starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    7 August 2017, 6:30-8:15am

BW: 206# Lifetime PR

Sleep: fitful 6.5hr, family stuff and smoke inhalation. The firefires are terrible in BC this summer.

Bench:
    300 x 5,5,4 -- surprised I got that far. Maybe not possible to progress on bench while doing press 2x, bench 1x? Switch back to every other session?

Squat:
    365 x 3 x 5reps -- most uncomfortable sesh of my life. Elbow pain continues to ease, but left arm overall fatigue was ridic.

Tried to power clean and stretch into front rack between bench and squat worksets--too painful to get far on that.

Wednesday, 9 August 2017, 9:00-10:30am

BW: 206.5#

Sleep: 7.5hr

The smoke in Vancouver still sucks, hard to breathe, time to move back to the prairies.

Squat:
    light day at 275# x 3 x 5 -- took some time to stretch into it today. Def solidly into needing the HLH for squats.

Press:
    196.5# x 3 x 5 -- that's 1.5# jump from Friday's beltless lifts, def illegitimate 5th rep on the second set--basically a jerk, but I'm counting it since 3rd set went well. The catch-22 is that I need more heavy benching, but I also need more technique practice on the press = do both heavy bench and light press on the light squat day? gonna give that a try.

Deadlift:
    385# x 3 with few seconds rest in between, I'll add video when I get a chance. This is basically what I did beltless a week ago. Down to 5# jumps maybe starting at 375# on Friday, and maybe putting dead first since it seems a lot more finicky than my squats.

Basically my squat progress seems the most resilient to health, rest, recovery, nutrition, psych conditions. I'm hypothesizing that that means I can move squat to last in the workouts, and try to hit the others when I am freshest.

Chins:
    BW x 5
    +25# x 5
    +45# x 5

edit: adding video, 3 ok reps with a quick reset in between, then 2 awkward-feeling fails. looks like I'm not even trying = not enough frequency on this lift.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-09-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Dilemma is squat progress seems to be going well, but signs are that novice program may not be appropriate for any of my other lifts -- my upper body lifts are too heavy, and both upper body lifts and deadlift need more frequency for me to learn better technique. Going to maybe try this HLH variation keeping a standard HLH novice LP for squat, but adding a little intensity to press and more frequency to press, bench, and deadlift. Regulate volume a bit by putting a 90 minute cap on it, That may mean even fewer chins and continuing to not PC, but I'm okay with that if it can progress my competition lifts other than squat a little faster.

Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-09-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: small edits to program

Friday, 11 August 2017: 6:15 - 7:30a

I was helping a friend who is totally new to lifting this morning, so I didn't get the whole workout in.

Squat
    370# x 3s x 5r -- questioning how much longer I can do 5# jumps, even with HLH. Excelsior!

Dead
    1st intensity day. worked up through all the 25s and 45s to single at 405#, felt easier than last week.

Press
    Warmed up to 185#, didn't feel great and out of time. Probably just do a little bodyweight stuff at home to replace it then hope to kick off the modified program on Monday.

Edit: ..............But then I went back at lunch!

Bench
    225# x 3 x 5r -- knocked it out without much rest, but thinking "form, form, form" -- that's the point of this addition

Press
    200# x 3 x 3 -- but failed last rep, would be no problem if I took more than 2 minutes to rest-- obv in a rush today

Clean
    Just a few sets of 3 working up to 155#, hard to tell until I go heavier, but, while my flexibility is not too good for this position, it feels way stronger than a few months ago, some big PRs coming (prev. 225 1RM) once I stretch out again.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.

dubpost
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-11-2017 at 12:37 PM.

In which I get rekt, almost fall down, can't get my belt off, but finish another 3 x 5 with 5 more pounds:

14 August 2017: 6:30 - 7:50am

The req. light stuff to warm up:
    . . Bench
    . . 205# x 3 x 5 -- @68% last working weight - paused.

. . Dead
    . . 225# x 5 -- 58% last working weight

Squat
    375# x 3 x 5reps -- How many more times can I make this jump? Always 1 more time?

between squats:
    . . PC
    . . 135# x 3 x 3 -- program says 5x3, I do what I have time for. Hoping to improve front rack with just a bit of this 3x week

. . Chins
    . . BW x 3 x 5r

Press
    190# x 1,f -- "6.5# deload means I can jump into this right after getting fucked by squats.".... nope, out of time to properly rest and get this in.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-14-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Wed, 16 Aug '17: 10:40-11:55a

BW: 202.5# what? why? how eat more? start tracking macros now, I hate tracking macros... maybe breakfast cereal to up my carbs, carbs may be at fault... I hate breakfast cereal

Competition Lifts
    ..Squat: light day
    275# x 3 x 5 -- some pausing, just trying to stretch out and fix The Elbow Problem, not sure how much success I had with that, we'll see with 380# tomorrow.

