starting strength gym

View Poll Results: CrossFatter w/ 925# Strengthlifting total:How far will SS linear progression take me?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • <1100#

7 70.00%
  • 1150#

0 0%
  • 1200#

1 10.00%
  • 1250#

2 20.00%
  • >1300#

0 0%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CrossFatter LP

Default CrossFatter LP

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    31yo, 5'7", 185#. Love competitive and variety aspects of CF. I'm 6 months into that. But trying to get stronger than pure CF will allow.

PRs before SS:
    Squat 365
    Bench 350
    DL 385
    OHP 225

And just for fun, I'll track what SS + light technique work can do for some non SS movements (I'm hopeful)
    C+J 225
    Snatch 170
    Front Squat 340
    MU 4
    Freestanding hspu 2

First SS day:
    Sq 3x5x250. Learning low bar
    OHP 3x5x145. Not much strict lately!
    DL 1x5x275. Learning conventional
    4 mu, 3x5 ring pu

Feels extremely low volume for what I'm used to. Sticking with few mods for a while though. A little worried about what will happen to my 50bpm hr and <6min mile.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 05-31-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Oh, important other info that I should log. Shooting for 4000 cals a day and 200 g protein, not going to track that closely for now though. Shooting for 8 hours sleep a day. Will log that more closely if a hit plateau. I do some bad food when I feel like I just need to slam a couple big macs to get my calorie count up, but also loads of fruits and veggies, creatine, milk. Concentrating on higher cal has given me significant muscle size gains in last few months using standard CF classes (from L to XL t-shirts, no change in waist), but very little strength gains.

Anyone out there have experience with SS linear progression starting from numbers like mine? I'm hoping I can add at least 200# to *strengthlifting* total before needing an intermediate program.

Btw, I see lots of CrossFatters get to somewhere near my numbers (except on bench) on standard CF programming, but very few get beyond that without a more focused strength cycle. There are some, but they are <1% genetic freaks with very good lifestyle factors.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 05-31-2017 at 05:03 PM.

My plan for the olympic lifts is to just do hang + full + Front Squat/OH Squat complexes at about 60% and from ground 10 minute EMOMs at 60-85%.

Do that at least 2 days a week and do just a few max effort every few weeks when I feel great.

If DL stalls, I may cut back on that, but I'd like, at the very least, to maintain mobility and not deteriorate technique too much. I've only been serious about progressing CJ and snatch for the last few months, but that's one of the reasons I think this won't interfere with SS program--the weight's just not that heavy yet.

As a side note, while I haven't improved powerlift weights for a while, O-lifts have resulted in a much more powerful execution of all 4 main SS lifts.

Welcome. Starting numbers are impressive.

From Xfit to SS? Congrats on the quality of life upgrade. Major congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    From Xfit to SS? Congrats on the quality of life upgrade. Major congrats.
    Ha! Maybe I am just trolling for the CF hate. I'm not actually quitting CF the sport, but always been skeptical of CF as strength-training. Very similar to the way just playing football isn't something that can make you insanely strong (or maybe gymnastics is a closer example).

And my local CF gyms are by far the best places in BC Canada Lower Mainland to do SS + Olympic.

But, yes, very little to zero CF happening in my life until I know for sure that SS is working for me-- one variable at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Starting numbers are impressive.
    Thanks for the welcome. And, yes, starting numbers higher than usual novice because of accidental adherence to LP in high school (for bench and squat, never heard of DL at that time) then a hundred different sport obsessions for the last decade!

Form check for anyone out there who wants to be extra helpful. Yes, I need to film from better angle for one!

2nd of 3 sets of 5 at 250#. Haven't done much real low bar; the main thing I see is I need to tighten up considerably in chest and upper back to eliminate excessive upper back rounding. Probably would help to take more time to get a breath at the top as well.

Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.

SS Day 2 (B)
    Squat -- 3x5x275 (+25#, will stick to +5# hereafter, +10# a few more times only if feeling excellent)
    Bench -- 3x5x275 (yes, same as squat, I can tell squat will pull ahead more soon!, sticking to +5# since this is my most advanced lift, and I want to save recovery for OHP)
    DL ----- 1x5x295 (+20#, maybe +10# from here, 20# on Monday if last warmup feels easy and perfect)

Started all four main SS lifts with room to grow, maybe RPE 6 on all. I can already tell this is good for my form, especially since I was high bar squat and more comfortable sumo DL before. (And just hadn't practiced frequently enough, one of the main weaknesses of most CF programming for someone who isn't a perfect natural mover.)

Scheduled to start adding weight to 3x5 pullups today, but instead did 5 high chest to bars, 5 bar muscle ups, couple sets of several hips to rings, 1 legless rope climb (15'), then a couple weighted bar muscle ups (17.5# vest). HAHA, I know, "not doing the program", but didn't do anything to exhaustion; probably easier than a couple heavy sets of weighted pullups, so it shouldn't interfere with recovery, and I'm about to get 72 hours rest.

No time for CJ and snatch the way I'm doing it now. I'm going to try to shrink warmup rest times from 90 to 60 sec. Keep work set rests at 180 or by feel up to around 60 seconds longer than that. How does anyone get the program done in 45 minutes in and out? May have to wait to do much O-lifts until I'm DL every other workout just because of the time I have available right now. Should be a decent test of how much a month or two of basic SS might improve PC without practicing it. Most recent max PC was 215x5. I don't think full CJ will be a good test since it will take some time to get technique back if I leave it alone for a month.
    Last edited by Itchysoles; 06-02-2017 at 12:09 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    SS workouts don't fit well into 45 minute time frames, unless you do a 4 day split. I have done Medium and light day workouts in <45 minutes with a lot of hustle, but you'll never fit a 3 day split, volume/heavy Day into that window of time.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast