50 x 1 x 5
    70 x 1 x 3
    80 x 1 x 3
    90 x 1 x 2
    100 x 1 x 5
    Form notes -> focused harder on keeping my lumbar erector muscles contracted (but not hyperextend my lumbar spine) and contracting my glutes out of the starting position while pushing the floor away with my feet.

Chins:
    BW x 3 x 6
    Form notes -> felt easy. Focused on contracting my biceps in every rep, rather than the last few reps as I previously did.

Single arm dumbbell rows:
    17.5 x 1 x 5
    25 x 1 x 3
    30 x 1 x 3
    35 x 1 x 2
    40 x 1 x 5
    Ran out of time so I could only do one set.
    Form notes -> felt difficult as I had just done deadlifts and chins. I felt clicking in my left posterior delt (my messed up shoulder) as I was lowering the weight on my working set, probably due to poor form due to fatigue.

Next session is on Sunday. I'm going to continue to deadlift, chin and row on Sunday, Tuesday and maybe next Friday. When I hit a 125kg deadlift for 1 x 5, I'll switch to deadlifting every other session. I'll continue to row until I get a 55kg x 3 x 5 row (heaviest dumbbell is 55kg) as my shoulder is feeling pretty good after yesterday, despite the fact I was benching, so I'm assuming the rows are helping. When I max out on rows, I'll add in power cleans.

Nutrition:
    I didnt get out of bed until 3pm and I ate some left over junkfood and oatmeal with no proper lunch or dinner so I'm assuming my calories were nowhere near 3000 cal.

I'm planning on abstaining from junkfood for the next 2 weeks and focus solely on building back up to my previous diet of 4-5 meals per day which mainly consisted of pasta, chicken, broccoli and milk. My calories over the last 4ish weeks have ranged from 1000cal/day - 3000 cal/day so if I can get back up to 3500-4000 cal with good, whole, healthy foods before the weight starts getting heavy, I should be good. Adding in the extra 1500-2000 calories worth of junkfood per day should benefit me a lot more when I'm struggling with the lifts, rather than now where everything is easy.
    I'll start tracking everything on MyFitnessPal again.
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-13-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Any reason for doing High bar squats instead of Low bar?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Any reason for doing High bar squats instead of Low bar?
    I'll have to squat high bar due to an injury to my shoulder and will add in dumbbell rows as they have helped ease the pain with my shoulder.
    I'm barely getting into low bar position with my shoulder acting up. A few sets of light oh press and some shoulder dislocates before squatting help. Actually the first warm up sets are the worst then it gets to be almost normal (except for some annoying pain) as I load heavier.

Sorry. I had read that. I just forgot. Keep up the good work.

I'm still pretty fatigued from exams (both mentally and physically). Ended up getting out of bed at 5pm, slept for about 10hrs+ last night and spent the rest chilling out to music.

BW:
    104.4kg (probably down due to getting out of bed really late)

Weight (kg) x sets x reps

HBBS:
    40 x 2 x 5
    55 x 1 x 3
    60 x 1 x 3
    70 x 1 x 2
    80 x 3 x 5

Messed up my warm up progression which was annoying.

Form notes -> I took a video but I didnt realise I was wearing a grey/black t shirt with black shorts so it's not optimal for a form check. I only got one set from the side as well (so as to check depth, knee slide and lumbar flexion) but was under a lot of pressure for time so I didn't bother filming sets 2 and 3. The bar speed was quicker than 75kg but still a bit slow for the last rep of sets 2 and 3. I need to get my knees out and more forward quicker - they stay put at 1/3rd of the descent then begin to slide forward when I hit 1/2 depth then stay put at 3/4 depth. I still got a pretty decent stretch reflex, little to no lumbar flexion (as far as I could tell) and felt more secure and stronger compared to previous HBBS sets I've done in the past.

Press:
    20 x 2 x 5
    27.5 x 1 x 3
    32.5 x 1 x 3
    37.5 x 1 x 2
    42.5 x 3 x 5

Form notes -> felt very easy and strong.

Deadlift:
    60 x 1 x 5
    75 x 1 x 3
    85 x 1 x 3
    95 x 1 x 2
    105 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> felt better than last session. Still need to get a good video to see what was going on

Chins:
    BW x 1 x 7
    BW x 2 x 6

Form notes -> felt good. Had to take a shorter rest than usual due to time pressure

Single arm dumbbell rows:
    25 x 1 x 5
    30 x 1 x 5
    37.5 x 1 x 2
    42.5 x 1 x 5

Form notes -> I reduced the clicking in my left shoulder by not letting my shoulder fall too close to the ground (if that even makes sense - im pretty tired so my coherency is poor atm). Again, ran out of time so I only got 1 set of 5

Nutrition:
    MyFitnessPal is a god send.
    Calories -> 3499 cals
    Protein -> 196g
    Carbs -> 537g
    Fats -> 61g
    Number of meals -> breakfast (at 5pm), dinner, and a protein shake.
    Positives -> it's the most amount of food I've eaten in weeks, had no junkfood, got a decent amount of carbs.
    Negatives -> nowhere near enough protein or fats, didnt get time for vegetables, had only 2 meals, had only 4 servings of fruit (4 bananas), had no chicken breast.

I'll try to get out of bed before noon tomorrow, get 3 good meals in (with at least 2 grilled chicken breats) and continue to stay away from the junkfood. Hopefully I'll hit 3500 cals again.

Will try to update tomorrow.
    Last edited by SS2016; 05-14-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I'm barely getting into low bar position with my shoulder acting up. A few sets of light oh press and some shoulder dislocates before squatting help. Actually the first warm up sets are the worst then it gets to be almost normal (except for some annoying pain) as I load heavier.
    I've tried for months to correct my squatting form but nothing is working, mainly due to my anatomical kyphosis and the nerve injury to my left shoulder. I'm resigned to high bar until I see an SS coach (which should happen in the next 1-1.5 years).

Good luck with the squatting.

Was going to update last night but fell asleep.

BW:
    104.1kg
    Don't really understand why it's down. I weighed myself at 10am (compared to 5pm the previous day).

Nutrition:
    Protein -> 309g
    Carbs -> 573g
    Fat -> 82g
    Calories -> 4282cals
    Macros -> 29/54/17 (P/C/F)
    Positives -> got 3 full meals in, got at least 3500 calories, got my protein intake up, started back eating grilled lean chicken breasts, no junkfood
    Negatives -> might have had too many calories since I'm only starting to get my appetite back, am probably getting a bit too much carbs, need to increase my fat intake, still didnt get any vegetables

What's weird is how much calories I'm getting from such a small volume of food and that I'm not eating any junkfood. I've eaten 4-5 meals, each roughly the same volume, per day over the last few years but never counted my calories. I definitely underestimated how much I've been eating, yet I was/am fairly skinny and underweight despite probably getting well in excess of 4500 cals per day.

Also, my salt intake is pretty low (1.063g). Should I aim to increase it or just let it be? I assume when I start getting stuck into pizza and McDonald's multiple times per week, it will skyrocket so it might be best to just let it sit as it is.

My main goals for today is increase my fat intake and get a decent amount of veg into my diet.

starting strength coach development program
    What are you eating that allows you to hit these Macro numbers? I can't hit 4kcal without floating between 150-180g of fat!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast