starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MWY's training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhart View Post
    Does the book call for squats to be last on the light day?
    The book does not, I got the idea from this Barbell Medicine podcast a few weeks ago. Jordan mentioned that the first change he'll make to a trainee's program when they start to stall is to introduce the light squat day and move deadlifts to the beginning of the workout that day. It's been working for me the last few weeks.

Today's workout:
    Deadlift: 335 x 5 x 1. I'm actually on vacation this week and the gym I'm using unfortunately only has hex plates, so that was annoying, but the set felt pretty good despite having to reset my feet after every rep.
    Bench: 212.5 x 5 x 3. Bench is feeling much better since I started micro-loading. Get fractional plates people, they are definitely worth the investment!
    Squat: 225 x 5 x 3.

I actually caught that podcast today!

Another successful Friday:
    Squat: 285 x 5 x 3
    Press: 132.5 x 5 x 3
    Lat Pull Downs: 200 x 5 x 3

Another day, another workout:
    Squat: 290 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 215 x 5 x 3

Unfortunately I had to cut out the lat pull downs today in order to make it to work on time, but squats and bench both went very well.

First workout at Barbell Brigade in LA this morning. Fantastic gym, solid equipment.

Deadlift: 340 x 5 x 1. This was the first time I've deadlifted with a quality barbell on a platform and it felt fantastic.
    Press: 135 x 5 x 3. Got that 1 plate overhead working weight! Very excited to hit this milestone, two plate bench and three plate squat are coming in the next few weeks too!
    Squat: 230 x 5 x 3. Still loving having the light squat day. Being able to focus 100% on form has been very helpful.

So, had an embarrassing moment today and failed my last squat rep because I lost my balance going forward out of the hole...
    Squat: 295 x 5 x 2, 4 x 1. First set felt heavy, but I definitely had that last rep in me. I think I was too aggressive going down and ended up leaning on my toes slightly. Thankfully I wasn't hurt!
    Bench: 217.5 x 5 x 3.
    Barbell Rows: 185 x 5 x 3. Really going off the program now, lol. I was going to do Lat Pull downs, but the machine at Barbell Brigade only goes up to 200 lbs., when I was scheduled for 205. After debating what to do for a few minutes, I decided to just get some lat work in with the rows.

One last thing to note, I still have more novice gains to make, but the workouts are beginning to take too long and interfere with my work schedule. I'm probably going to switch to a 4-day U/L split starting next week to try to trim the workout time down to just over 1 hr.

Decided to see if introducing back-off sets while still going for more novice progression would help cut workout time down, and it didn't enough to really continue pushing it.

Squat: 300 x 5, 270 x 5 x 2.
    Press: 137.5 x 5, 120 x 5 x 2.
    Power Cleans: 65kg x 3 x 5. Barbell Brigade has bumper plates, platforms, and good bars, so I'm working on these again.

I'm going to continue linear progression for the rest of this week and then I think I'll be starting a 4-day Texas Method next week.

Today:

Deadlift: 345 x 5. Sleep has been rough the last few days as one of my kids is sick, and I definitely felt it during this set. Got all the reps but it was a grind from the start.
    Bench: 220 x 5, 200 x 5 x 2. Bench felt solid today.
    Squat: 240 x 5 x 3.

starting strength coach development program
    Today:

Squat: 305 x 5, 275 x 5 x 2. Felt a bit nervous going into the top set because my last warmup single at 275 felt really heavy, but the work sets went smoothly.
    Press: 140 x 4 x 1, 125 x 5 x 2. All four reps at 140 felt pretty grindy and the last one I just couldn't move past my sticking point. I'm pretty sure I just didn't rest enough between my last warmup and getting under the bar, but I had to go for it so I could get to work.
    Barbell Rows: 185 x 6 x 3. Working my way up to sets of 8 for these, then will add more weight. Ultimate goal of the rows is to replace them with chins/pull ups.

I'm going to be starting a 4-day Texas Method split on Monday, and will be starting a new log for that. Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12