..Press
    190# x 3 x 5 -- 6.5# reset, the weight I was supposed to do Monday, RPE: not easy, but not like death. go up by 1#s until I fix the tendinitis?

..Dead
    385# x 5 -- a set of 5 singles? watch the video and tell me if this is ok way to do it! Part of the problem was I haven't filed my pointy thumb calluses in a while, so I was tearing a bit on last three reps. In any case, going down to 5# jumps even though that means squat working weight going to pass deadlift again-- at least it's solidly ahead of my bench unlike when I started lifting again 9 months ago.

Ass. Lifts
    Bench
    225# x 2 x 5 -- 0-3-0 pause benching, subbed this for heavy bench day bc prioritizing the missed press workout, also tried floor pressing a bit bc I was curious -- I think it is just about the dumbest thing I've ever seen happen in a gym--makes zero sense

Chins
    3 sets of 5 at BW, followed 2 sets with toes-to-bar, no weight added bc couldn't find dip belt. some bicep pain, so probably just as well

PC
    several singles taking time to stretch at top and into front squat -- so tight today! 135#

btw, E1RM strengthlifting total now at 1110#, so beat the poll consensus maybe, anxious to throw some intensity in there to get a better idea of where I'm really at. Especially on squat since I've never been under more than I'm doing 3x5 now. plan is three more weeks of HLH on squat unless I stall before then.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-16-2017 at 07:06 PM.

18 August 2017: 4:30 - 5:50p

BW: back to 205#, last 2 days just over 5000 cals, good reminder of how hard I need to be eating. When I track only going to track cals, since it looks like my macros and micros get covered pretty well without trying. The main thing I tried to add was more carbs, I'd probably been slacking on that by about a 1000 cals. Means my maintenance cals are probably at least 4500.

Squat
    380# x 3 x 5r -- I'd been dreading this based on how hard 375 was on Monday, but it turned out definitely easier than 375 had felt. Eating your way through the end of LP is probably a huge factor.

Dead
    singles @ 135, 225, 315, 425# - def lifetime PR, not as hard as I thought. I think my 1RM is probably higher than the projected 433#.

Press
    205# x 3 x 3r -- intensity day feels nice. widened my grip to just inside clean grip, the narrowest I could be and get bar to my chest between reps. tried to bow just a bit, probably went a little further than I meant to--less than most "2.0" vids, more than Jordan F. Will continue to experiment a little but I feel my ideal grip is closer to this than the super narrow floating rack I've been using recently. Not a true 3x3 since heel came up on rep 3 of 2nd set and failed rep 3 of 3rd followed by a wee push press to get it up.

PC
    About a dozen at 135# just to stretch out. paused front squat on most of them, a few jerks.

Will try to do some pushups with family on back and some unweighted ring pullups tomorrow. My feelz say that upper body could benefit from an extra light day. Plus the kidz like going for a ride on my back.

21 Aug 2017 Eclipse Monday, 6:15 - 7:40a

so, oof.... squat 385# x 3 x 5r -- lots of life factors made this pretty bad and slow. Carefully slowed video and checked depth of my very last rep. If it was high, I was done LP. Some of the others were high, but last rep at least is buried. What happens if I just keep going and someday soon finally fail a rep? Will I die?

Press - failed first rep of 15 at 195# bc left arm fatigue, experimental grip too wide, got in front of me.... more to come today, I hope.

ders da last rep: not maybe "buried", but pretty good depth, yes? prob need to get shins more vertical to make it obvious.

p.s., discussion of my elbow problem with squat in technique forum
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-21-2017 at 02:33 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Then yesterday I went to a silly gym close to work to finish up the intended workout after only getting squats done in the morning. The place did have one squat rack and plenty of weight lying around, so not the worst gym in the world, but I've never seen a space so crowded with benches, smith machines, and curling apparatti. And push-up sports bras were apparently obligatory. Twas a silly place.

Press
    185# x 3 x 5 -- not sure where to go with this now.

Dead
    225# x 2 x 5 -- light day to practice movement

Bench
    225# x 2 x 5 -- long pause, light day

Clean
    Some at 135#

So then on the way out I put on my enormous bike-commuting backpack, walk over to one of those strange pull-up stations that doesn't offer normal pullup options and crank out a quick 10 with the backpack on. As I walk out the door, half the gym was staring at me.... maybe because I forgot my push-up sports bra?

Overall a weird experience, felt pretty claustrophobic.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 08-22-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast