starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    SS workouts don't fit well into 45 minute time frames, unless you do a 4 day split. I have done Medium and light day workouts in <45 minutes with a lot of hustle, but you'll never fit a 3 day split, volume/heavy Day into that window of time.
    Ya, I went and saw that you do rests up to 10min on heavy days. Is that right? So obvs gonna be closer to 1.5 hours by end of LP?

I did 1.5 hours today with 3 minute rests, but that's mostly because I happened to have the time and was jackin around with pullup variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    Ya, I went and saw that you do rests up to 10min on heavy days. Is that right? So obvs gonna be closer to 1.5 hours by end of LP?

I did 1.5 hours today with 3 minute rests, but that's mostly because I happened to have the time and was jackin around with pullup variations.
    10 min rest if you need it. I find 5-6 min tends to be sufficient for grinding squat sets of 5s, but I have rested longer at times. If I am starting a new cycle and relatively light, I may cut that down to 3-4 min.

4-5 min seems to be sufficient for presses and I'll often rest just 3 min for CG bench press, front squats, "light" day presses or any other sub-maximal variation. 3 min seems to be the absolute minimum for effective strength sets.

For Power Snatches programmed as doubles, I rest 2 min. For Power Cleans as triples, I rest 3 min (I believe both of those rest periods for Oly lifts are referenced in the book). Coming from Xfit, these rest lengths may seem like an eternity (there seems to be a general Xfit philosophy that any rest longer than 2 min is an ineffective use of time), but you'll get use to it fairly quickly, in fact, when squats become grindfests, you'll need 5 min to convince yourself to get under the bar again: 2 min of heavy breathing, 2 min of absolute dread, and 1 min of acceptance [emoji15]

poser, we had two 5 minute rest periods programmed in once... half the class could not take half that rest.

Thanks for the guidance though, that seems helpful.

testing 1, 2, 3 -- not sure if this updates based on my Google Sheet : edit: yep, just use 'IMG' tags and an active url. won't always update right away, but working for me linking from a Google sheet.

Linked graph tracking progess by projecting max. May tweak the weights of extra reps (with single sets of five and 1RM) and sets (with squat 3x5 and 1RM) as I get ops to test.

Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-02-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    Form check for anyone out there who wants to be extra helpful. Yes, I need to film from better angle for one!

2nd of 3 sets of 5 at 250#. Haven't done much real low bar; the main thing I see is I need to tighten up considerably in chest and upper back to eliminate excessive upper back rounding. Probably would help to take more time to get a breath at the top as well.

Hey, one thing I noticed is you look like you're butt winking at the bottom of the 2nd rep and maybe a little on the rest. Could be the reason you're rounding your upper back. Keep in mind I'm relatively new. I'm just getting this from the shit ton of squat form videos I've watched trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by deludeddrummer View Post
    Hey, one thing I noticed is you look like you're butt winking at the bottom of the 2nd rep and maybe a little on the rest. Could be the reason you're rounding your upper back. Keep in mind I'm relatively new. I'm just getting this from the shit ton of squat form videos I've watched trying to learn.
    Thanks, deludeddrummer. I hadn't noticed that since it was more extreme in upper back. I'm hoping that the extra time I spent today getting lots of breath in and everything tight a la Pavel Tsatsouline fixed the rounding at the bottom too.

And after reading the strengthlifting competition rulebook, I think my 225 press would have been red-lighted. I'm big on the heel-help! (dorsiflexion)

Default Bench Form Check

First of 3x5x275#. Backing off max to fix form and give recovery capacity to OHP.

Need to keep a steadier straight bar path (hit the J-cup on the way up on last rep), hit chest a little lower, stack wrist straighter, maybe elbows a little closer to body, move plates back to get my heels more solid on the ground.

Any other thoughts?

Default SS LP #3 (Day A)

Skwat
    3x5x285 (+10#)--- Still not grindy, so hopefully I'm good for the simply LP past 315# for reps. No belt yet, but I am feeling that may be more important for low bar, so I'll prob get one soon.

Press
    3x5x155 (+10#) --- Need to film a form check on these. Not a 5RM for sure, but I was really shaky from top to bottom since I tried to work in DL warmups and workset in between. That sped up the workout, but won't allow full rest between presses.

Deadlift
    1x5x300 (+5#) --- Easy, but I only jumped 5# because I was trying a new gym with possibly thicker bars than I'm used to and no chalk allowed! Hook gripped because of that; I wouldn't normally do that until past 335# on an Olympic bar. What's diameter on official Strengthlifting deadlift bar? Kept my weightlifting shoes on as well just to save time. May just continue that until LP stalls out.

200sec rests between workouts. I shortened rests for warmups to about a minute, skipped my usual row or airdyne warmup, and mixed warmup sets up into the other exercises. That got me in and out of the gym in under an hour, but it's clearly not sustainable. May have to change gyms to find at least 1.5 hours in the morning--that or switch to a four or five day split-- I don't think there is a 4 or 5 day SS LP described in SS:BBT 2nd ed., is there? Maybe I have to get Practical Programming to see that? I figure I'll have to read it within a few months anyway if I want to do an SS-style intermediate program.

Will do around 4x5 chest to ring pullups at home if I get out of work in time.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Both lower and upper back rounded on the squat. Get the upper back as tight as you can before you unrack - if you get your hands wedged in about as close to your shoulders as you can, it should force everything back there into position. For low back you just have to work on bracing. You are also a good bit below parallel, which can contribute to lumbar rounding. PL standard is hip crease below the top of the patela, which puts the femur ~parallel to the ground.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast