starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curls and Abs, baby! Curls and Abs!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I doubt that you can gain much weight with such a small caloric intake. You won't gain much strength either.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    I doubt that you can gain much weight with such a small caloric intake. You won't gain much strength either.
    My experience historically is in line with Dr. Feigenbaum's starting recommendations from his TBAB article (although his recommended fat and carb intakes are higher and lower, respectively, than what I've used in the past). In any case, I've got my eye on it and am perfectly happy to adjust as needed.

Weight: 158.5 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 152 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @102.5 lbs
    Clean: 5x3 @ 100 lbs

- 1st set of squats felt unreasonably heavy due to a breakdown in form (back angle too vertical, failure to sufficiently push knees out). 2nd and 3rd sets felt just right after correcting form errors.

- presses felt heavy, almost a grind on the last rep (ease up on the increase next time, accelerate caloric increase [currently about 500 cals under where I really need to be])

- cleans felt good but still a little light, stick with another 5 lbs increase next time, work on consciously turning elbows out and shrugging during jump, probably being too timid with the explosivity thing (an overcorrection after hitting myself in the face during a warm up set), sudden death or total paralysis from the neck down is surely imminent due to lack of bumper plates
    Last edited by fogbutter; 06-29-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Weight: 160 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 155 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @145 lbs
    Deadlift: 5x1 @ 245 lbs

- Squat notes: felt heavy but good, still need to work on breaking at hips and knees simultaneously (currently hips seem to break after knees in most reps). Hip drive looks better on most reps but still needs some improvement.

- Bench notes: added 1 lb more that what I originally had programmed for today, increased grip width by about 1 inch on each side to correct forearm position at bottom of lift . . . felt better and stronger (*almost* too light despite the additional weight).

- Deadlift notes: felt just right despite some pre-existing uncomfortableness in my lower back (minor and with causes unrelated to lifting).

Weight: 161.4 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 160 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @103.5 lbs
    Clean: 5x3 @ 105 lbs

- Everything felt pretty heavy (especially presses) but not unmanageable

- Very minor thoracic flexion on 3rd set of squats . . . elbows a little high

- First couple of sets of cleans were pretty rough, but got better after that (better explosion). Will slow down progression to 2.5 lbs

- America!

Weight: 162 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 162.5 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @147.5 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 250 lbs

- Deadlifts were brutal. Felt a slight deterioration in form with my shoulders/upper back on last couple of reps, and thought for a second that i might miss the last rep (no real danger of that in retrospect . . . just felt so much heavier than I expected). Will ease up on progression (2.5 lbs) next deadlift session and reevaluate w/ video.

- Everything else felt spot on.

Goshdarnit, where are all those curls and ab work, man!

I'm one who loves to oil up, stand in front of a mirror nekked and curl for hours, admiring my finely sculpted abs of steel and writhing bicipital pythons!

Okay, not really, but I did have a mental picture going!

You're making good progress. Keep it up, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Weight: 161.8 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 167.5 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @105 lbs
    Clean: 5x3 @ 107.5 lbs

- Everything heavy but good, with the exception of cleans which might have been a little light.

- Slightly bigger jump on presses than programmed for today (1.5 lbs instead of 1) but still felt fine. Struggle on last rep but no danger of missing.

- End of week 3.

Default 3 week retrospective . . .

3 week retrospective . . .

Weight: 157 -> 161.8 lbs (+ 4.8)
    Squat (work set): 132 ->167.5 lbs (+35.5)
    Press (work set): 95 -> 105 lbs (+10)
    Bench (work set): 135 -> 147.5 lbs (+12.5)
    Deadlift (work set): 225 -> 250 lbs (+25)
    Clean (work set, only 2 weeks): 95 -> 107.5 lbs (12.5)
    Workouts missed: 0
    Catastrophes caused from lack of bumper plates when doing cleans: 0
    Retinas burned with yellow, retina burning shoes: All of the retinas

I've been timid on the amount of weight I've added to my squat every workout. 5 lbs jumps feels like a lot, and I notice my form (which I'm still working on improving) deteriorate slightly when I go that high. 2.5 - 3 lbs feels more manageable, but I'm going to start being more disciplined here by sticking with 5 lbs jumps every workout for a week to see how I adjust/feel. Having finally come up to speed on my caloric intake should help.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 163 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 172.5 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @150 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 252.5 lbs

All good (but heavy . . . for me)! Deadlifts felt a lot better today.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast